downshifting at 70mph? by vwaltdog
Started on: 12-24-2003 11:12 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Jncomutt on 12-25-2003 09:31 AM
vwaltdog

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2003 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vwaltdogSend a Private Message to vwaltdogDirect Link to This Post
ok here is the problem, I have a Isuzu 5-speed tranny hooked up to my v8 engine. When I'm on the highway doing about 70mph someone comes up beside me and wants to see what my car can do. I step on it and they pull away from me. I can hear they have an auto trans and I can hear it downshift. How hard would it be on the engine and trans if I downshifted to 4th gear.
Thanks,
Matt
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rainman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2003 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
I do it all the time when some PITA won't let me pass them on the freeway. 4th at 70 should only be about 3.5K rpm or lower.
Beene

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2003 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BeeneSend a Private Message to BeeneDirect Link to This Post
If you really want to find out what it will be at just start off on an open road accelerating and watch the max speed/RPM's when you leave fourth. That way you control exactly where you shift without blowing anything up and you will know at what speed you can safely downshift
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2003 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Like he said, you just have to know the max speed for each gear so you know when and when not to downshift without blowing up the motor. My Ferraro with 4 speed, always gets downshifted if im under 70 and want some pickup quick, like on a two lane.
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2003 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
i do it all the time in Ling.

------------------
Buddy - there are two "G"s in my name
Ling = 84SE-350-N2O-Poly-Mr.Mike seats-Sequential turn signals-short shifter
Julia C = 85GT stock (mostly)
KCFOG
got a broken stud?
car doesn't crank over?

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2003 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
If you want to be safe, you double clutch

Into neutral, clutch out, rev up, clutch in, downshift, clutch out with revs up.

With v8 torque, double clutch is good insurance.

With me it is 4th to 3rd. I normally revup before I drop the clutch on 3rd but I am running a v6.

DrDave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2003 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrDaveSend a Private Message to DrDaveDirect Link to This Post
I used to do it when provoked back when I had the Sunbeam Tiger. 4th to 3rd, 3rd to 2nd at 70, Nail it (Not a heck of a lot left,but the 2nd to 3rd shift would really lanuch.)
85 Fiero 3.1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2003 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 Fiero 3.1Send a Private Message to 85 Fiero 3.1Direct Link to This Post
What is the purpose for double clutching?? Can someone explain?
donk316

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
User Banned

Report this Post12-25-2003 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Direct Link to This Post
Double clutching is old school for trannies that had no synchro's. Where you had to match rpm to speed. I have no idea how that would apply to this situation.
Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2003 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
It keeps the RPM's up and makes the shift into the gear easier and keeps the engine in its powerband when you engage the clutch in the next (higher or lower) gear. Either way, it better matches the RPM's of the engine to the speed of the wheels/axle. Lets you get a lot more power on the upshift and not beat on your motor on a hard downshift. The draw back is that since you are slipping the clutch at higher RPM's, it eats up the clutch much faster than normal driving.
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2003 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Why do you need to 'double clutch' though?? Other than when doing it for braking, etc, you bring the rpms up when downshifting naturally. It prevents the jerk when u let off the clutch, and in racing, its good to keep the engine speed up when going thru the turn, even though slowing down.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock