A/C Hose Fabrication by Tom Corey
Started on: 12-21-2003 07:25 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: jstricker on 12-22-2003 06:36 PM
Tom Corey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom CoreySend a Private Message to Tom CoreyDirect Link to This Post
I'm getting ready to redo the A/C hoses on my 87GT. It's a SBC that uses the stock Fiero A/C system. Here's my question? Do I really need a muffler like is on the stock hose? If so, can I locate it farther away, and how far, from the compressor (and exhasut pipe)? Why aren't these mufflers on most cars?

------------------
Tom Corey
Melbourne, FL
87 Green T-Top GT 5Spd SBC ZZ3 V8
88 Yellow T-Top GT, 4.9L Caddy, 4T60E

[This message has been edited by Tom Corey (edited 12-21-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mark

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSend a Private Message to MarkDirect Link to This Post
Tom,
If you don't get the answer here, try this automotive A/C forum...

http://www.ackits.com/forum/categories.cfm?catid=2&STARTPAGE=1

Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
The muffler helps with resonance noises. Yes, you can remove it. Yes, it might make more noise. It will not hurt the opperation of the system.
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
If you can get it in there, do it. It does quiet the system. It can be further down the line if necessary but don't move it to the other side of the car.

Any AC shop can make lines. Get the header from the compressor and stock hose and bolt them in place. Then I take a wire coat hanger and bent them into the route I need.

Also, it's amazing how fast a shop can make the hoses with the car there. I pay about 50 for my custom lines.

TK

Tom Corey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2003 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom CoreySend a Private Message to Tom CoreyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Electrathon:

The muffler helps with resonance noises. Yes, you can remove it. Yes, it might make more noise. It will not hurt the opperation of the system.

Can you guys describe the noise you're talking about?? I haven't a clue what noise we're talking about.

------------------
Tom Corey
Melbourne, FL
87 Green T-Top GT 5Spd SBC ZZ3 V8
88 Yellow T-Top GT, 4.9L Caddy, 4T60E

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2003 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
It's a dull, hydraulic hammering noise. Honestly, you probably won't be able to hear it when you consider where the compresser is located. About 90% of trucks, farm, and industrial equipment don't have them. I've taken them off cars and light trucks and the only time I can really hear it is if I'm standing at the front of the car outside, otherwise, you never know it's gone.

John Stricker

Originally posted by Tom Corey:

Can you guys describe the noise you're talking about?? I haven't a clue what noise we're talking about.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock