Started on: 12-05-2003 02:25 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: MarkJPana on 12-06-2003 07:42 AM
MarkJPana

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkJPanaSend a Private Message to MarkJPanaDirect Link to This Post
any ideas on why the horn wouldnt work, the column that i have uses the manual one and im trying to get it to work with an electrical grounding method. what can i do, i need to be able to pass inspection soon

anyone ever rig up their own horn, could u tell me how u did it?

thanks
~Mark

------------------
Black 85GT

No PM Please
AIM : Mjpana252
email : MJPana@Comcast.net

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Street&Strip Performance

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Street&Strip PerformanceSend a Private Message to Street&Strip PerformanceDirect Link to This Post
Does your radio work? Is the radio fuse in the fuse block blown? It's connected in with the radio, cigarette lighter and I think the interior lights under the dash by the doors.

Another thing is to make sure the horn is put together properly. I switched my steering wheel from the 4 spoke econo-wheel(wire for the horn) to the '84 3 spoke(manual striker for horn) and I didn't put the spring in the proper place and my horn wouldn't work.

MarkJPana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkJPanaSend a Private Message to MarkJPanaDirect Link to This Post
the fuse is good, but inside the horn there is a white surround peice, but mine is a little broken it seems, but i dont think it would really affect the usage of the horn
~Mark
ditch

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ditchSend a Private Message to ditchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MarkJPana:

any ideas on why the horn wouldnt work, the column that i have uses the manual one and im trying to get it to work with an electrical grounding method. what can i do, i need to be able to pass inspection soon

anyone ever rig up their own horn, could u tell me how u did it?

thanks
~Mark

If I had to rig one, I'd just run a hot wire to a button mounted somewhere on the dash...then run from the button to the horn, and from the horn to ground (anywhere on the frame)

What is the condition of the horn itself? Is it grounded properly? I'd have someone push the button on the wheel while I had a voltmeter on the wire that plugs into the horn to see if it's getting juice at that point.

good luck

BTW....they check your horn during inspection?

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
oh no. Sounds to me like you Blew your horn. hahahaha, Im too much for myself.

seriously, Did the horn work before changing the column? What do you mean by your column uses a manual one? Did your horn ever work?

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com Support Mental Health, or I'll Kill Ya!!
Yellow Formula Signature

• 88 Yellow FORMULA-undergoing a ZZ3 350 with Accel 1000CFM Street Ram TPI and Gen VI DFI=345HP/390TQ
  • I Keep them in seperate garages and never take the bra off of one.
  • Black 88 formula-stock black and tan.
  • My Shower Cam
MarkJPana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkJPanaSend a Private Message to MarkJPanaDirect Link to This Post
the horn did not work the manual meaning i had the pushbutton in the center, not the side buttons.

RTNmsds

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RTNmsdsClick Here to visit RTNmsds's HomePageSend a Private Message to RTNmsdsDirect Link to This Post
It can be a few things (i.e. horn button contact ring, fuse, relay, or even the horn itself). I start by unplugging the horn itself and use a voltmeter to see if power is getting to the unit when the horn button is pressed. If not, then start tracing backwords.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
check the fuse on the passenger side first!
Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
OK Im sorry ahead of time..can not believe this has not been done yet.

------------------

http://home.cfl.rr.com/fierose
Central Florida Fieroshttp://www.centralfloridafieros.com

TBK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TBKClick Here to visit TBK's HomePageSend a Private Message to TBKDirect Link to This Post
I had a similiar problem. No blown fuse, but still no horn. I took a long wire, ran it from the battery positive and touched the terminals on the trumpets. Both trumpets worked, so I knew it wasn't them. I started to trace them, first starting at the horn button itself.

I had been told there would be a "clicking" sound whenever I pushed the horn button if power was making the ciruit, but stopped around the trumpet area....I had no clicking noise.

I removed the "push" pin which makes contact (it looks like a nail with a blunt tip) and I made a positive connection with a bolt. (This is hard to explain, but easy to see once you rip off the horn button in the steering wheel). The horn worked. I ended up taking a concrete nail and cut off the tip with a dremel; I now have a working horn.

I am not sure why this pin was too short, but it might be your problem too.

------------------
My lugnuts require more torque than your Honda puts out.
-TBK (The Black Knight)
'87 GT

MarkJPana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2003 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkJPanaSend a Private Message to MarkJPanaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kento:

OK Im sorry ahead of time..can not believe this has not been done yet.

i had that sticker on my first fiero! ahhaha too good

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock