Hi Rev Chevy? by Beene
Started on: 12-24-2003 11:59 PM
Replies: 24
Last post by: Shadow_Wolf on 12-29-2003 11:31 PM
Beene

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2003 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BeeneSend a Private Message to BeeneDirect Link to This Post
What would be the best engine to swap into my car If I wanted a real hi-revving setup?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
donk316

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
User Banned

Report this Post12-25-2003 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Direct Link to This Post
Well legend goes that the 3.4 dohc will see 7000 rpm unmodded. So with mods and a good machinist i could see it hitting 8000. Then again my 3.4 PR will see 7000 no problem also but then there is that little thing called reliability.

------------------

bushroot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2003 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bushrootSend a Private Message to bushrootDirect Link to This Post
Quad 4's and Ecotecs rev pretty high. The Northstar and Shortstar aren't bad either.
Solo2

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
User Banned

Report this Post12-25-2003 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Solo2Send a Private Message to Solo2Direct Link to This Post
Any engine that is machined a built right means some dough spent can see +6,000 rpm.
All it takes is money. My engine conversion, the head work will be warrantied to 7,000 rpm, but it costs me an arm and a leg. Not your standard head work.
So the qusetion is why do you need such high rpms? Are you into drag racing? Oval track competetion?
Remember it costs $$$
virii01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2003 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virii01Send a Private Message to virii01Direct Link to This Post
A Chevy 302
The_Raven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2003 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_RavenClick Here to visit The_Raven's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_RavenDirect Link to This Post
One of the other guys that is in the shop I'm in has a BBC that the previous owner shifted at 10800, on nitrous, so just about any engine can be built to rev.

------------------
The Raven :Under Construction
"James" 1985 GMC Jimmy, 3.2L turbocharged intercooled hybrid 13.873 @ 99.08

"Speed Costs, How fast do you want to go?"

iluvmacs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2003 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iluvmacsClick Here to visit iluvmacs's HomePageSend a Private Message to iluvmacsDirect Link to This Post
Honda S2000 engine. Can't get any better than that. Revs to 9000, hp peak around 8200, and as reliable as any other honda engine.

Torque is overrated

Sacred

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2003 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SacredSend a Private Message to SacredDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by iluvmacs:

Honda S2000 engine. Can't get any better than that. Revs to 9000, hp peak around 8200, and as reliable as any other honda engine.

Torque is overrated

nah

TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2003 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CDirect Link to This Post

Torque is overrated

Torque is everything, it's horsepower that is meaningless.

fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2003 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackDirect Link to This Post
hi revin' 327
i hear that that the peak hp in the pontiac vibes and toyota matrix's is somewhere around 8500...
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2003 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
You can create a high rev power plant out of just about any really good engine, as long as it's not a long stroke power plant. What you will sacrifice is low end torque in the process, because you have to run the right cam, or custom grind to get the engine to perform up in the 5 digit range. You better confirm that the engine has a 'forged' crank, and hi-tech rods/pistons in order to survive!
PFF
System Bot
iluvmacs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2003 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iluvmacsClick Here to visit iluvmacs's HomePageSend a Private Message to iluvmacsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fastblack:

hi revin' 327
i hear that that the peak hp in the pontiac vibes and toyota matrix's is somewhere around 8500...

The GT peaks at 7600, and all the others peak at 6000. Those cars get 25/30 (GT) or 29/36 miles per gallon. No V-8 could do that, unless it peaked around 9000 rpm and was never driven past 3000.

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2003 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post

No V-8 could do that, unless it peaked around 9000 rpm and was never driven past 3000.

After that comment, I had to look at your 'Profile', then it all made sense, you're still a Student!

donk316

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
User Banned

Report this Post12-26-2003 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Direct Link to This Post
Kids these days...
iluvmacs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2003 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for iluvmacsClick Here to visit iluvmacs's HomePageSend a Private Message to iluvmacsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

After that comment, I had to look at your 'Profile', then it all made sense, you're still a Student!

All the more reason for someone to correct me. How can you get any kind of gas mileage out of a V-8 when the torque peak is so low? Gas mileage is proportional to horsepower, which means that at low HP, you get better mileage.

With the torque of a V-8 being so high, to get the same mileage as an engine with much less torque, the torque would have to be the same at the same RPM. This means that the 4cyl peak would be low, and the 8cyl would be very high.

Japanese cars get better mileage because their engines peak at much higher RPM than those of american cars. Of course, they don't have any torque at low RPM like the american engines, but that's the whole point of this argument/discussion.

86 FIERO GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2003 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 FIERO GTSend a Private Message to 86 FIERO GTDirect Link to This Post
Gas mileage is directionally proportionate to foot on peddle.

Higher tourque bands tend to get better gas mileage because you are not always winding the motor up to use it in traffic, therefore motor doesn't use all any of its gas mileage eatin power.

Am I somewhat right Cali?

Iluvmacs, have you ever driven an S2000? There is no power untill you get to 6-7K and above. It is not fun to drive if you can't wind it up to take off. Another problem is the first couple times you dump the clutch its burnt and needs replacing.

[This message has been edited by 86 FIERO GT (edited 12-27-2003).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2003 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post

All the more reason for someone to correct me. How can you get any kind of gas mileage out of a V-8 when the torque peak is so low? Gas mileage is proportional to horsepower, which means that at low HP, you get better mileage.

With the torque of a V-8 being so high, to get the same mileage as an engine with much less torque, the torque would have to be the same at the same RPM. This means that the 4cyl peak would be low, and the 8cyl would be very high.

Japanese cars get better mileage because their engines peak at much higher RPM than those of american cars. Of course, they don't have any torque at low RPM like the american engines, but that's the whole point of this argument/discussion.

This 'String' started by 'Beene' was focused on "Hi Rev Chevy with Best Engine Swap" stated, there is no mention of fuel economy in that statement. Just my opinion, but if we're talking all out performance that puts a smile on your face, fuel economy doesn't belong in the same room. I also made the assumption that he's talking of a SBC, which I could be wrong about, but there are plenty of modified SBC's out there that will turn 10,000 rpm without a problem. I've seen a few 'Fuel Injected' SBC's that run this high as well, and they are very 'fuel efficient' for what they put out in terms of Horsepower/Torque.

Personally I'm not set for fuel economy, or high rpm (6,200 max) in my setup, performance chip was burned on the slightly rich side on purpose, but it does get 21 mpg with your foot in it nearly all of the time.

Anyway, my post at you was relative to the SBC not being able to pull hi rpms. You'd be amazed of what the engine is capable of with the right treatments and parts. It wasn't meant as a 'Flame', just do some more research.

iluvmacs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2003 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iluvmacsClick Here to visit iluvmacs's HomePageSend a Private Message to iluvmacsDirect Link to This Post
That's exactly why I ask questions. I'll add this to my collection. Thanks for the input.

BTW, I have driven an S2000, but since it wasn't mine I didn't worry about the clutch. It was like riding a sport bike (which I used to own). Sure it was slow until 6k RPM, but that matches my driving style perfectly. I know I'm quite different from the majority of people when it comes to driving style, so I try not to argue too much.

ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2003 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post
First off i really have no idea what this post is ending out to be,,it really is just confusing,,but to answer the first question...What do u want and how much money u have?

If u have a stricted fee i would say go for a 3.4DOHC v6,there is tons of info and people who have done this swap..if money is no object then hey the sky is the limit,u can have a 500hp+ 1300cc turbo to a 7250rpm 383..But before we go on we need to know WHAT U WANT AND HOW MUCH DO U HAVE TO PUT TOWARDS IT..

Last thing i dont understand..people swear up and down that they want the best gas-milage they can get then they turn around and drop in a v8..it makes no sense..u want a good mileage car buy a honda..u want a monster drop a v8 in a fiero,,remember to make hp u need more air and gas to pump in to it

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2003 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post

That's exactly why I ask questions. I'll add this to my collection. Thanks for the input.

BTW, I have driven an S2000, but since it wasn't mine I didn't worry about the clutch. It was like riding a sport bike (which I used to own). Sure it was slow until 6k RPM, but that matches my driving style perfectly. I know I'm quite different from the majority of people when it comes to driving style, so I try not to argue too much.

Know exactly what you're talking about, my Ninja doesn't even wake up till the tach reaches 6,500 then it's hold on time all the way to 14,000 rpm!!!

The major problem with any carburated engine 'high rpm' engine is that they just plain suck in city driving, that's why most hot rodders will be reving the engines at idle, to clear the plugs as they tend to load up. Also, people running these type of power plants run a high numberical axle ratio, so that the engine isn't in the low 'flat' zone for very long out of the hole. Fuel Injection does cure a lot of these issues, along with proper cam, and gear ratio selection. Anyone doing a hi rpm SBC swap in a Fiero would definately want the manual 4:10 transmission.

------------------

http://www.cartsys.com/fiero/cal-engine.wav

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 12-27-2003).]

Beene

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2003 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BeeneSend a Private Message to BeeneDirect Link to This Post
Well I was planning on doing a SBC swap and I do have 4.10's, the car is mainly used for city to-work-and-back driving but every so often I like to put my foot into it and I occasionally visit the strip. Money isn't much of a option but I would like to keep this under 10Grand Canadian. What can I get for that assuming I do the labor of assembly. What can you get for 5G's? It will be carburated as it isn't a winter car so I have no REAL need for Fuel injection and like to tinker. Oh and Finally, This is a sports car, WHO GIVES A SH$^ ABOUT FUEL ECONOMY? If I wanted 70miles per gallon I'd be driving a Volkswagen diesel.
PFF
System Bot
GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2003 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post

Torque is overrated

that sucks

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2003 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

I have no idea where you got these ideas... best to lurk for a while longer.

"Japanese" and small engines in general get good gas mileage because they're small and the car's they're in are light, etc... They're working relatively hard to move the car, so they're operating at high manifold pressures, which improves thermodynamic efficiency.

V8's can get very good gas mileage if they're setup right. A C5 Corvette can approach 30 MPG on the highway, even modified, because it's geared to turn 1800 RPM at 80 MPH to take advantage of the V8's low RPM torque. At that low RPM, even though a lot of torque is on tap, the engine still has to work harder than it would if it were spinning faster. That means that it's operating at a high manifold pressure, which means greater thermodynamic efficiency.

------------------
'87 Fiero GT: Northstar, Getrag, TGP wheels, rear sway bar, rod end links, bushings, etc.
'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: Leaking ABS unit fixed, load levelling rear suspension fixed, still slow

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2003 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Beene, if you've got the money to spend, all you need to decide now is whether you want to build the engine yourself or have someone else build it. John Lingenfetler built a 1400hp small block. So either you can build it yourself with all the right stuff to make it capable of hitting 10k rpms without missing a beat, or you can have a professional company like Lingenfelter build it for you. Either way you can get you high revving small block if you're willing to put in the time and cash.
Shadow_Wolf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2003 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shadow_WolfSend a Private Message to Shadow_WolfDirect Link to This Post

I'll be honest, I don't find Japanese cars to be any better on fuel economy on a proportional scale. The small compacts are good on gas because they're completely gutless. Small car, really small engine. When you start getting into equal performance levels, there's very little difference in fuel economy between a Japanese and a North American engine.

Then look at Kia's, those pieces of junk aren't even good on gas! Their minivan rates at 24 miles per METRIC gallon. That's really crappy.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock