2.8 Turbo + Nitrous ? too much ? by Kswiss
Started on: 12-04-2003 06:38 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: Arns85GT on 02-11-2004 01:00 PM
Kswiss

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KswissSend a Private Message to KswissDirect Link to This Post
Well I plan on converting my 2.8 to a 3.2 and turbo'ing it. Now would it just be too much for the engine to take, if i wanted to put nitrous on it?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ditch

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ditchSend a Private Message to ditchDirect Link to This Post
I'm no authority on turbos or nitrous, but why do both? If you're willing to go nitrous, forget the turbo and just do nitrous. If you want more power, just increase the NOS shot.

I would think if you used nitrous and boost at the same time something would definitely give. If it could work, that would be a kick a$$ 2.8

Kswiss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KswissSend a Private Message to KswissDirect Link to This Post
yea, i was thinking the same thing, do one or the other, but i thought it would be really sweet to have both.
dbtk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dbtk2Send a Private Message to dbtk2Direct Link to This Post
I know of a LOT of people that run nitrous on their Supercharged 3.8's, and I also know of a few people that run nitrous on their Turbo 3.1's, so it will work. The problem is that you will have to make sure your fuel system and computer can provide enough fuel, if not it could cost you an engine. If you run a big enough shot it would probably start doing some damage. I would just keep the shots fairly small (50-75 shot range). I know of one guy in particular that has a Supercharged 3.8, and he runs 12psi boost and can only run a 75 shot of nitrous. Everytime he tries to run a 100 shot, he blows a head gasket because of the high cylinder pressure from the boost & nitrous. Those kinds of things MAY give you trouble, but like I said, if you keep it mild it should be OK.

------------------
2002 40th Anniversary Grand Prix GTP
12.408 @ 108.27 w/1.768 60'
The Fastest L67 W-Body w/Stock Cam!
2000 Bonneville SSEi
14.681 @ 94.90 w/2.299 60'
3.4" Pulley, 1.9 Rockers
1990 Grand Prix McLaren 3.1L Turbo
14.819 @ 92.72 w/2.093 60'
160 T-Stat, TopGun Chip w/11.5psi Boost

[This message has been edited by dbtk2 (edited 12-04-2003).]

Firefighter1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Firefighter1Send a Private Message to Firefighter1Direct Link to This Post
In a short time you could sell your engine block back to the iron works, it would be just another solid block with no moving parts
to be meltrd down.
Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post12-04-2003 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
It would work nicely.

Nitrous 'll spool that turbo right up.

You will break things once you start making real power though.

Black_Havoc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black_HavocSend a Private Message to Black_HavocDirect Link to This Post
Now were in My field. I have a DSM and we use turbo's and nitrous all the time. Since the car came with a turbo to begin with, they all have metal head gaskets, so we don't worry about blowing them. There is a guy named John Shepard running 8's with his Talon. Street tires and all. Striped down interior, 150 shot of nitrous and a big ol turbo running 35 PSI. I think he was at around 850 HP last time I checked. Oh did I mention we only have 2.0L DOHC 4 bangers? I'm only runnings 12.5 PSI right now, and am spanking everything but the Supra's. I even tied a Z28. And I have a totally stock motor except for the 1.5PSI increase from stock 11, a K&N, hacked air box, and all intake restrictions taken out. I'm making somewhere around 215-225 at the flywheel, though it does help to have AWD. Woa strayed off topic there. In a word, Yes you can use nitrous and a turbo, but you better have on helluva intercooler, as your EGT's are going to skyrocket.

------------------
Jim
87 2.5, 5 speed.
93 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 5 speed, and yes its turbocharged

[This message has been edited by Black_Havoc (edited 12-05-2003).]

Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
If you don't exceed the power levels the engine , fuel and ignition systems can handle, Nitrous is a great addition to a turbo system. Can reduce spoolup time but even better it's a great intercooler. You'll see over 200 degree temp drops to the intake charge.

And it sure sounds cool when your boasting... "yep, turbo'd AND nitrous'd, should turn 8's at the track" ;-)

ezramore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ezramoreSend a Private Message to ezramoreDirect Link to This Post
Just be sure 2 upgrade your fuel pump and you moght consider upgrading your fuel lines as well. It will be a challenge to get everything balanced out but a friend of mine did a dodge shadow and races it at vandaberg speed way. You will definatley need a good intercooler. If its an older engine you might consider doing a total rebuild during the conversion to prevent losing the bottom end. Sounds like a fun project though...Good Luck

------------------
Ezra
88 Fiero 2M4 90000 Miles

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Typically a shot of nitrous is used on turbocharged engines to overcome boost lag during turbo spool up. Once a good launch is made the boost takes over and the nitrous shot either shuts off or tapers down. Ideally you need a good N2O controller to accomplish this degree of precise operation. As for putting a shot of nitrous in without control; cylinder pressures at high boost levels rise so dramatically that the chances of blowing something would increase dramatically. Will it definately happen- NO. Is it more likely to happen-yes.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://www.turbochargerpower.com/turbo.htm

Kswiss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2003 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KswissSend a Private Message to KswissDirect Link to This Post
Thanks a lot guys, ive been losing sleep trying to decide what I want. I think I am just going to do a 3.2 conversion with the boring and stroking and all, and nitrous. I don't have the money yet to do turbo + nitrous.
PFF
System Bot
Ironfiero12

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2004 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ironfiero12Send a Private Message to Ironfiero12Direct Link to This Post
keep dreaming kevin,
finsh taking the engine apart , and putting it back together pefore adding nos and boost
lol j/k man
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2004 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
wow - overkill! either nitrous or a turbo can be adjusted to the point of motor destruction. But, properly done, can make for a wicked combo. as mentioned, using nitrous on the low end to compensate any turbo lag is one good thing, or using it at the top end to compensate for a small quick spool turbo thats gasps at the top end. also, the nitrous injection acts as an intercooler, cooling the air charge. either way, I do think its way to much management when one or the other would get simaler results by itself.
Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2004 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post
You have to remeber SC'ed cars and DSM's are designed for boost. A 2.8 isnt a motor that was built to handle boost. You can add a few lbs, but once you go above 8 on a stock motor you better start watching things. A 50-75 shot is all I would run on a non turbo 2.8. Im not going to run anything bigger than 75 on my LT1, and thats a much stronger motor. If you do it, keep it at the smallest shot possible just to spool the turbo. I think its a 35 shot thats the smallest.

------------------
1986 GT, LT1/4T60E
Find out whats involved See" TARGET=_blank>http://dtcc.cz28.com/LT1build/index.htm
See
its progress on the Forum. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/045554.html

Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2004 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post
A friend of mine name Ron Myers ran a turbo and nitrous is the mid 90's. He had a 3.2, forged pistons, roller cam etc. He was in the 13-15psi boost range and I think a 50 shot or nitrous. He ran a low 12's with the combo, maybe high 11's (can't remember). Anyway if running both, I would sure lean towards forged pistons and ARP head studs, and anything else to strenghten the motor.
He was running the Getrag, if running the auto, just get a high stall converter and you have no turbo lag, besides this turbo lag is overrated, I had a car identical to his (well, his 87GT, mine 88Formula), anyway if you are drag racing, and rev to 2500-3000 rpm, drop the clutch, the engine is under boost instantly. He just could not get anymore psi out of the turbo, so he added nitrous.
I owned an 89 Turbo TA and driving around town, car was a dog............until it got under a load..........then it was a rocket sled.
Lag depends a lot on turbo sizing, if you run a 1250cfm Mitsubishi, you will have a LOT of lag. OK extreme example, but you get the point...............Paul
peabody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2004 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for peabodySend a Private Message to peabodyDirect Link to This Post
Very true, the 2.8 isn't designed for SC. The number of bolts that hold the head down are a limiting factor. By re-designing or working around its shortcomings you can safely SC and NOX.
O-ringing the block will help. High quality forged pistons. Either race quality aftermarket rods or re-machining a set of HD SBC rods. The stock cast nodular iron crankshaft will need either to be replaced with a forged crank or at least machining in leadin grooves in the main journals and properly balanced. That should keep it together under hard use.
You may want to look at the cost of an engine swap instead. To each his own.
Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2004 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post
Good point peabody, when its all said and done, you could probly have a SC'ed 3800 in your car. Something to think about. With very little investment, the 3800 can be an absolute screamer.

------------------
1986 GT, LT1/4T60E Find" TARGET=_blank>http://hometown.aol.com/ptfiero/index.html
Find
out whats involved See" TARGET=_blank>http://dtcc.cz28.com/LT1build/index.htm
See
its progress on the Forum https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/045554.html

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2004 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
My hat is off to anybody who is willing to combo the 2.8.

The cranks can self-destruct, and the internals really weren't designed for it.

I think you should be willing to write it off if it blows up on you. If you want a

more dependable rocket, the 3800 sc is your best bet, if you can't afford an Lt-1.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock