Started on: 12-13-2003 08:47 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Old Lar on 02-29-2004 10:11 PM
Black-Azz-GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2003 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
Can some one help me out. I'v got a few wires crossed. A diagram would be great.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2003 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Believe it or not it is; 1-2-3-4-5-6, clockwise.

No. 1 is usually around the 4 O'clock postion as you look straight down on the distrib from the rear of the car.

I hope this helps.

------------------

Dwayne Mohr
84 SC Red
87 GT 5sp Silver
(Formerly FieroSoul, member since 2001)

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2003 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
<bing bing>

Good Luck!

John.

TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2003 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1MohrFiero:

Believe it or not it is; 1-2-3-4-5-6, clockwise.

1 2 3 4 5 6? That's the combination on my luggage. What kind of a$$ uses 1 2 3 4 5 6? - mel brooks in spaceballs.

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2003 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
In Jncomutts picture "F" is the number one cylinder and the rotor turns clockwise so "E" would be number 2 and so on.
Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2003 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
So when the engine is at Dead top center the mark on the harmonic balencer should be strait up (12:00)
and the rotor should be at #1 on the distributor (4:00)?
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2003 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
When the engine is at top dead center, the harmonic balancer mark should be at "ZERO" degrees on the timing marks, and the rotor should be pointing near cylinder number one. The rotor will be off by the amount the timing should be set at, or in your case ten degrees. I set mine so the rotor was pointing to the number one stud of the distributor, when the timing mark was set to ten degrees before top dead center, and my enigne started right up. You will still need to set the timing correctly with the engine fully warmed and the "A" and "B" terminals of the ALDL terminal jumpered together.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 12-14-2003).]

GPXSS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GPXSSClick Here to visit GPXSS's HomePageSend a Private Message to GPXSSDirect Link to This Post
I just went through all this, finding this thread to find out how my wires are supposed to go.. I know firing order, because i've worked on so many of these engines but they've all been DIS with 3 seperate packs. Setting timing correctly, got me absolutley nowhere.. i changed it up and down 1 pole and still nothing. after messing around with it forever, changing out hardware, checking fuel pressure, fuses, wires, plugs.. etc.. this is what my problem was. My #1 cylinder goes on the blue dot. This is the only position my engine will run in. Any ideas why this is so screwed up???

the problem with all the diagrams ive seen is that none of them show the ignition module location (the square part) and I added it.. maybe I have the "stock" #1 in the wrong location, and its suppossed to go down 1 more pole... and that would make me 180º off

[This message has been edited by GPXSS (edited 02-29-2004).]

Scythe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ScytheSend a Private Message to ScytheDirect Link to This Post
The first pic is the correct one - just put in a new distributor, and used that firing order, and it works well

[This message has been edited by Scythe (edited 03-01-2004).]

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
Either one will work, depending on where the dist was put in. It could be 180 degrees off.

Phil

------------------
87 FIERO GT 2.8 5spd

GM auto tech for 27 years. Specializing in electrical and computer problems. Now on workers comp. and it looks like I will be unable to return to work as a tech.

Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by GPXSS:

I just went through all this, finding this thread to find out how my wires are supposed to go.. I know firing order, because i've worked on so many of these engines but they've all been DIS with 3 seperate packs. Setting timing correctly, got me absolutley nowhere.. i changed it up and down 1 pole and still nothing. after messing around with it forever, changing out hardware, checking fuel pressure, fuses, wires, plugs.. etc.. this is what my problem was. My #1 cylinder goes on the blue dot. This is the only position my engine will run in. Any ideas why this is so screwed up???

the problem with all the diagrams ive seen is that none of them show the ignition module location (the square part) and I added it.. maybe I have the "stock" #1 in the wrong location, and its suppossed to go down 1 more pole... and that would make me 180º off

Looks like your distributer was installed 180 degrees off. It will work fine that way, but it can be confusing!
(edit) GTDude is faster on the send button than I am

------------------
Rod Schneider, Woodstock, Ga.
White 88 GT

[This message has been edited by Rodrv6 (edited 02-29-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
And if it was installed 180 degrees "off' and you want to go back to the correct distributor position. First step disconnect the battery. This will erase the computer memory and the car will start. Been there, forgot to do that and had a frustrating afternoon, until I read the Haynes manual to figure out why the car wouln't run.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock