Started on: 12-17-2003 05:02 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: GTDude on 12-18-2003 11:05 AM
tednelson83

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2003 05:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
my steering column has started to squeak as i steer.what can i do to make it stop? where do i put the wd-40? it will get annoying very soon.

------------------

1985 Pontiac Fiero 2.5 SE, 216,500 miles and still runing!!!
more pics of my 85 can be found here
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT, 131,000 miles! not running.....yet!
1987 Pontiac Fiero 2.8 SE, 54,000 miles :( with frame damage :damon:

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2003 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
anyone?
mattm

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2003 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattmSend a Private Message to mattmDirect Link to This Post
Mine does that too. Hopefully, someone will have a better solution than me (turn up the radio).

Matt

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2003 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
IF it is the column...

WD 40 won't help. Nor will any other spray oil.

either something is rubbing the shaft or one of the bearings is dry/bad. Either could mean a teardown or replacement of the column depending what it turns out to be.

I IF it is in the column because it could be the contact for the horn. Sometimes the ring or contact are baddly worn or filthy and will make noise. You'll have to pull the steering wheel and lock plate to do anything with that.

The only other posibility is a universal in the jack shaft is dry or shot.... You might get away with lube but this usually means the jack shaft needs to bereplaced. (The jackshaft runs from the column to the rack.)

------------------
Be alert. The world needs more lerts...

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

Whuffo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2003 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhuffoClick Here to visit Whuffo's HomePageSend a Private Message to WhuffoDirect Link to This Post
Also check the gap between the steeriing wheel and the top of the column; if the vinyl covering on the wheel is warped / swelled it may be rubbing the column and making noise.

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2003 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Whuffo:

Also check the gap between the steeriing wheel and the top of the column; if the vinyl covering on the wheel is warped / swelled it may be rubbing the column and making noise.

i forgot to put that back on when i had to replace the lock cylinder two years ago. oops, so i know it is not that. or do you mean the shoud that is attached to the actual wheel. i have the 3-spoke vinyl one.

the squeak sounds as if it is coming from closer to me than the floor, so i think it may be the horn as stated above. the horn hardly works anyway. on a 216,800 mile car im suprised that there arent alot more squeaks and broken stuff.

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2003 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
This may be a long shot, but give it a try because it's easy. Remove the horn button and disconnect the wire that is connected it. In about the 10 oclock position you will see a round piece of metal and plastic. Give it a quarter turn to the left and the spring should push it out.

This piece is the connection between the horn ring inside and the button. With all the miles on the car I suspect that the grease that usually coats the horn ring inside (brass) has worn off. Take a q-tip with some vaseline on it and turn the wheel completely around to lubricate the entire ring. Insert the metal piece, spring and plastic retainer. Hold it down and use a pair of needle nose pliers to give it 1/4 turn to the right. If this was your problem, the noise should be cured. Good luck!

Phil

------------------
87 FIERO GT 2.8 5spd

If you found my advice helpful, please take the time to give me a positive rating. Thanks

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2003 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTDude:

Remove the horn button and disconnect the wire that is connected it.

i understand every thing you are saying but the above statement. what wire are you refiring to? neither my 2m4 or my GT has this wire. this may explain why my horn is so irratic. it bairly works on the 2m4. i havent used the GT enough to know about it.

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2003 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, my mistake....most have wires, Fiero does not. Just forget about removing the wire.....lol

Phil

------------------
87 FIERO GT 2.8 5spd

If you found my advice helpful, please take the time to give me a positive rating. Thanks

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock