Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Why is no one putting V8s in conversions?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Why is no one putting V8s in conversions? by jjs316
Started on: 12-05-2003 06:35 PM
Replies: 21
Last post by: chester on 12-07-2003 08:46 AM
jjs316

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjs316Send a Private Message to jjs316Direct Link to This Post
i see all these exotic car converstions on these sites, but no one is putting V8s or anything into them? is there a reason for this? wont fit? anything like that?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Quite a few do have V8's in there stock Fiero or rebodie.A Corvett motor will fit back there.Some people don't want to get into a money pit.Others want the look of Lugsurey,but want good fuel economy.Some V6's will pump out 500HP.It all boils down to how much you want to spend and how fast you want to go.
bdjones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bdjonesSend a Private Message to bdjonesDirect Link to This Post
They fit and there are plenty of them out there. Check out http://www.v8archie.com.

--Brett

jjs316

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjs316Send a Private Message to jjs316Direct Link to This Post
oh i know theres some out there, i was just curious. i have been looking around and seen a bunch for sale with just 4 or 6s in them, i was just wondering if it was because the v8s wouldnt fit or something. Thanks

[This message has been edited by jjs316 (edited 12-05-2003).]

Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
Some people throw a body on a Fiero wit hthe stock drive train then try to sell it for a lot more $$$$$ then they are worth. I guess if they throw a Body on it and a $400 Macco paint job they can sell it for $10K +. I for one would never do one just to sell. I could be wrong, would not be the first and will not be the last

------------------

http://home.cfl.rr.com/fierose
Central Florida Fieroshttp://www.centralfloridafieros.com

LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
They probably don't want to raise the price too much. And the places that do rebody. Specialize more in body work than mechanical. Not saying they couldn't just not their specialty. If I was doing a rebody I would be putting in a v8 or 3800 SC

see sig
edit because I can't type put the in place of than.
------------------
LS1 v8 T-Top 87 GT

http://www.acxunlimited.com/ls1swap.htm

[This message has been edited by LS1swap (edited 12-06-2003).]

sanderson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post
And some of the professional kit car guys are scared off a V-8 by lack of a manual transaxle officially rated for the V-8's torque.
PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
I think alot of kits are done as a hobby, it is not to often you are mechanicly inclined and a body man. Usually you are one or the other. The ones with both body and engine mods probably have alot more dollars in them that they had to pay out. IMO
Tom Corey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom CoreySend a Private Message to Tom CoreyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jjs316:

i see all these exotic car converstions on these sites, but no one is putting V8s or anything into them? is there a reason for this? wont fit? anything like that?

Last time I looked, I still had this SBC in my 87GT

------------------
Tom Corey
Melbourne, FL
87 Green T-Top GT 5Spd SBC ZZ3 V8
88 Yellow T-Top GT, 4.9L Caddy, 4T60E

DRA

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post
This is one of the most off the wall posts I've seen on this forum. One of the biggest topics or most volatile subjects on this forum is the infamous SBC VS V6 (or anything besides a SBC) topic. Obviously a newbie, hang around for a while, do a few searches, and you will find out that a SBC is at home in the Fiero as it is in the Vega!
jjs316

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2003 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjs316Send a Private Message to jjs316Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by DRA:

This is one of the most off the wall posts I've seen on this forum. One of the biggest topics or most volatile subjects on this forum is the infamous SBC VS V6 (or anything besides a SBC) topic. Obviously a newbie, hang around for a while, do a few searches, and you will find out that a SBC is at home in the Fiero as it is in the Vega!

You obviously didnt see or read my original post. I was asking why i didnt see many V8s in the replica cars for sale around the internet. No where did i say i didnt see ANY v8s in ANY fieros. And yes, Im new, So SORRY. no need to be a prick about it.

PFF
System Bot
jjs316

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2003 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjs316Send a Private Message to jjs316Direct Link to This Post

jjs316

11 posts
Member since Dec 2003
As for the rest of you that has posted back to my question, Thanks, you have pretty much answered what i asked. Thanks again.
DRA

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2003 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post

You obviously didnt see or read my original post. I was asking why i didnt see many V8s in the replica cars for sale around the internet. No where did i say i didnt see ANY v8s in ANY fieros. And yes, Im new, So SORRY. no need to be a prick about it.

Wasn't trying to be an a$$ about it just saying I've seen a LOT of rebodies with motor swaps. At least a couple of GT40, and several Lambo rebodies. The only Diablo rebody I have seen around my parts is a SBC.
I've seen a few really nice ones for sale on the net that have SBC's in them, probably in relation to Fiero's in general a rebody is just as likely to have a V8 in it as a stock body. If someone is building it to sell, it would seem smarter to leave the choice of drivetrain to the buyer, some folks want just the looks.

Didn't mean to come across as rude, it's one of the drawbacks of text only communication. It was a long day at work and it just struck me as a funny subject for the tech section, I did say "off the wall" not "stupid" LOL.
See ya round.

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2003 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

As for the rest of you that has posted back to my question, Thanks, you have pretty much answered what i asked. Thanks again.

I hope you don't mind if I give my opinion and Welcome you to the Forum.

Now this is just my opinion based on what I've seen in the last 16 years or so.

Like you read earlier, some are Body guys some are engine guys, not very often do you get someone who is good at both.

IMHO, There are 3 different kinds of people who build Fiero based Kit Cars. There are always some exceptions & some people who will blend between 2 groups but I think this will sum it up for you.

1) The "Sellers" I'd say this is 70% of the cars you are talking about. These are the guys who Build the cars to resell them. Some are built very well but most are thrown together. They typically are the ones that you are talking about. They many times leave the stock driveline in it to keep the cost down & in their For Sale ads they always mention that you can upgrade the engine after you buy the car. Problem is that those who built their car very well have to compete in the same market as the POS cars. Keeping in mind that many of these cars are built as cheap as possible, ..... you may not want to buy a car that has a V-8 installed by the same guy who can't mount a rear view mirror on his kit car that doesn't wiggle.

2) "Supplier Built" These are the cars built by the manufacturers or sellers of the body kits. Many times these are built to show case the products they sell. These are usually pretty expensive when they are available for sale because the manufacturer has tried to make the car look as good as posible. Since many of these guys are not in the business of selling V-8 kits, only the most enthusiastic and successful of them can afford to put V-8's in their whole fleet of Demos.
Whenever one of these well built & higher priced V-8 cars goes up for sale, it is almost always sold to someone in Group 3.

3) "Keepers" These are the guys who want the best & once they have the best, they aren't really interested in selling it for what you want to pay. They realize that for the price of a Camaro they can have a modern supercar that's more unique or exotic looking than any Camaro. Almost all of these cars either have an engine upgrade or are about to have one. When one of these goes up for sale, they don't sell to people who don't know the difference between quality and crap. These cars are usually kept for a long time. I know guys that have been driving the same car for more than 10 years and are quite happy. Many time when these cars sell, they are sold in person and not on the internet.

Hope this helps

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 12-06-2003).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2003 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Very well stated Archie!!!

------------------

http://www.cartsys.com/fiero/cal-engine.wav

jjs316

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2003 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjs316Send a Private Message to jjs316Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for all the help.

Dra, Sorry i missunderstood you. Thanks for your help also.

3fifty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2003 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3fiftySend a Private Message to 3fiftyDirect Link to This Post
OK guy's, I both and broke. lol lol
3fifty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2003 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3fiftySend a Private Message to 3fiftyDirect Link to This Post

3fifty

245 posts
Member since Oct 2000
I'll try the pics again. sorry
chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2003 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post
Check out website in sig...

Rob D.

------------------

The Dirty Rat
Chopped, dropped and just plain NASTY!
2.5" Drop
11" Brakes
17" Revolutions
RCC Coilover Suspension
Updated June 29 '03 www.dirtyratracing.org

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2003 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chester:

Check out website in sig...

Rob D.

Haha, I just checked out your web site and the into is wild.

That is cool.

Archie

Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2003 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
I guess that would make me a "Keeper"!!

[This message has been edited by Lambo nut (edited 12-06-2003).]

PFF
System Bot
chester
From: State of insanity...moved in and comfortably numb...

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2003 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chesterSend a Private Message to chesterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Haha, I just checked out your web site and the into is wild.

That is cool.

Archie

Thanks Archie,

Just have to update it with the chop

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock