Adjusting shifter cables by FieroGT86
Started on: 12-21-2003 12:44 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: sanderson on 12-22-2003 10:51 PM
FieroGT86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT86Send a Private Message to FieroGT86Direct Link to This Post
Hey if someone could tell me how or point me to a good write up on how to do this I would appreciate it.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Is it a 4-speed, 4 cylinder 5-speed, or V6 5-speed. Adjustment procedures differ on each. Take a run down to the local auto parts and pick up a Clymer's manual. Though it doesn't detail each transmission, it will be of help in understanding the general procedure, and will be helpful to you in other areas, as a Fiero owner. When you have the above info, repost and I'm sure someone will help you.
MR P BODY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MR P BODYClick Here to visit MR P BODY's HomePageSend a Private Message to MR P BODYDirect Link to This Post
well i have the same question, i have a 84 2m4 with a 4 speed with 4:10s how would i go about adjusting the cables, thanks for your help

------------------
Black 84 2M4

FieroGT86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2003 03:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT86Send a Private Message to FieroGT86Direct Link to This Post
V6 5 speed.
iluvmacs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2003 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iluvmacsClick Here to visit iluvmacs's HomePageSend a Private Message to iluvmacsDirect Link to This Post
I like to do the ajustments with the back end of the car jacked up so the wheels can spin freely.

Pretend like you're driving the car, and as your shifting see at what point in the shifter movement that the gear actually engages. Use the 3-4 shift because the position of the other cable won't matter at this point. Figure out which cable is associated with that direction, and loosen the bolt holding the shift cable to the linkage attached to the tranny.

Keep playing until it feels like the gears engage at the same distance away from maximum shifter travel.

Repeat for the other direction, 1/2 neutral to 3/4 neutral. When you figure out where the cables should be, tighten them and that should be it.

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2003 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGT86:

V6 5 speed.

Bet it's an 86GT, isn't it. I shoulda looked at your signature.

Place the shifter into 1st gear. Using a number 22 or 5/32 drill bit, insert it into the hole on the left side of the shifter, just below where the handle attaches. There's a small sleeve that the bit should fit into. When inserted through the hole and into the sleeve, it keeps the shifter held in position.

The shift cable isn't adjustable. Loosen the 15mm nut on the select cable (small cable), at the transmission. Be sure the select lever is at its fullest upward travel, and tighten the 15mm nut. That should align the neutral gate on the shifter.

I can't help you guys with the 4-speed. I've never adjusted one, but I do know there are 2 alignment holes on them, instead of one.

sanderson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2003 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

I can't help you guys with the 4-speed. I've never adjusted one, but I do know there are 2 alignment holes on them, instead of one.

Heres's the 4 speed story. Both select and shift cable are adjustable. It takes two 5/32" drill bits to pin the shifter to prevent it from moving side to side or fore and aft. You may have to break off one of the drill to get clearance. You put the shifter in 1st gear, pin the shifter then take the slack out of the cables back at the transaxle levers. The Haynes manual describes it reasonably well.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock