Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Should I just get rid of the whole EGR system?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Should I just get rid of the whole EGR system? by Razor_Wing
Started on: 12-21-2003 07:57 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Tryxalon on 12-23-2003 07:18 AM
Razor_Wing

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Razor_WingSend a Private Message to Razor_WingDirect Link to This Post
Ok, the EGR on my car right now does'nt work (the vaccume line to the sensor is GONE), and on the engine I'm working on, the EGR tube is broken. I was just wondering if you guys think I should just say scew the system and take it all off, and weld the hole in the upper intake closed (I'm thinking that it would'nt take any HP (mabie even give some) and take 1-2lbs off). Or should I go thorugh the work and money to get it working agian (on the engine)? Is there anykind of advantage to having it on (other then emmisions)? There is no emmisions laws in my county, and I don't even have a cat right now (previous owner replaced it with a...pipe...), but I might put one on. Just wondering what you guys think and know about this. Thx in advance!

------------------

www.freewebs.com/fierogti

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Azriel

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-21-2003 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AzrielSend a Private Message to AzrielDirect Link to This Post
My EGR is blocked off. Previous owner did it. Go for it.
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
Which vac line is missing?
The two in the back that cross over to the other side or the one in front (it's supposed to have a foam filter open to air). That one is not necessary but some still have hoses open to air.

aaronrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
User Banned

Report this Post12-21-2003 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Razor_Wing:

Ok, the EGR on my car right now does'nt work (the vaccume line to the sensor is GONE), and on the engine I'm working on, the EGR tube is broken. I was just wondering if you guys think I should just say scew the system and take it all off, and weld the hole in the upper intake closed (I'm thinking that it would'nt take any HP (mabie even give some) and take 1-2lbs off). Or should I go thorugh the work and money to get it working agian (on the engine)? Is there anykind of advantage to having it on (other then emmisions)? There is no emmisions laws in my county, and I don't even have a cat right now (previous owner replaced it with a...pipe...), but I might put one on. Just wondering what you guys think and know about this. Thx in advance!

aaronrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
User Banned

Report this Post12-21-2003 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post

aaronrus

870 posts
Member since Nov 2003
if the EGR is frozen, and you dont have any pre-ignition problems, then just get rubber caps for all vaccum holes, block them off, and your fine..

Razor_Wing

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Razor_WingSend a Private Message to Razor_WingDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Indiana_resto_guy:

Which vac line is missing?
The two in the back that cross over to the other side or the one in front (it's supposed to have a foam filter open to air). That one is not necessary but some still have hoses open to air.

Neither, lol. It's one the other side of the intake manifold, the vaccume line that goes into the EGR sensor (that lets the ECU know when to turn the EGR on and off). lol. So what do you say?

having some probles there aaronrus? lol. You're suposted to type too . J/K.

Azriel, Does it do anything positive for ya? Anything bad? Just wonding. You've got to pick up a little reliabality from loosing those parts because that is a fiew things less that can screw up/go wrong. lol. I'm looking for someone to tell me ANY reason why not (and have something to back it up too).

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
NEVER take off the egr system. It works with the ecm to put in exhaust gasses in the combustion chamber to cool cyl temps. Without it you are bound to get a ping unless you set the timing back. It also leans out the cyls. with the aid of the ecm which also cools down temps and improves fuel mileage.....not to mention emissions.

IF IT AINT BROKE, DON'T FIX IT. IF IT NEEDS FIXING......FIX IT.

Phil

------------------
87 FIERO GT 2.8 5spd

If you found my advice helpful, please take the time to give me a positive rating. Thanks

Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2003 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post

Neither, lol. It's one the other side of the intake manifold, the vaccume line that goes into the EGR sensor (that lets the ECU know when to turn the EGR on and off). lol. So what do you say?

AH! I missed the tube broken (EGR). I have had bought some (cars) that had them blocked off and found that when connected the engine ran much better connected than with them blocked off. I would repair/replace the tube and any other vacumn lines that are missing as you said "the EGR on my car right now does'nt work (the vaccume line to the sensor is GONE)" and get it working again.

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2003 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
My EGR is completely removed & blocked off. Doesnt seem to effect the drivability of the car. I am planning on getting a custom chip made soon, that completely disables the EGR. on the exhaust y-pipe, theres just a plate bolted where the "mushroom" went. on the upper plenum, the EGR hole/cavaty is completely filled & smoothed with the porting for a smooth path from the throttle body to the chamber where the runners start. But anyways, the EGR is a fuel saving device, not an emmisions device. well, I suppose burning less fuel puts out less emissions, but its for saving fuel, by leaning the fuel/air mix. some exhaust gas is sent back into the intake, which mixes with the fuel/air mix. the new mix burns a little slower & a little cooler, which allows for a slightly leaner mix, which gives you slightly more fuel effiency. so, by removing the EGR, you will have slightly less fuel milage, and possible "lean" running issues.
skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2003 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
Sooner or later your area will have emission testing. I did not think it would happen here either but suddenly all cars will be tested for emissions here in PA after February. You might think like I did that you currently have nothing to worry about but the Feds are cracking down on all states that are not testing by withholding highway funds. States suddenly see the light as PA did. I would advise to keep the stuff if not even repair what you got.

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 INTERCOOLED SUPERCHARGED
White 88 GT Stock
Please give me a rating if you appreciate my contribution.
History of Skitimes Car UPDATED 8-11-03

ka4nkf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2003 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ka4nkfSend a Private Message to ka4nkfDirect Link to This Post
Block it off, I have heard all kind of rumors that it will burn number 2 piston and so forth, but do you know I have never talked to anyone that this has happened to (funny aint it). I have had mine off for quite awhile now and my engine runs perfect and no ping.I can't see why anyone would think that dumping dirty exhaust into clean fuel that it would perform better.I know it might help on the emmision problem but not as much as the cat. The cat is the main emmision cutter.The colder the fuel the better it will run. I don't want to start a flame but I know from testing that it will run better without the EGR. Also the EGR does not work at idle or wide open throtle, so I guess if you were running wide open throtle on a race track then the EGR would not be working and you would burn number 2 piston (funny).
Don
PFF
System Bot
Tryxalon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2003 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TryxalonClick Here to visit Tryxalon's HomePageSend a Private Message to TryxalonDirect Link to This Post
IF you are going to keep the Fuel Injection system, the computer controls (ECM) and all the other inter-related, computer controlled, intake, exhaust, ignition, etc "Automotive system" -- I would not advocate blocking or 'modifying" the EGR system.

None of these circuits/subsystems are complicated, and could be easily "done with" -- but as everone knows "complcated = a bunch of simple at the same time".

IF you are going to Carb, yeah. Take the EGR out of the system: along with the ignition and all the other stuff -- just get rid of the computer.

IF you are going to use an aftermarket "engine control" -- you may be able to disconnect IF that system doesn't look for it.

But if you are going to keep any/most of the system the engine was designed for: Don't "re-engineer".

But that is my opinion. I'm lazy and don't have 6 months to 2 years to "make it work!!", I have had problems with EGR being blocked and not working properly on both an 85 4cylinder and a 86 V-6.

The only way to 'get things right" again WAS to 'restore' the system to factory working order.

But it is Your money, your time, your frustration and blood pressure!!!!

[This message has been edited by Tryxalon (edited 12-23-2003).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock