Removing fastback clip (help!) by TylerB11
Started on: 12-13-2003 11:04 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: madcurl on 02-10-2004 07:23 PM
TylerB11

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2003 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TylerB11Send a Private Message to TylerB11Direct Link to This Post
I have my donor car for my fastback swap on my 85GT. I was actually going to put a 3800 in it (blown engine) but my 85GT daily driver's in better shape, so it will get the fastback, and the 3800.

Anyways, I removed the bumper, the two rear quarterpanels, the decklid, the bolts on the roof, the bolts under where the grills go, and the bolts under the lights. I loosened the bolts on the front-roof, and have pried it up to allow the clips out, but it still isn't giving way.

what am I missing?

Thanks

PS- is there anywhere i can get a complete set of round molding?

[This message has been edited by TylerB11 (edited 12-13-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sennyGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2003 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sennyGTSend a Private Message to sennyGTDirect Link to This Post
By roof did you mean the ones under the headliner? If so..

It sounds like you have all of the bolts off, there is some sort of epoxy that is underneath the body pannels and it is sticky as hell. You just have to give a wiggle and pull and you should feel it start to come loose. Be patient, it took me a good 20 min to wiggle and pull mine loose, don't be afraid to use a little force.

-Greg

FieroBUZZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2003 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBUZZSend a Private Message to FieroBUZZDirect Link to This Post
Under the sail windows and the fuel filler cup assembly. You should be able to find the spots you missed by wiggling and seeing where it's not giving any.
TylerB11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2003 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TylerB11Send a Private Message to TylerB11Direct Link to This Post
Uder the sail windows? inside the car or outside.

fuel filler! good call.

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2003 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Here are the instructions for the rear clip removal (for a GT model and may be slightly diffrent for the SE).It sounds like the studs under the sail panels are holding it on and the nut that holds it on should be taken out from the inside.
Rear Clip Removal
When trying to remove my rear fastback clip I really couldn't find many resources on how to do it so I decided to write down all the steps I an think of. Feel free to add to this if you have any info.
1. Remove Taillights
2. Pop the clips that hold the taillight harness and bulbs to the clip. (they're back on each cubby of the taillight portion of the clip. Also unscrew every nut and bolt that you can see back there. the only thing left should be one rivet on each side that holds the clip pieces together.
3. Remove rear 1/4 panels if you have not done so already
4. Not sure whether rear bumper must be removed, but mine was.
5. pop out all the plastic fasteners in rear wheel wells that look like they might be attached. I think there's 3 on each side that are actually attached.
6. Unscrew all the screws and nuts from the gas housing. (4 nuts and 2 screws or so)
7. take off all the bolts and clips on the black plastic piece that runs along the side of trunk and around inside of 1/4 windows. You'll need to pop this out (The Black Quarter window frame) to get to the 3 (and one mini screw bolt) on each side that directly hold the clip on and are hidden under the The Black Quarter window frame.
8. unscrew those 3 bolts on each side. Look closely, the third one is hard to see.
9. pull back the cloth and you will find three nuts on the roof of the car in the rear. pull the plastic surrounding off of them and unscrew.
10. On each B Pillar (or the piece of frame that holds the seat belts and side speakers) there are two holes right next to each other, one larger ontop and one smaller on bottom. You will need a 3" extension and size 11mm deep socket to get this nut off. it's hard to get to but if you feel around for it *it's about 1/2" above the hole" you will get it off no problem. Don't lose your socket down the hole.If your Quarter Windowes are old remove (use gloves) and the bolt heads can be easely ground off (this is an alternate way of accessing the B piller bolts)
11.It helps if you hold and lift udnerneath the rear 1/4 panel area and pull up while prying directly underneath it with a screwdriver at the top of the roof line because there are about 2 or 3 plastic nubs that help hold the rear on. Good luck)

TylerB11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2003 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TylerB11Send a Private Message to TylerB11Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

7. take off all the bolts and clips on the black plastic piece that runs along the side of trunk and around inside of 1/4 windows. You'll need to pop this out (The Black Quarter window frame) to get to the 3 (and one mini screw bolt) on each side that directly hold the clip on and are hidden under the The Black Quarter window frame.
8. unscrew those 3 bolts on each side. Look closely, the third one is hard to see.

is that this? i removed the screws from it, does it just pry out?

------------------

85GT
Coming Soon:
3800SC

[This message has been edited by TylerB11 (edited 12-13-2003).]

SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2003 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
Yes, those must come out. There's more bolts under it holding the clip down. Push down on the bottom part and carefully pry the top out.

------------------

Blown '88 Fastback Coupe!
My Fiero for sale or trade for '88 t-top.

TylerB11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2003 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TylerB11Send a Private Message to TylerB11Direct Link to This Post
Thanks all!

I got the clip out, now I just have to get the harness off it, and get all my fasteners and such for putting it on the 85GT!

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2004 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sennyGT:

By roof did you mean the ones under the headliner? If so..

It sounds like you have all of the bolts off, there is some sort of epoxy that is underneath the body pannels and it is sticky as hell. You just have to give a wiggle and pull and you should feel it start to come loose. Be patient, it took me a good 20 min to wiggle and pull mine loose, don't be afraid to use a little force.

-Greg

Okay, I'm going in.....cover my rear please!

all jokes aside, I'm removing the GT fastback rear clip. However, I have one question: Several folks mentioned the bolts on the inside of the car. Where are they once I remove the headliner?

Madcurl

------------------

Matthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2004 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MatthianSend a Private Message to MatthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Okay, I'm going in.....cover my rear please!

all jokes aside, I'm removing the GT fastback rear clip. However, I have one question: Several folks mentioned the bolts on the inside of the car. Where are they once I remove the headliner?

Madcurl

there are 5 nuts in the interior of the car that must be taken off that hold the clip on; you will also have to take out some nuts that hold the forward roof section down.

There are 3 nuts across the roof and there are 2 under the B pillar covers. i believe these are all 10 or 13 mm nuts

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2004 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Matthian for your quick reply. I'm going -in!
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock