Correct Grade Suspension Bolts by PK
Started on: 12-16-2003 07:46 AM
Replies: 14
Last post by: aaron88 on 12-18-2003 05:47 PM
PK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2003 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKDirect Link to This Post
If anyone is having trouble locating the correct size/grade metric bolts for suspension or steering rack then I can probably help.

Cheers
PK

------------------
Suspension Bolts / Steering Rack Bolts - If you are having trouble finding them give me a shout.

Fiero Club UK @ www.FieroForum.co.uk

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
HIOSILVER!

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2003 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HIOSILVER!Send a Private Message to HIOSILVER!Direct Link to This Post
Shout!
HIOSILVER
HIOSILVER!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2003 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HIOSILVER!Send a Private Message to HIOSILVER!Direct Link to This Post

HIOSILVER!

1868 posts
Member since Mar 2002
Sorry Had to do it. lol
HIOSILVER
PK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2003 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKDirect Link to This Post
HIOSILVER!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2003 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HIOSILVER!Send a Private Message to HIOSILVER!Direct Link to This Post
How much would they run? Shipping would be an issue too. But if your cheaper than the dealer. Save them from laughing at me anyway. I need some steering rack bolts and some front lower control arm bolts too.
Solo2

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
User Banned

Report this Post12-16-2003 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Solo2Send a Private Message to Solo2Direct Link to This Post
Your offer is great if and only if if someone can not find a nearby metric bolt / nut warehouse supplier. In the big cities it is cheaper to go to these places. For example: the replacement exhaust manifold bolts that everybody is replacing are only $0.07/ea here. It is cheaper than Rodney's bolts or the dealer Saturn bolts.

But it is great that you are offering this service to these people. My hats off to you.

2-tone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2003 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2-toneSend a Private Message to 2-toneDirect Link to This Post
I need the long thru bolt for the right side of my 88's rear set up.-B-
PK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2003 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKDirect Link to This Post
HIOSILVER,

The bolts run at....£0.00 which converts to about $0.00 ! If you just want the four steering rack bolts and front LCA bolts then it's not worth the hassle of charging. If people start asking for complete kits then I might have to charge but otherwise not. If people insist on paying (some are funny that way ) then they can always donate to PFF but its not a prerequisite.

If you could measure the shaft length of the bolt (in mm) for the front LCA bolts that would be great (to make sure I send the right one's). You can PM or e-mail me the details and your addy. All bolts meet or exceed the Fiero grade specs (i.e. 10.9 or higher for suspension). Also the steering rack bolts are graded and shouldn't turn to butter when you try to remove them!

Shipping has already been sorted. I have sent a package to the U.S. the cost is bearable and delivery time this close to Christmas took 7 days (the Post Office estimated 5 days).

Solo2,

I agree that this is only worth taking up if you can't find anywhere with these bolts at a reasonable price. I spent a lonnnnng time looking for a supplier and many of them didn't want to deal in small quantities or didn't have the correct grade.

2-tone,

Not familiar with the 88 set up. If you can give me dimensions then I can let you know.

Cheers
PK

Solo2

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-17-2003 04:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Solo2Send a Private Message to Solo2Direct Link to This Post
ALL suspension bolts and nuts shall be grade 12.9 or better not 10.9 .
I suggest that you ship in bulk to keep the shipping prices down.

Good luck helping your fellow fiero forum memebers. My hats off to you the second time.

PK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2003 06:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKDirect Link to This Post
Solo2,

The bolts on my Fiero looked original and were all metric Class 10.9. You got me worried so I scurried off to the Ogre's Cave where he also refers to 10.9 (see the Bushings article in the Supension section). Where did you get 12.9 from as the standard?

Cheers
PK

Solo2

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-17-2003 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Solo2Send a Private Message to Solo2Direct Link to This Post
Check the factory service manuals. It clearly states the 12.9 bolt for all suspension parts with it's torque requirements. Also check the suspension bolts themselves. It is clearly marked with the 12.9 stamped on top of the bolt head. Reason why I know. I have done many suspension installs before. Metric 12.9 equals SAE grade 8 bolts and nuts. Grade 10.9 is less than SAE grade 8 bolts. Search the web under grade 10.9, 12.9, and grade 8 bolt specifications and you will see the different tension / compression stress and other specs for the bolts.
PFF
System Bot
PK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2003 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKDirect Link to This Post
I checked the original bolts (front and rear LCA) that I removed from my car and they clearly say 10.9 with out exception. I double checked in the 22p and it says 10.9. The people whom have requested bolts say they have 10.9 on them.

Solo2, when you have done suspension installs, which bolts did you see 12.9 on? I appreciate your input and would like to make sure I'm not supplying a lower strength bolt than required!

Cheers
PK

Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2003 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
Solo2,

you have to fill me in on all the places in the DFW area where
i can shop to get stuff for my car. i'm clueless.

toms...

Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2003 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post
I don't remember there being any 12.9 strength bolts on the Fiero? The head bolts are 11.9.
FWIW, you can buy hardened steel 10.9 and 11.9 bolts from most ACE and True Value hardware stores, problem is they are about $2.00ea.
Strength is also dependent on the bolt size. A 6mm 12.9 will not hold near the torque of a 10mm 10.9........Paul
aaron88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2003 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaron88Send a Private Message to aaron88Direct Link to This Post
The tensile strength of a 10.9 bolt is 100 kg/mm^2, where as a grade 8 bolt is 150 kpi (150 x10^3 lb/in^2). But if you translate that, 100 kg/mm^2 is equal to about 142 kpi. Therefore it’s safe to say that a 10.9 bolt is virtually the same strength as a grade 8 bolt. The difference is about 5%.

I should also mention that in my Fiero service manual (printed by GM for the 88 model year), indicates the use of 10.9 bolts.

Aaron

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock