Started on: 12-05-2003 06:45 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Darth Fiero on 12-07-2003 01:17 AM
befarrer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for befarrerSend a Private Message to befarrerDirect Link to This Post
Apart from the TH125, what other automatic transmissions fit in the Fiero. I am interested in finding a 4 speed if it will fit the factory mounts, and work with the stock harness.

------------------
Details on my 1984 Fiero 2M4 Sport Coupe #1192 Here
Long live the Duke!! 2.5L Upgrade coming soon I hope.
Member of the Edmonto Fiero Club

Rate me if you want!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Street&Strip Performance

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Street&Strip PerformanceSend a Private Message to Street&Strip PerformanceDirect Link to This Post
TH440-T4(4T60, non-E) is a 4-speed OD tranny that you can find on any late eighties early 90s W-Body(Cutlass, Lumina, Grand Prix, Regal). It will mount up to the Fiero, I'm not aware of any modifications, but someone will pipe up if there are any needed.
derangedsheep

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for derangedsheepSend a Private Message to derangedsheepDirect Link to This Post
I too am interested in this swap. But, what would you have to do to the shifter to accept P-R-N-OD-D-2-1 instead of the normal P-R-N-D-2-1
88 Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 FormulaSend a Private Message to 88 FormulaDirect Link to This Post
Check Ogre's site, he has the whole swap w/pictures described. I think the Fiero shifter may just not be able to lock the tranny in first gear, you still can select
P-R-N-OD-D-2 no real disadvantage
Rainman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
As I recall the axles will need to be redone, but most everything else will bolt up.

If you run a search for terms like "4 speed auto" you should find more than enough reading material. Most of it is probably in the TD&C archives, so go there first.

PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
http://www.fieroaddiction.com/4T60a.html

I have found 1990 and a few years around that in a pontiac 6000 had the 3.33 fd ratio.

Pete

[This message has been edited by PBJ (edited 12-05-2003).]

Banner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2003 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BannerSend a Private Message to BannerDirect Link to This Post
I have done this swap. Everything you need you can buy over the counter at most parts stores. Your shifter will still work only D will now by 4, 2 will be 3, and 1 will be 2. You can shift into first with most fiero's, it's just off the scale.
http://snowcloude.com/TurboFiero/FIERO-4T60.html

Has my experiences with it, as well as links to the three major pages out there about it. Plus I've put up some of the stuff that has appeared here in the forums on it. Good Luck, the change is worth the money in gas savings alone.

------------------
87 GT 3.4 V6 4spd Overdrive (Auto) Fiero
w/nitrous (Turbo on hold...)

befarrer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2003 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for befarrerSend a Private Message to befarrerDirect Link to This Post
Thanks all!

I got an engine out of a 1986 Buick Sommerset (That I later returned because it was a N block), it had an auto tranny, that looked the same as the TH125C, but I did not, look at the tag to see what it was. Could that have been a 4T60, or was that not early 80's enough?

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2003 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
The 4T60 came out in 91-92 model year. It was slighly improved over the 440-T4, mainly because it got all the latest design updates from GM that fixed a lot of problems that the earlier 440-T4's had.

The OD (440-T4, 4T60) trans will require a different inner tripod on the driver's side than what works with the 125-C. Also, the OD trans is bigger on the driver's side as well and will require a shorter axle on that side. I have found that a left CV axle from a 94 Beretta with a 3100/4T60-E works well in most applications. I also believe the stock left CV axle from the Fiero works on the pass side of the 4T60. I don't know for sure as I had done this with a 4T60-E and can't remember if there is a slight length difference. I think there may be. In any event I think the right 94 beretta axle will also work here too.

The 440-T4 mounts that fit a 91 LeSabre will work in the Fiero however the slots in the Fiero cradle will need to be enlongated to allow the trans to slide slightly to the driver's side. This is to compensate for the extra length of the trans.

Other than that, check out: http://spacecoastfieros.com/tech/440-4T60/ on how to modify the stock fiero shift cable bracket to work with the OD trans.

------------------
power corrupts. absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Custom GM Chip Burning | Fiero Engine Conversions | Turbocharging | dtcc.cz28.com

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock