Chip for 3.4L by eatoninside
Started on: 12-02-2003 11:50 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: eatoninside on 12-06-2003 10:28 PM
eatoninside

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2003 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eatoninsideSend a Private Message to eatoninsideDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking for a performance chip for my newly installed 3.4L. Does anyone have any recommendations of which company to go through or how their 3.4L chip performs? I already contacted the Fiero Factory, they wanted to drive it, but I live too far away, so that is not a feasible option.

I've been looking at Westers Garage and Dennis LaGrua's chips.

Thanks

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2003 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulDirect Link to This Post
I believe Paul Vargyas has one for sale right now. You might want to send him an email or PM.
Pauls email: paulv@xnet.com

------------------

Activities Director N.I.F.E.

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2003 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Im interested in this also, so I will bump this to the top. Maybe one of those guys will chime in.
MikJam Racing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2003 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MikJam RacingSend a Private Message to MikJam RacingDirect Link to This Post
When I was going to get a chip burned for my 3.4 I was going to go to these guys: http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/scprice.htm
I talked to them on the phone and they were very enthusiastic about helping me out. They do every chip custom, little pricey, but they take every mod into account.

Mike

jeffndebrus

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2003 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
I had my 86 GT out to see Ed Parks several months ago---3.4l from 95 camaro---
Jeremy out there (I beleive) is the chip guy---but how could they program a chip for a car without analyzing the car first?
Anyway, when they tested my freshly built 3.4 with mild cam --they said it ran perfect and didn't need a chip. They burned a chip for Raydar on here for his 3.4---
Dough19

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2003 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dough19Send a Private Message to Dough19Direct Link to This Post
I'm also building a 3.4 right now and getting a custom chip burned. I'm going to use winaldl and then send the data to Darthfiero ( http://dtcc.cz28.com/ ) to burn me one. I feel that a custom chip burned for your engine will turn out a lot better than getting a chip that is supposed to work for all 3.4 swaps. We all usually have different mods done to the engine which would require a different chip. (i.e. injectors, cams, etc.)

------------------

silver 88GT
blue 87GT waiting for 3.4
http://www.geocities.com/yellow101/fiero.html

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2003 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
WinALDL? I didnt think the output was good enough to base a chip on. The refresh is so slow & the O2 sensor range is way to narrow. But, I suppose its better than guessing, and better than a stock chip. Let us know how this turns out. Anyone have any unused chips for a 3.1? (pref 2030 cam, no EGR, 17# inj)

------------------
1985 Fiero SE
Plain Red V6 Coupe

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2003 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by eatoninside:
I already contacted the Fiero Factory, they wanted to drive it, but I live too far away, so that is not a feasible option.

Originally posted by jeffndebrus:
Jeremy out there (I beleive) is the chip guy---but how could they program a chip for a car without analyzing the car first?
...They burned a chip for Raydar on here for his 3.4---

Yup, Jeremy burned the chip for me. Actually a pair of chips. One to optimize performance, and one to optimize emissions. Of course I only use the "performance" chip at the track.

He kept and drove the car for a couple of weeks. It was a brand new engine, so he actually did me a favor and broke it in for me.
IIRC, he logs the parameters while driving (uses Diacomm, I believe), then burns the chip based on those results. He also tests for "seat of the pants" performance and listens for spark knock, etc. He keeps burning chips until he's satisfied with the results.

The cool thing about it is that once he's done, it's optimized for *your* particular combination.
He also said that he's never seen two 3.4s that used the same calibrations, or that ran the same. Probably due to the different "stuff" each of us uses to get our project running.

If you can do without your car for a week or two, it's the way to go.

Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2003 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
Before you start tuning the chip, go ahead and get a new fuel filter and a new AC/Delco MAP sensor. I had my 3.4 tuned pretty well and finally noticed that the car had an old fuel filter on it. After changing the filter, all the fuel tables were off by a lot.
Then, while tuning the sliding door sports car, I had the tables close but could not get a high rpm/load stumble out of it. Swapping to a replacement MAP sensor helped, but after a few days, the tables were off again because the generic sensor was not giving a consistant reading. It took a new Delco sensor to finally get the fueling locked in and so far (knocking on the artificial wood desk surface)I have not had to touch the tables.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cooter:

Before you start tuning the chip, go ahead and get a new fuel filter and a new AC/Delco MAP sensor.

I'd expect having all fresh sensors would be ideal then, eh?

Cooter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

I'd expect having all fresh sensors would be ideal then, eh?

It would be better to replace them first than to have to do it later and have another chip made.

------------------
Welcome to Cooterville, home of the v8 'dustbuster van'.

PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
I did mine with http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/scprice.htm . Great service and fast response but expect to mail back and forth at least couple times. Dyno time will help too to provide feedback. If you don't have a local tuner that's the only $$ way. Good luck

------------------
Palm Beach Fieros
http://pbfieros.tripod.com

eatoninside

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eatoninsideSend a Private Message to eatoninsideDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

I did mine with http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/scprice.htm . Great service and fast response but expect to mail back and forth at least couple times. Dyno time will help too to provide feedback. If you don't have a local tuner that's the only $$ way. Good luck

Question: Why did you have to send the chip back and forth a couple of times?? Did it not run right or what?

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
What would be the best dyno info to send?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by eatoninside:

Question: Why did you have to send the chip back and forth a couple of times?? Did it not run right or what?

No matter who does the chip, to get it right "the first time" would require you to drive the car there and have in on their dyno. Otherwise, you start with programming based on a "best guess", which is refined further as you "test drive" with the chip.

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

eatoninside

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2003 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eatoninsideSend a Private Message to eatoninsideDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

No matter who does the chip, to get it right "the first time" would require you to drive the car there and have in on their dyno. Otherwise, you start with programming based on a "best guess", which is refined further as you "test drive" with the chip.

How does one know if the chip is done right? How do I know if the vehicle is really performing to the best of its capabilities? I don't have access to a dyno.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock