Wrong size decklid vents on fastback? Weird by Pontiac Boi
Started on: 12-07-2003 10:28 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: WingNut - MD on 12-11-2003 04:25 PM
Pontiac Boi

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2003 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pontiac BoiSend a Private Message to Pontiac BoiDirect Link to This Post
I recently bought a 86GT and it's so weird, I didn't noticed the decklid vents were too small? I'm pretty sure this isn't right, it definitly doesn't look right. My friend tried to put notchie vents on to his fastback and they wouldn't fit. I haven't tried fitting the regular fastback vents, it looks like the passenger side has the mount for it, but the driver side doesn't. I hope I'm not stuck with those vents.

Here are some pics:

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post12-07-2003 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Those are the notchie vents and brackets. Could be that the GT clip was added to a notchie and they didn't have the fastback brackets and vents.

JazzMan

DustoneGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2003 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DustoneGTSend a Private Message to DustoneGTDirect Link to This Post
First off that's an awesome fastback you have.

Those look like notchie vents to me, the fastback ones are shaped to fit in the space left over on yours. Somebody must have wanted to retrofit the notchie ones on the car and got the notchie mounts for it. The parts to go back to the fastback are bolt on if you can find them.

Good luck.

fiero_silva

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2003 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaDirect Link to This Post
Let's say your car was swapped over to a fastback, and they didnt do the grils... If it were originaly a Notchback then it may not be an 86GT.
I suggest running a carfax....

AL

Daniel87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2003 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Daniel87GTSend a Private Message to Daniel87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero_silva:

Let's say your car was swapped over to a fastback, and they didnt do the grils... If it were originaly a Notchback then it may not be an 86GT.
I suggest running a carfax....

AL

to find out what it really is, it would be cheaper to just use a vin decoder http://www.fiero.net/vin.html

Pontiac Boi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2003 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pontiac BoiSend a Private Message to Pontiac BoiDirect Link to This Post
I ran a carfax and it came up as a 86GT v6, history going back to 1990. That is if the VIN is the same matching on, I'll check the VIN on the car (oddly something I haven't done yet).

Well it's good to hear I can get the fastback vent mounts and they are direct bolt-on. The right side has the fastback mount but the left side doesn't. Once again thanks for the info all.

P.S. Is it hard to find fastback vents and the mount? Thanks.

P.S.2. It's been raining here in L.A., I haven't driven the car since it has rained but do you think with those small vents that water will get in and damage the engine? Probably a dumb question but just to be safe.

DustoneGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2003 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DustoneGTSend a Private Message to DustoneGTDirect Link to This Post
The stock GT vents let in their share of water...I wouldn't worry about driving it around until you get the correct vents. Nothing to worry about.
WingNut - MD

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2003 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pontiac Boi:

I ran a carfax and it came up as a 86GT v6, history going back to 1990. That is if the VIN is the same matching on, I'll check the VIN on the car (oddly something I haven't done yet).

Well it's good to hear I can get the fastback vent mounts and they are direct bolt-on. The right side has the fastback mount but the left side doesn't. Once again thanks for the info all.

P.S. Is it hard to find fastback vents and the mount? Thanks.

P.S.2. It's been raining here in L.A., I haven't driven the car since it has rained but do you think with those small vents that water will get in and damage the engine? Probably a dumb question but just to be safe.

Remember the 86 GT came in 2 flavors, Notchback in the early part of the year and Fastback after mid-year. This could very well be an 86 GT that was a N/B and converted to a F/B.

------------------

"Peg"----------- PFF: THE ORIGINAL AND THE BEST!----------- [Signature graciously provided by Naskie 18]
www.cardomain.com/id/wingnutmd- Updated 11.16.03

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2003 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Actually, just to clear this up.. 86GT only came in one form... the fastback. The 86SE had the same body style as the 85 GT. There is no 86 1/2 GT. The 86 GT only had one body style.

fierohutch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2003 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohutchSend a Private Message to fierohutchDirect Link to This Post
i'm with him, mine is an 86se v6, and the only difference is the fastback clip and components.

it's the car in my sig, but it came with turbofan wheels, those are off of a 88 formula.

------------------

Pontiac Boi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2003 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pontiac BoiSend a Private Message to Pontiac BoiDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WingNut - MD:

Remember the 86 GT came in 2 flavors, Notchback in the early part of the year and Fastback after mid-year. This could very well be an 86 GT that was a N/B and converted to a F/B.

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Actually, just to clear this up.. 86GT only came in one form... the fastback. The 86SE had the same body style as the 85 GT. There is no 86 1/2 GT. The 86 GT only had one body style.

I think I agree with jaskispyder on this one, all 86GT's were fastbacks. Maybe there were rare notchie 86GT's, I don't know, but I believe most were fastbacks.

PFF
System Bot
naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2003 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by WingNut - MD:

The 86 Fiero came in two flavors, but the 86GT wasn't available until the fastback body style showed up. An 86SE, however, is basically an 85GT with the ground effects painted a different color...black, I believe....

------------------
Nick www.naskie18.com AIM: Naskie182010

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2003 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Yup. What the others have said. The only 86 GT was the fastback.
I still remember prowling around the Pontiac dealer and when I saw the SEs with the ground effects, I thought they had cancelled the GT.

------------------
Raydar
88 3.4 coupe.

Coming soon...
88 Formula, presently under the knife.

Pontiac Boi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2003 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pontiac BoiSend a Private Message to Pontiac BoiDirect Link to This Post
I don't know how this thread turned this in to a body style thread, but my baby is indeed a 1986 "GT Fastback"

Here are some pics of the grill mounts, it looks like the passenger side has the mount still for the fastback grill but the driver side doesn't, not sure if it's suppose to be like that so any input from you guys with fastbacks is greatly appreciated:

[This message has been edited by Pontiac Boi (edited 12-10-2003).]

GT86

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2003 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86Send a Private Message to GT86Direct Link to This Post
That driver side mount looks like a piece of angle iron. The mounts are supposed to bolt to the inner most strut tower bolt, as in your picture of the passenger side. And those are definetely notchback vents, the fastback vents are curved to follow the quarter window frame. There's a set on ebay now, you can see the difference: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33645&item=2447698724

The same seller has the mounts for sale as well: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33645&item=2447699294

------------------
Brad
86 GT 5 speed
Aren't all Fieros project cars?

DustoneGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2003 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DustoneGTSend a Private Message to DustoneGTDirect Link to This Post
I have an 86.5 GT.
85GT was the only GT notchback.
I may be wrong but this is my understanding as of now:
86.5 GTs came with the 120 MPH speedo and 5 speed getrag if it was a manual.
Early 86GTs came w/ 4 speed and some had 85 speedo. If it came with automatic
transmission, no changes were made except for the 120 speedo.

The vents:
Your passenger side mount looks like mine, it can accept the fastback vent, but you'll have to use the bolt hole that is farther back than the one you are using now.
For the driver side it looks like you have the notchback vent mount, and will have to switch it out to put a fastback vent on it. Thats pretty dang weird.

Edit: If I were you I'd bid on those mounts, get that GT looking like it should!
------------------
<Black 86.5 GT, Auto w/ 3.33, Sunroof>
<2.5" Flowmaster Exhaust, K&N Filter and no rain guard>
<Yokohama 215/60R15 Tires, CS130 140 Amp Alternator>
<Pioneer DEH-P77DH, Pioneer 4X10's in dash>

[This message has been edited by DustoneGT (edited 12-11-2003).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2003 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Ok... I think the confusion came from GM and the press... the 86.5 GT most likely had the 5-speed. I am not sure of the speedo issue.

Still.. it is not an 86.5 GT.. it is a GT with a 4-speed or a 5-speed.

I believe GM used the term 86.5 term for the press so they could claim the all new fiero GT. The 5-speed was not available for early run GTs and came into play toward the end of the model year. The GT available in mid year and the 5-speed was available end year.

hmmm.. funny to be talking about these little differences..

WingNut - MD

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2003 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by naskie18:

The 86 Fiero came in two flavors, but the 86GT wasn't available until the fastback body style showed up. An 86SE, however, is basically an 85GT with the ground effects painted a different color...black, I believe....

Ok, I screwed up. I was under the impression that early 86 GT's were notchbacks....sheesh

Now I know

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock