Crank but no Start by Luis
Started on: 12-04-2003 09:35 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: avengador1 on 12-05-2003 08:31 PM
Luis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LuisSend a Private Message to LuisDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1987 Fiero GT. Everything was o.k. until I got the check engine light a week ago. I checked and It was a code 32. one morning the car cracked but to start. After about 20 tries, it fired up right away. No problems for about a week but today, It did the same things. I change the positive cable from the started to the battery that was corroed. Before I forget, there are two spark plugs that I can't remove. they are the ones in front of the firewall. Any sugestions for where should I start looking for problems?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierohutch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohutchSend a Private Message to fierohutchDirect Link to This Post
welcome to the forum Luis. it's nice to see that there are fieros in puerto rico (learn something new everyday!)

oh well, if you can hear the fuel pump and semll gas then, your problem probably has something to do with a piece called the ignition module. it is under the distributor cap and it's black (usually) and about the size of your palm. usually about 30 bucks from www.fierostore.com

hope this works for you! Hutch

------------------

Proud Owner of a Black 86 2M6!
Guess What.....I joined NIFE!
AIM: Hutchmyster85

fierohutch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohutchSend a Private Message to fierohutchDirect Link to This Post

fierohutch

1068 posts
Member since Feb 2003
me again! here is a picture of one off the fierostores homepage.

these work good, and there pretty cheap!

go to www.fierostore.com then click in this order

start shopping,
ignition,
v6 modules,
first ones on the page!
any questions post here, and i'll be happy to TRY and help

Luis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LuisSend a Private Message to LuisDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for your support. I will be giving it a shot.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
There are a couple of other members in Puerto Rico. Drexter is one, but he is supposed to be moving to Florida soon.
camon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for camonSend a Private Message to camonDirect Link to This Post
I would remove the air filter hose from the throttle body and squirt some fuel directly into the throttle body. crank it over and see if it starts. If it don't start then you have a fuel delivery issue (fuel pump fuse, fuel pump relay or fuel pump). The fuse is under the dash, the relay is behind air filter box on fire wall (looks like a small black box....if car is ac equipped there will be to of these side by side) and the fuel pump is located in the fuel tank (must drop the tank to replace).

If the car still doesn't start after squirting gas into the throttle body then I would also think it's the control module (or ignition related)!

Hope this helps....good luck!

[This message has been edited by camon (edited 12-04-2003).]

Luis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LuisSend a Private Message to LuisDirect Link to This Post
Thank you all for your support.I changed the ignition module and the spark plug wires. THe car cranked and started right away without hesitation. @days after the change and so far so good. What bother me is that the engine is backfiring at idle only. And those stubborn spark plugs that I can remove! Can this be the culprit of the car back firing? Anyone can share with me how to remove the stuck (or at least seems like they are) sparl plugs? THanks.
Luis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LuisSend a Private Message to LuisDirect Link to This Post

Luis

4 posts
Member since Dec 2003
Excuse my typos. My keyboard is dying on me. What I meant to say is that I can not remove 2 of the spark plugs close to the fiero firewall. Can this be related to the car back firing at idle? Someone told me that the car could be out of timing. Is it hard to put the car back on its correct timing? I will like to do all this work by myself. Auto mechanics in PR will rip you off just to change spark plugs! Imaging fixing a timing issue! Thanks.
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
When you say you can't change two of the pougs on the rear, do you mean your hands won't fit?
Remove the deck lid for more room.

If you mean that you can't get a socket on them, take a small screw driver with a small blade and dig out some of the grime that is in the recessed portion of the plug hole. Use compressed air to blow out the remaining loose debries that are left remaining in the hole. You should soak the plugs after cleaning the debries out with some penetrating fluid prior to making any attempt of removing them. Over night wouldn't hurt.

If the plug is rounded off and the socket won't engauge with the flats it is time to break off the spark plug where the porcalin (?SP) and the metal meet. Dig out and and blow off bits and pieces and use an easy out to get the rest of it out.

Good luck!

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Since you live in La Isla del encanto, Im guessing that your spark plugs are probably rusted to the block making them difficult to remove. You should soak them with a good penetrating oil such as Kroil or PB Blaster and let it penetrate for a couple of days. You need to make sure that the spark plug socket is seated all the way on the sparkplug or you could round it off. I use an eight inch extension rod and a ratchet that has a swivel head on it to remove mine. I find it easier to stand in the trunk when i am removing the sparkplugs. I also place an old towel over the engine so I can rest on it. Hope this helps. Buena suerte. Make sure you have the wires in the right order. It's 1-2-3-4-5-6.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 12-05-2003).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock