Started on: 12-18-2003 11:47 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Howard_Sacks on 12-19-2003 10:52 PM
FieroGT87

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2003 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT87Send a Private Message to FieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
I noticed some of the serious people have two sets of tires. One set for when they race thier cars, another for normal driving.

My question is this: If you only have enough money to buy one set of tires what are the things you should look at. I assume softness / hardness, but thats about all I know.

I won't be driving the GT much other than occassional cruising, shows and some racing. Total miles will probably be under 4000 a year or less. I the present time with all the other modifications, I am going to have to limit my funds for tires to one good set.

Thanks in advance,

Earl

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
red85gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2003 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for red85gtClick Here to visit red85gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to red85gtDirect Link to This Post
I have found that most performance tires are too hard for autoX. Toyos seem to be a good choice for all around driving racing. high speed rated tires tend to be harder than mild performace due to stiffer construction.

------------------
85 GT 4 speed 2.8L auto X'er

[This message has been edited by red85gt (edited 12-19-2003).]

FieroGT87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2003 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT87Send a Private Message to FieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
Good point. How many of us really need Z rated tires. I mean I don't think my Fiero can do over 200 MPH.

I don't think I would do over 120-140 on a course anyway. Then normal driving, I don't get over 80-90 on the highway.

Does tread design make that much of a difference?

Rainman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2003 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
Tires do make a difference. And if you don't have DOT tires you will not be able to run stock class(if that matters).

I've got a set of Z-rated Yokohama AVS ES100's on my Formula and I love them. They stick! I can't even chirp them with a clutch dump; seriously. I also have a normal set of tires for winter driving. I put my winter tires/wheels on last month before the weather got cold, and I almost put the car in the ditch my first time out with them. There is NO comparison to a good set of performance tires.

What SCCA activity are you planning to do? If just autocross, tires are considered to be a 2-second item.

JCW

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2003 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCWSend a Private Message to JCWDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by red85gt:

high speed rated tires tend to be harder than mild performace due to stiffer construction.

If anything high-speed rated tires tend to be more aggressive and therefore have softer compounds. A tire can have a stiff construction and still have a soft compound. As to the question of what type tire to buy for street and racing.... it depends. Are you racing for fun or for competition. You can race on street tires and have a ball, but you will not be competitive, autoX or SOLO 1. For myself, I use Dunlop SP 8000's for street and autoX. I realize I will not be at the top of my class in autoX, but I will have lots of fun. Hope this helps!

Doug Chase

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2003 03:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug ChaseSend a Private Message to Doug ChaseDirect Link to This Post
Many folks out here in the NW Region are huge fans of the Falken Azenis. Most people who race in street tire class use these tires, and a lot of other drivers have these tires on their street cars. They're cheap, too!

The drawback is that they don't make many sizes and the last time I looked they didn't have good Fiero sizes, at least for stock wheel sizes. You might want to check into these and see if what they have will work on your car.

They are good in the rain but judging from the tread they should never see snow.

------------------
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom roll cage and exhaust fabrication

Solo2

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
User Banned

Report this Post12-19-2003 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Solo2Send a Private Message to Solo2Direct Link to This Post
Grassroots Motorsports Magazine November 2002 Issue:
Race & Street Tire Test: Comparing all the hot rubber against each other and against the clock. Pages 70 - 82.

Street Tire: (The most Bang For The Buck)
1. Falken Azenis Sport (Very Cheap) (205/50R15 - $76)
2. BFGoodrich g-force T/A KD (Mega $$$) (205/50YR15 - $149)
3. Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 (205/50VR15 - $58)

"The Falken Azenis Sport offers strong performance for cheap money, while the BFGoodrich g-force T/A KD offers goods grip and no bad manners as a daily driven tire. Now that you are interested in a tire that can hold up to track events as well as turn a respectable time at an autocross, then try the Kumho ECSTA Supra 712. It offers good bang for the buck and should last a long time."

R-Compound Tire:
1. Hoosier A3503 (205/50ZR15 - $170)
2. Kumho ECSTA V700 (205/50R15 Shaved - $125)
3. Kumho V700 Victoracer (205/50R15 Shaved - $130)

"The race tires were significantly faster than the street tires showing why the fast guys run them. The reduced tread depth of the race-compound tire is just one part of the difference in traction, as internal construction also plays a big part. While the street tires have the ability to get soft at higher temperatures, this doesn't always equals to extra grip. If your class allows a DOT approved race tire, we recommend using one if you have the budget."

FieroGT87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2003 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT87Send a Private Message to FieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
Thanks Everyone for the responses. Actually I expected to pay more. The Goodyear Eagle Tires for my Wifes Impala go for $160 each plus balancing.

The GT presently has Michelin V4 tires on it. But they need to be replaced soon.

With all the writeups you see from manufactures it's hard to tell which tires really are good for autocross that would be good for normal driving. Thats why I was asking here on the forum to get a perspective from people who actually autocross.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by FieroGT87 (edited 12-19-2003).]

GARY TUCKER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2003 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GARY TUCKERSend a Private Message to GARY TUCKERDirect Link to This Post
I use my 88gt for running mountain roads at high speeds...As far as I am concerned there are no tires thant can compare to michelin pilots.....they are awesome!!!!

------------------
1988 Gary Tucker (GT)

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2003 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
yeah, now i know what tires to replace my Eagle GT +4's with, i was going to put Dunlop Sport A2's like my mom has on her grand am but now im gonna put some others on it. it will be great to have new shoes on my car!!!

------------------
'86 Fiero GT

www.KylesFiero.tk

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post12-19-2003 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
Speaking from experience, it will cost more to try to run one set of compromise tires.

if you just want something to last one season both race and street, either the falken azenis or the toyo proxies T1S is a good choice.

I would do one set of kumho 711s and another of victoracers if you want to do tires on the cheap.

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock