extreme headlight woes! by collinwestphal
Started on: 12-15-2003 05:40 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: Raydar on 12-23-2003 04:09 PM
collinwestphal

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2003 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
ok, I pulled the headlights out of my 88 coupe. I cleaned the contacts and put new gaskets and bushings in them. They both tested fine. I reinstalled them. Then as an accident of relocating the battery to the front, I connected the battery cables up backwards. (neg to pos, pos to neg) It took me a minute to realize what I had done. Both of the healights and their motors worked while it was hooked up backwards. They just did everything at the wrong time. (turned off and went down when I turned them on) As I was walking to switch the cables, I noticed some smoke coming out from under the passeengers side dash. I switched the cables. Now, The drivers side light and motor work fine. The passengers side light works, but the motor does not go up or down. I then tested the passengers side motor with a direct 12v source from the battery and the motor works fine. Then I pulled the headlight control module out from under the drivers side fender and inspected it. I opened it up, and all the electronics look good. there was no sign of damage. I then reinstalled it and unplugged the right(4 pin) plug from the module. With this plug out, the drivers side headlight would not work. When I plugged it back in, then the drivers side worked.

What else could my problem be? Can I test the wire for a short or a break in the wire?
What should I bee looking for? Is there anything headlight related under the passengers side dash?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2003 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
anyone?
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2003 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
The only thing located under the passanger side dash is the blue dinger box and the hazzard relay. I think thats it. (pretty sad I cant remember since I just put my interior back in my 88 coupe ) As far as testing the wires, get a volt meter and see if there is power at the motor's connector when the headlights are turned on. If not, you'll need to get a wireing diagram for the headlamp circut and test the resistance of the wires to the passanger side headlamp motor. Are you sure you didnt fry your headlamp module? Would be worth a shot to replace it.
collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2003 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
I guess I'll have to replace it. There shouldnt be anything wrong with the actual wires to and from the module. Are there any inline fuses or something like that? I checked all the fuses in the fuse box, and they are all good. Does anyone have a 87-88 module? I dont want to spend like $120 for a new one.
collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2003 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
ok, after doing some extensive searching, I think there may be an inline fuse on each of the 87-88 headlight wires. Can someone confirm this? I am a weekend warrior and wont see my car till the weekend. I'm thinking one of my fuses blew. If thats not it, it has to be the module.
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2003 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Is there a relay switch on the 88, or maybe you shorted the wiring out going to the headlight motor? I am just throwing this out though.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
86 Fiero GT, Looking to ad a Northstar soon

collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2003 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
there is no relay, but instead a headlight control module. I am trying to figure out if there are fusible links between the module and the headlight. I think that may be my problem.
collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2003 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
I replaced my headlight control module, and now they both work!!! Yey!!!

But, the passengers side doesnt come up all the way. If I open the hood, they will both come up all the way synchronized, but if I close the hood, the drivers side is good, but the passengers side opens slightly slower, and only gets 85% open.
What could this be? I lubricated the springs on the lid, and the joints on the motor.

camon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2003 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for camonSend a Private Message to camonDirect Link to This Post
Just out of curiousity!!!!!!!!

Does the light stay the whole way up if you manually crank it then close the hood.

Sounds to me like you possibly assembled something incorrectly and the light bucket is hanging up on the door!

------------------

Keith F.

[This message has been edited by camon (edited 12-23-2003).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2003 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
The control module turns off the motors when the current loading "spikes", as will happen when the headlight reaches the limit of its travel. If the mechanism is hanging on anything, it will cause the motor to turn off. As others have suggested, there might be some interference someplace, causing it to jam.
I suppose there's an outside chance that your new module could be defective, and shutting down at too low a current level, but I don't think it's likely.
FWIW, the headlight module is the same module used in the 88-92 Firebird, and some of the same year Sunbirds that had headlight doors.

Good luck.

------------------
Raydar
88 3.4 coupe.

Coming soon...
88 Formula, presently under the knife.

collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2003 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
yes, I got mine out of a firebird.
PFF
System Bot
collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2003 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post

collinwestphal

698 posts
Member since Jun 2003
if I upen the hood, then turn the lights on, they will both go up fine. Then, I can shut the hood, and they are still both fine, and they wont budge if you try to move them.

However, if I turn them on with the hood down, the passengers side goes up slower, and stops about 90-95% of the way to the top. Then ,if I open the hood, and try to move the passengers side light, it is loose. The motor gear doesnt keep me from moving it up to where it should be, where it did above when it reached full height by its self.

I also inspected the flaps, and adjusted them so there is no rubbing at all when they open. I also, moved the passengers assembly toward the middle of the car, to match the position of the drivers side light. Neither helped.

[This message has been edited by collinwestphal (edited 12-23-2003).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2003 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
There's also an adjustment screw, that tightens the preload (for lack of a better term) on the motor shaft. It could be adjusted too tightly. Especially if you rebuilt the gearboxes and it changed how the gear teeth mesh. Also, did you grease the gear when you did the rebuild? It doesn't need much grease, but it does need some.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock