A/C on the 3.4 TDC by haasguy
Started on: 12-18-2003 08:02 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: TennT on 12-19-2003 01:51 PM
haasguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2003 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for haasguySend a Private Message to haasguyDirect Link to This Post
I've got most of my wiring done for my 3.4 but we're arguing over how to finish hooking up the A/C. We have both the 3.4 and the 2.8 compressors and aren't quite sure which one to use and how to hook it up to the 3.4 ECM. Do we use the 3.4 compressor (my suggestion) and tap in the pressure switches or do we keep the old 2.8 system and try and hook it up? My assistant says that we should put the serpentine belt clutch on the 2.8 compressor and use it. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Robert

'87 GT (almost a 3.4 TDC) without A/C

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2003 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
So far as I know the 3.4 ac compressor is a V5 (variable pressure type) while the 2.8 compressor is the switched type (da6 or h4 I think) that uses a switch on the accumulator to control the compressor clutch. I think some later 4 cyl fieros came with a v5 compressor.
Given the choice I'd go for the 3.4 v5 compressor and eliminate the switched clutch. This will give a much more even load on the engine as the compressor swash plate will adjust to the pressure in the system. Basically the ecm activates the clutch then it stays engages with the compressor adjusting for the load.
With the Fiero's switched system the compressor is either all on or off. The extra load is certainly noticable on the 4 cyl engine.
What are you dong about the compressor refregerant connections. the 3.4's on mine are nothing like the fiero's so mopre custom work on mine. Sounds like you are making good progress.

------------------
Dave E

www.ltlfrari.com

88-DOHC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2003 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88-DOHCSend a Private Message to 88-DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Use the 3.4 compressor and have a custom hose made that has the right connectors on one end for the compressor and the right connectors on the other to connect to the stock Fiero AC lines.
neverendingproject

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2003 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for neverendingprojectSend a Private Message to neverendingprojectDirect Link to This Post
There was no need for a custom hose in my case, I just used the 3.4 compressor and '87-'88 coupe A/C lines. You'll need to drill a small amout out of the back of the mounting stud hole on the lines but it's easy.

------------------
Alan Frazier
'86 GT-'92 3.4 TDC
'84 2m4 daily driver
'88 Silver coupe, auto For Sale

TennT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2003 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TennTSend a Private Message to TennTDirect Link to This Post
You might consider about the upgrade(?) to r-124 and the problems with some Fiero compressors. The compressor on the 3.4 will probably handle R-124 with no problem. Some Fieros don't play well with 124 and r-12 is not exactly a wal-mart item anymore.

If you do the upgrade, there was a good post here a while back on the trials and tribulations on 124. It should be in the archive somewhere.

Here is some stuff I clipped on the 124/12 problem. I don't have the original poster so I hope whoever posted it first will forgive my lack of credit:

AC Info:

R-134a is not a direct drop-in replacement for R-12, but it comes pretty close. In fact, some DIY retrofit kits that are being sold in retail auto parts stores treat it as if it were a drop-in replacement. These kits include a can of POE oil, some adapters and that’s all. Though few modifications are required on most late-model A/C systems, that isn’t necessarily true for all retrofits.
Some compressors have viton seals that are not compatible with R-134a. These include Tecumseh HR980, some Keihin compressors and some Panasonic rotary valve-style compressors. Others are not rugged enough to handle the higher pressures that are created by R-134a. These include Harrison DA6 (mid-1980s GM applications), which can be replaced with HD-6, HR-6 or HR-6HE compressors and Ford FX-15 compressors, which can be replaced with an FS-10 compressor. Try to convert one of these applications the "easy way" and you’ll doom the compressor to failure.

On some vehicles, compressor replacement is required when retrofitting. These include V5 compressors on 1988-89 models with a date code between 1/88 and 8/89 and a royal-blue label, all DA6 compressors and R4 compressors with a date code between 1/1/90 and 6/18/93.” Source for all the above: http://www.babcox.com/editorial/us/us29928.htm

Fieros with DA6 compressors are not candidates for conversion to R134a. That includes all 1984-1985 models and 1986-1987 models with 2.8L engines. Also, most 1988 L4's with original V5 compressors should not be converted. Best bet for the DA6/88-V5 owners is to stick with R12 till the compressor fails, then replace with the a newer compressor type and convert to R134a. If all the R12 leaks out and the DA6/88-V5 compressor is still O.K., conversion to one of the alternate refrigerants (Autofrost, FRIGC (FR-12), Freeze 12 or FreeZone) may make sense. The alternates operate at lower pressures and may allow the weaker compressors to last another year or two. But as jstricker says, the service port fittings must be changed (each alternate type has unique fittings) and most service shops aren’t set up to handle the alternates.

Hope this helps,

TG

------------------

DIY Leather Interior Available

Shipping weight..1200-1500 lbs. Freeze-dry specials!!!

[This message has been edited by TennT (edited 12-19-2003).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock