Started on: 12-21-2003 06:29 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: GSXRBOBBY on 12-29-2003 09:49 PM
GSXRBOBBY

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I have rebuilt the motor I have and I just cannot get it to work right. If I turn them on I just have to touch the man. knob and it comes up, and them the man. knob jumps a little bit. I have taken it apart two times now and it just doesn't work right! It works ok right after I put it back together but after a couple of times same thing. This last time I greased the crap out of it and it worked alil better, but right back to hanging up.

I give up unless someone can help, otherwise I am looking for a used driverside headlight motor.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
86 Fiero GT, Looking to ad a Northstar soon

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Direct Link to This Post
I have a drivers side headlight motor. Needs rebuilding but you can probobly use the gears out of your current setup- this is easy. Yours free if you pay shipping from IL..
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
What exactly did you replace when you "rebuilt" it?
Tryxalon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TryxalonClick Here to visit Tryxalon's HomePageSend a Private Message to TryxalonDirect Link to This Post

I had no satisfaction on rebuilding my headlight motors.
I wound up buying new motors from Fiero Store.

Much more satisfying result (admittedly in my opinion) but after trying to rebuild the units twice, I figured the extra money was worth it in the end, because they work, have been working for over a year, and I am not screwing with them!!

----------------------------------------------
ON a 'sidebar' - before one of the "others" cut in:

Some say "The Fiero Store" is 'high priced' compared to other places. Maybe so, but it is a "specialty auto parts supplier" and doesn't repute to be a "cut rate" or 'discount source."

I've never gotten a part other than the one I ordered, parts are delivered when they say they will and if something goes "other than anticipated" (three times I ordered the wrong part) the service has been quick to help me correct the order. There is a price for "good service".

I will look at local sources (a neck to wring -- just in case) but when and if there is a problematic part (and this forum is EXCELLENT at distinguishing those!!) The Fiero Store has come to my rescue on Pholly (85 4cy-5sp SE notchback) and now on Nera (my son's 86 6cyl-auto SE Notchback) my vehicles).

As I say: there is a $$$ for "harrassment factor" as well.

I say: get new motors.

WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Direct Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by WBailey1041 (edited 12-21-2003).]

WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Direct Link to This Post

WBailey1041

2424 posts
Member since Dec 2003
Rebuild....

1) 5 min. Remove entire unit from assembly
2) 10 min. Drill out old Rivets
3) 20 min. Clean entire inside (most likely the old grease has turned to bubble gum by now), remove old worn gears, replace with new ones. Order the brass ones if you have the 33 bucks to pay for them. Lightly coat new gears in grease(I used Reese Hitch grease- Its made of teflon!)
4) 5 min Rewire with new 12 guage insulated copper wire, clean old connectors, assembly motor CAREFULLY and drill new screws in where the rivets came out.
5) 2 min. Reverse step 1

6) IMPORTANT Go get 15 lap dances on the money you saved doing it YOURSELF.

------------------
Failing to prepare - Is preparing to fail....

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I bought the rebuild kit from Rodney Dickman, it had the white plastic gear and four black rubber bumpers, I greased it all up and here I am!?!?!?

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Direct Link to This Post
Check everything This may seem like mundane advice, but I Rebuilt mine, changed the wires, new relays, new switch, everything. it turned out to be the plug that goes into the back of the switch on the dash. Above the cruise control, wiper arm thingie, on the left of the speedo. The white wire came loose, turns out this very wire controls the up-down of the lights. 20 Seconds later presto, show room new!!
WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Direct Link to This Post

WBailey1041

2424 posts
Member since Dec 2003
Tryaxalon, thats great advive, just buy new ones, but for those of you out there like me who have a budget, the $164 for A new one just isnt an option
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2003 06:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
Most problems like this with the 84-86 headlight motors is the voltage to the motors. Bad connections. Loses across the contacts in the relays etc. Compare this to replacing a water heater in a home several times because the water pressure is low only to find the the pipes are all filled with deposits. Replacing the water heater again and again will not fix the problem.
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2003 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Ok Rodney well put, where does the current normally get slowen down. In the wires, or the relays, or ???? Please don't just tell me trial and error, I am sick of playing with this thing!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

PFF
System Bot
manual63

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2003 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for manual63Click Here to visit manual63's HomePageSend a Private Message to manual63Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by GSXRBOBBY:

Ok Rodney well put, where does the current normally get slowen down. In the wires, or the relays, or ???? Please don't just tell me trial and error, I am sick of playing with this thing!

Kick it.....that seems to fix my computer......

------------------
Start Seeing Fieros!

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2003 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
BIG HAMMER!!!!!!!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2003 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I have to wait a few days I killed the battery playing with the headlights.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2003 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Bobby, most loss of current occurs from high resistence. Ususally it is across connections. If you probe a wire on each side of the faulty connection you can see voltage drops too.

------------------

Dwayne Mohr
84 SC Red
87 GT 5sp Silver
(Formerly FieroSoul, member since 2001)

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2003 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
There all better or so far they are ok. I replaced the battery after killing it. I bought a new battery and after installing it they work fine. I guess that means that if your gears aren't stripped out and your having problems, the battery maybe going dead?

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
86 Fiero GT, Looking to ad a 93 Northstar soon

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock