What brand 4x10 speakers are best? by Caladin
Started on: 12-10-2003 02:44 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: Caladin on 12-11-2003 11:04 AM
Caladin

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2003 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaladinSend a Private Message to CaladinDirect Link to This Post
Im going to replace the speakers in the dash. And im wondering what brand to use. I hear that the kenwood ones are best for most people. They also happen to be the cheapest ($125 (CAN) as compared to $150 for sony/pioneer). Would especially like to hear from people who have heard/used more then one brand.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
soup

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2003 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupDirect Link to This Post
I find when it comes to stereo equipment, it all depends on who you talk to. I am sure some people will say the kenwood is better. Personally, I would say the Pioneer. Sony makes some awesome things, like TV's, but when it comes to car audio, they are seriously lacking. And well... I think I would rather plug wires into cow manuar than have kenwood or alpine for speakers... but that is just my opinion...
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2003 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I have all four Kenwoods in my car, I even have a Kenwood WOOX as a sub. They have nice clear sound and don't distort the bass.
ManiMack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2003 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManiMackSend a Private Message to ManiMackDirect Link to This Post
Kenwood all around here. They are good speakers. Not the best, but quality replacements for the crappy stock sizes!
I have had pioneer at four corners. I can't notice much of a difference between them and the kenwoods to be honest.

The kenwood speakers do look a little nicer then the pioneers, and have some red in them to match my interiour.

------------------
In Toronto crusin' it up in the V6...

derangedsheep

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2003 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for derangedsheepSend a Private Message to derangedsheepDirect Link to This Post
another for Kenwood. the previous owner put Kenwood KFC-415C in the front. they pound out bass more than any other normal speaker that ive seen. the bass is great, and the treble is very good, but the mids are lacking, so i have Boston Acoustics 746 4x6 plates in the back, they fill in any mids and treble that the kenwoods cant hit. i think it sounds really good. if you want to do plate speakers in the back, read my writeup on how i made them fit //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/044203.html

[edit] saw you wanted to hear from more than one brand. i was at bestbuy and i listened to the pioneer and then the kenwoods (same headunit and amp) there was no contest, especially for the price (the pioneer were about $50 higher)

[This message has been edited by derangedsheep (edited 12-10-2003).]

SplineZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2003 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZDirect Link to This Post
There is no absolute best, its whatever the person prefers. I really dig clarion, PPI, boston accoustics, and MTX stuff

James Z

------------------

eatoninside

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2003 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eatoninsideSend a Private Message to eatoninsideDirect Link to This Post
I have some Pyle's that I bought for $40 off of partsexpress.com. As far as 4x10 speakers go, you aren't going to get knock your socks off sound out of any brand, so I went with something cheaper and they sound alright, better than stock.
Erockrocket

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2003 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErockrocketSend a Private Message to ErockrocketDirect Link to This Post
Try either Memphis Audio, or Pyramid "Gold" series 4x10's. The Memphis speakers are nice because they have positional tweeters. Good for imaging. The Pyramids are good because they are three-way speakers. They are very efficient, and rock out. Good luck with whatever you buy, but beware if buying on the internet. I think it's best to hear what your gonna buy. Plus some internet company's sell out of date, old stock speakers that have been sitting in a warehouse for years. Hears to your ears bleedin........Erockrocket
fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2003 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
I have kenwood 4x10's in front and sound good. I'm assuming you can get 4x10's that are just midrange with no tweeter correct? When I replace my 4x10's I want to replace with midrange and then seperate tweeters.

Matt

FieroAudio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2003 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAudioSend a Private Message to FieroAudioDirect Link to This Post
Oval speakers dont sound good :P

Stuff a 4" or a 5 1/4 in there...hell...do a 5 1/4" seperate on a plate or something...

Or buy my kick panels

6 1/2's with good imaging...

Slater_334

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2003 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slater_334Send a Private Message to Slater_334Direct Link to This Post
i went with the kenwoods b/c they were more efficient, making it easier for my factory headunit. most cant notice a difference between speakers, expecially when they are both made by quality companies. the are so much better than the factory speakers, i no longer have the cracking when the volume is all the way down. you can compare them here http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-Ga5KYBuojIF/ProdGroup.asp?c=10&s=0&g=5 1600&cc=01&avf=N&search=
whatever you get you will be happy with, anything is better than the crapy old factory speakers.

oh and dont forget to get the baffles http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-Ga5KYBuojIF/ProdView.asp?s=0&cc=01&i=2 37XT41&o=&a =0

[This message has been edited by Slater_334 (edited 12-10-2003).]

PFF
System Bot
ManiMack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2003 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManiMackSend a Private Message to ManiMackDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slater_334:
oh and dont forget to get the baffles http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-Ga5KYBuojIF/ProdView.asp?s=0&cc=01&i=2 37XT41&o=&a =0

That is such an important thing. The stock fiero system is free air on both sides.
I'm buying those soon. I haven't heard 4X10s with the baffles. But on all my other cars the baffles improved the bass ALLOT!

[This message has been edited by ManiMack (edited 12-10-2003).]

IROC

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2003 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IROCSend a Private Message to IROCDirect Link to This Post
Clarion speakers are good. Sony makes a decent speaker. Pioneer's higher end stuff is alright, but their lower end stuff is crap. I personally like clarion and Precision Power speakers. Precision Powers speakers come with a lifetime warranty and I have never heard of a speaker blowing up when it was installed right with the right amount of power going to it.

Also when you order speakers, its better to get a plate system. A 4x6 plate system has a round 3-4" mid range and a 1" tweeter. A round speaker is more durable because it's easier to flex the material surrounding the cone then an oval shaped. most of the time a round speaker can handle more power too!

IROC

------------------
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT 2.8l
pocket ported, gasket matched complete intake. Still has no nut.

3.4l turbocharged project in process!
- T3/T4 Hybrid Watercooled turbo
- Intercooler with CO2 spray kit
- Dynotuner piggyback computer
- MSD 6al btm

Deezlfitr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2003 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeezlfitrSend a Private Message to DeezlfitrDirect Link to This Post
I just replaced the dash speakers with Radio Shack replacement speakers! $9.95 each and they sound good enuf when coupled with a new sub-woofer and rear speakers! Why spend the extra $$??

------------------
Deezlfitr
"Life is just a bowl of cherries... ya just gotta watch out for the pits!"

1986 GT/Auto (my first)

[This message has been edited by Deezlfitr (edited 12-11-2003).]

Jdlog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2003 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JdlogSend a Private Message to JdlogDirect Link to This Post
Ha ha! I put the same $9.99 Radio Shack oval speakers in mine while I get to do a real upgrade. The old ones were not working. For the price, they solved the problem; but to say they sound good...I'd probably have to get drunk.

The old ones in the pillars sound better!

liltobe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2003 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liltobeSend a Private Message to liltobeDirect Link to This Post
If I had money I would get 4x10 Kickers.
Caladin

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2003 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CaladinSend a Private Message to CaladinDirect Link to This Post
Wow so much good info. Slater_334 I had no idea about the baffles! I will be sure to get them. I will be going with kenwood speakers. Its the best deal for me that I can find in my area. And it will match my deck. Thanks everyone for the info.

Im Curious about the speakers in the seats. Are the ones in the side pillars better? I imagine they would put out more. Perhaps I could add them in.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock