Bore and Cam by sublime922
Started on: 12-01-2003 12:00 AM
Replies: 7
Last post by: sublime922 on 12-01-2003 08:03 PM
sublime922

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2003 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sublime922Send a Private Message to sublime922Direct Link to This Post
what is the biggest size bore a 2.8 can safely go to? i may be rebuilding an engine soon if i dont buy the one im trying to get now. my dad said to go just to 10 over just to get some fresh walls but someone else told me to go 30 over. also, ive seen alot of discussion about different cams. ill probly be looking for an upgrade cam but nothing to radical...maybe the comp cam 2030? would this kill the gas mileage of the car or cause any major problems or need any other changes? also, if anyone has an estimates on some costs....including hot tank and magnaflux block, crank turning, head rebuilding, and boring the cylinders? any help is apreciated..thanks..

Also-- does anyone know the casting number or anything to look for on the block to be sure it a fiero block and not one from another car?

[This message has been edited by sublime922 (edited 12-01-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2003 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sublime922:

what is the biggest size bore a 2.8 can safely go to? i may be rebuilding an engine soon if i dont buy the one im trying to get now. my dad said to go just to 10 over just to get some fresh walls but someone else told me to go 30 over. also, ive seen alot of discussion about different cams. ill probly be looking for an upgrade cam but nothing to radical...maybe the comp cam 2030? would this kill the gas mileage of the car or cause any major problems or need any other changes? also, if anyone has an estimates on some costs....including hot tank and magnaflux block, crank turning, head rebuilding, and boring the cylinders? any help is apreciated..thanks..

Also-- does anyone know the casting number or anything to look for on the block to be sure it a fiero block and not one from another car?

[This message has been edited by sublime922 (edited 12-01-2003).]

I would not go anything over .030. Best upgrade would be the 3.1 crank. The 2030 is a good cam and should not affect ECM. Most machine shops can handle boring, honing magnafluxing etc. Try www.engine-parts.com and see what they offer.....Paul

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2003 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
My engine is bored .060" over and has the 3.1/3.4 crank in it. It had to be checked for thickness and concentricity before boring it out this large and I cannot add forced induction to it, because it might crack the walls. If you are going to add forced induction in the future I wouldn't go more than .030" to .040" over. I got my long block from www.engine-parts.com also.
Rainman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2003 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
I went .040" over on my 2.8L. 30K miles and still going strong. But I wouldn't suggest going any more than that if you're looking for a reliable long lasting setup. That's why I went with .040".

As far as machine costs, you can spend as much as you want. I paid ~$1,100 in machine work for my rebuild.

I've bought a lot of parts from, www.summitracing.com www.northernautoparts.com www.jegs.com

[This message has been edited by Rainman (edited 12-01-2003).]

will_p

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2003 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for will_pSend a Private Message to will_pDirect Link to This Post
Actually the engines that you get from engine-parts.com or ARI are a sort of 2.8-3.4 hybrid from some trucks in Canada or something, I talked with Dave at ARI where I got my 3.4 stroker in person and he said they have thicker cylinder walls which is why they are able bore it over that much. Just clarifying that, unless he was giving me a line of BS.
sublime922

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2003 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sublime922Send a Private Message to sublime922Direct Link to This Post
ok to go to the 3.1 crank, is that all i need to change? im going to probly go to 30 over and then get some new pistons and rings in there...any suggestions on the pistons or rings? and is there anything else needed for the 3.1? will that work with stock wiring and computer? will i be able to turbo this later on or is the bore gonna prevent me from doing this?
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2003 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
If you go to a 3.1 crank you will need the flywheel from the '88 2.8 or a neutrally balanced flywheel. You could also have the flywheel weight ground off if you don't want to buy another.
sublime922

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2003 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sublime922Send a Private Message to sublime922Direct Link to This Post
will the comp cam 2030 do anything good for the otherwise stock rebuilt 2.8 bored to probly 30 over? ill probly do a home port and polish job too...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock