Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  How to Install 4x6 Plate Speakers in your Fiero.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

How to Install 4x6 Plate Speakers in your Fiero. by derangedsheep
Started on: 12-04-2003 06:23 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: derangedsheep on 02-24-2004 05:07 PM
derangedsheep

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for derangedsheepSend a Private Message to derangedsheepDirect Link to This Post
OK, so heres the deal.
I see people who want to put plate speakers in their Fiero but won't because they don't fit or something, so here's a write up on how I put plates in mine.

I have these: http://bostonacoustics.com/ca_product.asp?ProductID=91

They came with the car and they don't fit because the mounting depth(1.75") is too big. But I did make them fit.

First of all, the mounting hole was too small, so we bought dremel cutting discs and cut about 1/4" off the side of the hole.

My dad and I then went out and bought 1/2" plywood (you could probably use 3/4"). Then we traced the face of the plate onto the wood and cut it out. We cut the inside of the wood out and dremeled it smooth. We lined it up on the back of the speeker and it was the right size. Then we put foam weatherstripping all around the mounting plate to keep vibrations to a minimum. None of the mounting holes lined up, so we bought some sheet metal screws and re-drilled the mounting holes in the car and put the sheet metal screws in to hold it in place I only put 3 screws in, but I tightened the hell out of them so it wouldn't vibrate.

The stereo sounds great, and there's no vibrations. It took some work, but it was worth it. The wiring also had to be extended about 4" or so. Here's pictures of one of the mounting plates.

Dont let the cutting and work get you discouraged, plate speakers will most likely sound better than any normal speaker. Good luck!

Steve

(leave me a + if this was of help )

Edited because I can't spell.
------------------

87 GT Auto: New Ignition System, New Stereo System, New Radiator. Fiero WArehouse Scorpion SideScoop. Needs a rear tie-rod to pass inspection.
AIM: derangedsheep | email: elcodjsteveo@comcast.net
SUPPORTING MEMBER

[This message has been edited by derangedsheep (edited 12-04-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mattm

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattmSend a Private Message to mattmDirect Link to This Post
Nice. You get a +

Matt

derangedsheep

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2004 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for derangedsheepSend a Private Message to derangedsheepDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE!

I had my interior apart so that I could test out a few things for fitting purposes. I took some pics of the mounted speakers.

Sorry about the weird blur thing, my camera is weird.

Here's a different angle.

------------------

87 GT Auto: Scorpion side scoop. Gas suspension on all 4 corners. That's it.
AIM: derangedsheep | email: elcodjsteveo@comcast.net
SUPPORTING MEMBER

DustoneGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2004 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DustoneGTSend a Private Message to DustoneGTDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like the more expensive version of the project I did.
That looks real nice and probably sounds even better.

I went the Radio Shack ceramic tweeter route myself.
http://www.zianet.com/dusty

How do they sound?

------------------
May those that love us love us. For those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts. But if he can't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, so that we may know them by their limping.

Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2004 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
I'm curious to see how you modify the interior molding and grills to fit around the new speaker, and how looks when its all said and done. Keep up the good work!
derangedsheep

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2004 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for derangedsheepSend a Private Message to derangedsheepDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DustoneGT:

How do they sound?

i think they sound incredible. theres not a ton of bass, they only respond down to 85hz, and i wouldnt expect to get a ton of bass form such a small driver. but the treble is clear and distinct and the mids are well defined. i think one reason for the way it sounds is it has liquid cooled tweeters. ive had these quite loud theres not a bit of distortion. boston makes great stuff. i was thinking about getting the boston 3.5" for my seats when i do the seats. im working on a 10 speaker sound system

Originally posted by Fastback 86:

I'm curious to see how you modify the interior molding and grills to fit around the new speaker, and how looks when its all said and done. Keep up the good work!

the grills fit just fine, i did no modifications. theres accually quite a bit of room between the pillar and the cover. it looks completly stock when the panels are on and everything.

[This message has been edited by derangedsheep (edited 01-29-2004).]

Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2004 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Coooooooooool I may have to do that one of these days.
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2004 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Steve, this is great! I might have to try this soon. Positive for your good documentation. BTW, did the module fix your problem?

Dwayne

------------------

derangedsheep

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2004 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for derangedsheepSend a Private Message to derangedsheepDirect Link to This Post
Its still too cold to touch the tools. Its like, 15 degrees outside and barely over 30 in my garage. ill see if i can find a space heater and fix it this weekend and ill let you know.
derangedsheep

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2004 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for derangedsheepSend a Private Message to derangedsheepDirect Link to This Post
just bumping this up

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock