temp gauge by 3.8 SC
Started on: 12-20-2003 10:53 AM
Replies: 7
Last post by: 3.8 SC on 12-21-2003 12:43 PM
3.8 SC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post
I have an 85 Fiero With a temp gauge problem. It just sets there and does nothing. Any ideas on how to test this circuit to find what at fault? I have heard that the gauges are different in each Fiero! If this is true, I don't know if this E-mail will do any good.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post12-20-2003 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
What engine? The guage sensor on the V6 is here:

To test, unplug the connector, being careful not to break the plastic. If the plastic is already broken, no worries, just remember which wire went to which terminal, there's only two. Ground each wire in turn to the block with the key in the ON position. One wire will illuminate the temp warning light in the dash. The other wire will cause the guage to swing to full scale. If nothing happens, then you've got guage or wiring problems. If it works as expected, then the temp sender is defective.

JazzMan

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 12-20-2003).]

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Welcome... judging by your screen name, I am going out on a limb and guessing that you have a 3800SC engine? If so, take a look at the link below:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/043783.html

Get a good multimeter and ohm the sensor out on the engine. The 3800SC sensor is right below the thermostat housing. The values that Darth provided will give you a good indication on the condition of the sensor. If all checks good at the sensor, then you have a wire problems elsewhere. Good luck.

3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replys, Tomcat and Jazzman,

Right now, my engine is a 4 banger. Will this idea still work? Also, I pick this user name, because this is the ideal engine that I want. Now I just need to find one - a series II! I just want to get all the bugs out of the car first. What about the gauges, are they really different or no?

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
All temp gauges are the same. As pointed out earlier there is a dedicated wire for the temp gauge. It's not connected to the ECM so it won't affect the car if it doesn't work.
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
The top sensor shown in this photo is the temp gauge/lamp combo. The lower one is the ecm sensor.

The green wire with a stripe (may also be tan) is the gauge sender and the solid green one is lamp switch.

goldiron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2003 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goldironSend a Private Message to goldironDirect Link to This Post
And a search for 'temperature gauge' will turn up a wealth of tips for diagnosing guage and sensor problems. Search button is in upper right portion of the page.
3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2003 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post
I would like to thank everyone for there help with my problem. I did the test and it looks like I have to replace the gauge. I am going to wait till it warms up though. It's 20 degrees here in Cleveland.

Don

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock