How to tighten 6 cylinder belt? by glane21
Started on: 12-01-2003 03:41 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: tinindian48 on 12-01-2003 11:32 PM
glane21

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2003 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for glane21Click Here to Email glane21Send a Private Message to glane21Direct Link to This Post
Is there a how-to with pics on this? I'm assuming you have to come at it from underneath but I can't seem to locate the adjustment bolt. My 87 GT belt squeels like a banshee when I start it up or turn on the AC so any help is appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Steve Normington

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 156
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2003 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonClick Here to Email Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post
On the bottom of the engine, towards the front on the right (passenger) side is a sheet metal bracket with three oval holes. The adjustment bolt is in this bracket. There are also two bolts on the top (cast) bracket. I was never able to loosen these, so I just used the three holes to pry the AC compressor out.

Note: I had a problem where I would tighten the bolt and it would work for a few days, then squeal again. It turned out the bolt was beginning to strip. So I got a longer bolt and a tap to clean up the threads in the compressor.

glane21

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2003 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for glane21Click Here to Email glane21Send a Private Message to glane21Direct Link to This Post
Steve, is that for the AC belt? Because it squeels even when the AC is off. I figured I needed to tighten the alternator adjustment bolt.

[This message has been edited by glane21 (edited 12-01-2003).]

My7Fieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2003 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My7FierosSend a Private Message to My7FierosDirect Link to This Post
Steve I believe he's refering to the alt. belt. Common problem for v6 fieros.
The pivot bolt for the altinator is located on the rear of the car, pass side, just behind the rear pass wheel. If you lay on your back behind that rear tire, you can feel w/your right hand the pivot bolt on the alt. I made a tool that is basically a turnbuckle with two metal pieces shaped like a V welded to each end. >-==-< I put it between the waterpump pulley and the alt pulley. I can then just turn the center portion of it and it will expand, which in turn tightens the belt. I believe JC whitney sells the tool also.
Anyway, lay behind the rear pass wheel and feel with your right hand up and behind the tire and you'll feel the bolt. Its a 13mm.
For future reference, Dayco brand belts are known to be an excellent 'squeel stopper'.
glane if you need pics Id be more than happy to run out to my car and take some.

[This message has been edited by My7Fieros (edited 12-01-2003).]

glane21

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2003 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for glane21Click Here to Email glane21Send a Private Message to glane21Direct Link to This Post
Great description, thanks My7Fireos. Pics would be great if you don't mind.
My7Fieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2003 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My7FierosSend a Private Message to My7FierosDirect Link to This Post
Having trouble w/PIP after re-downloading (had to run restore disk in my comp the other day). PM me your email and I'll email them to you glane.
chameleogaz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2003 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chameleogazClick Here to Email chameleogazSend a Private Message to chameleogazDirect Link to This Post
check out http://www.fierosails.com/belt.html it's on my list of things to build once I finish my finals next week.

-Jeff

DZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2003 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DZClick Here to Email DZSend a Private Message to DZDirect Link to This Post
Topic: Tool to Tighten Alternator Belt

A picture of my home made tool to tighten the alternater belt is located under this topic, I don't know how to copy it to this message. Also I discovered that the belt that the book shows for the car may be to long, when tightened the adjustment was at the extreme end of the slot, so I bought the next smaller size, worked great.

87GT3800SC5SPD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2003 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT3800SC5SPDSend a Private Message to 87GT3800SC5SPDDirect Link to This Post
The part of the alternator that the adjusting bolt goes through is flat on two sides. If you put the correct open end wrench on that part of the alternator, the wrench will act as a lever to tighten the alternator and you then just tighten the adjusting bolt. Sorry I can't remember the size wrench, but I'm sure you have one.

If loose, the alternator belt will squeel whenever there is increased electrical load such as right after starting, turning on the headlights or turning on the air conditioner. That's probably why you hear squeeling with the A/C rather than because the A/C belt is loose. The three holes used to lever the A/C compressor to tighten the belt has already been covered.

I hope this helps.

------------------
Bill Levin

Larry Nakamura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2003 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry NakamuraClick Here to Email Larry NakamuraSend a Private Message to Larry NakamuraDirect Link to This Post
I checked JC Whitney and they do have a
belt tightener tool. It is $9.99. I ordered
one so I have it when needed. Looks just
like the home made one.
tinindian48

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2003 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tinindian48Click Here to Email tinindian48Send a Private Message to tinindian48Direct Link to This Post
One more thing to look at Glane, be sure the alt. pulley is in line with the other pulleys. My 86 had belt squeal and when I checked it the alt. pulley was tilted in towards the engine. Further investigation revealed that the pivot hole on the alt. had oblonged causing the tension of the alt. to break the slide part of the bracket. If this happens you need to buy a new or reman. alt. and weld or replace the bracket.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock