Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Progress Pics of the 4th Generation F-Body power steering rack!!!!!!!!!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Progress Pics of the 4th Generation F-Body power steering rack!!!!!!!!! by 1985FieroGT
Started on: 11-29-2003 09:44 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: mrfixit58 on 12-05-2003 08:33 AM
1985FieroGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2003 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Alright, I took about 4-5 hours to do this, looked at the rack for extended amounts of time to figure things out, and I believe the way I'm doing it, will work.

As seen in the above pictures (and the ones below) I completely cut off the one mount (Lord help me if this doesn't work, a new cross member.) I'm doing this the easiest and most direct way I believe possible. I even think, I *might* not need to have any welding done, but probably will. The other mount I modfied by creating a dip in it. So in effect rack will rest up against the cross member, the one modified mount, is made so I can still use that U-strap seen in the one picture, The strap will cross over and hold it down tightly, and perfectly, the mounts sitting on top of the cross member will also be mounted, the one is going to need another metal piece added to hold it because the cross member bends to the back, the other mount has just engough clearance where I think a hole can be drilled and bolted, I can also add a spacer of sorts behind the rack, and use the other strap on that. The last pic seen with the screwdriver pointing is where the tierods are thick enough to be rethreaded again at 5/8", and use the f-body ball joints and ends, I was mistaken when I told obssesed that the rod was thick all the way down. Now obssesed is working on his own variation of the rack with a 97 rack, mines from a 2000 3.8 camaro. I believe cutting and rethreading the rods where I point my screwdriver at, should work, as the whole system is push pull in a sense... So I don't think I'll have bumpsteer problems, but time will tell. The other thing is, my steering link is pointed at a higher angle then the factory one, but I aligned it, and Think it should work with maybe some modifications to the one inside the car, or possibly cutting the top of the steering hole a little more. So whats everyone's take?

Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety nine percent perspiration.

------------------
Proud owner of a Bright Red 1993 Grand Prix SE, 3.1 V6, 4 speed on the floor, fully loaded, very nice

In Progress Restoration/and attempt of a 1984 SE, powered by a 2.8 V6, and getting a future 350/383 SBC (after I can afford the rebuild). ;)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2003 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post

1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2003 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post

1985FieroGT

3835 posts
Member since Sep 2002

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2003 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Great progress but what about the 88s? Is this going to work on the 88 setup?
1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2003 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
I don't know, I don't have an 88.
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2003 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
I have a rack on the way and will see how well it will work in the 88
mckay_lee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2003 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mckay_leeSend a Private Message to mckay_leeDirect Link to This Post
nice work so far keep us posted on the progress
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2003 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Dude, if that's the rack off of your car, it looks like power steering is the last of your worries!!! There's more rust on your front cross member than my entire race car had, and I felt it necessary to sandblast the entire chassis.

I'm having a hard time visualizing what the steering shaft angle will be, as mine is an 88 and the cross member is significantly different. I can't offer much help, but good luck, it looks like you've got a handful. Since you've already modified the cross member, don't be afraid to weld the necessary brackets onto it if that's what will work the best. Once you have your brackets made, somebody can weld that in a matter of minutes, probably only charge you a few bucks.

Rickady88GT, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the 88. Your S* swap is one of my favorite documented swaps yet, and your mod execution is pretty top notch.

Bryce
88 GT

bushroot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2003 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bushrootSend a Private Message to bushrootDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nashco:

Dude, if that's the rack off of your car, it looks like power steering is the last of your worries!!! There's more rust on your front cross member than my entire race car had, and I felt it necessary to sandblast the entire chassis.

You're lucky then. I've seen much worse. I was going to say "welcome to Michigan", but from your location I see you already know how much salt they put on the roads.

Dewie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2003 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DewieClick Here to visit Dewie's HomePageSend a Private Message to DewieDirect Link to This Post
Thats not bad at all - you guys should see the cross member on my 85

Notice the rear frame rails too

------------------

http://dewie.no-ip.com

[This message has been edited by Dewie (edited 11-30-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Dewie (edited 11-30-2003).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2003 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Nashco, But you should see the sad shape of my extra 88 front suspension, at least it did not cost much, only $50. Just look at all that dust LOL It must suck to live where your car dies of "Car Cancer" Rust. Out here its hard to find rusted out cars. This is what I will put the power steering rack on but it wont be modified. I plan to do all the mods to the rack.
I got a Chevette power rack first but did not think it was the right one for me.
PFF
System Bot
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2003 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

Thanks Nashco, But you should see the sad shape of my extra 88 front suspension, at least it did not cost much, only $50. Just look at all that dust LOL It must suck to live where your car dies of "Car Cancer" Rust. Out here its hard to find rusted out cars.

Haha...look at aaaallllll that dust! I know what you mean about the rust, I'm originally from the Seattle area where cars will mold ruin the interior before a spec of rust would appear! I hate rust, and Michigan DOT seems to love it...I guess they know they'll be building more cars if they keep pouring salt on the roads. Out west they don't even use salt..they plow the roads, use sand if necessary, and use a liquid non-corrosive agent on the highways. Nobody in Michigan believes me when I tell them there's just as much snow in Idaho where my parents live, but they don't use any salt on the roads. Seriously, you'd think I was trying to sell them snake oil if you saw their reactions!

I've got mixed reactions on modifying the rack vs. the cross member. In the case of modifying the cross member, you have an extra cross member if anything goes wrong and then if the rack ever needs replaced it's a pretty simple swap. However, in the case of modifying the rack, you'll always be able to return back to the normal Fiero parts in the event you're unsatisfied with the power steering or you change your priorities. I used to be of the mindset that I would modify the rack, but as I gain more confidence and experience, I am more willing to make "permanent" changes because I don't fear screwing up so much.

Bryce
88 GT

1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2003 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
No worries, the rust buildup isn't serious actually, the picture brings it out worse then it really is. Its just some surface scale that will be sandblasted when I'm done modifying the rack. This fiero is actually the only Michigan fiero I've seen with 157k miles on it and not completely rotted out. Most of the frame is still solid other than a few areas in the back, and on the edges where the metal pieces are stamped together below the door. The frame rails are still there compltely, and this car has been in michigan its entire life. The front of the frame is pretty good too. I had problems pulling the bolts on the original rack though, all 4 of them broke off from the rust, and 2 bolts broke off into the frame from taking off the front suspension. I think I'll use stainless steel bolts for different parts of the suspension so this doesn't happen again. The steering input shaft is angled upwards about 3 or so inches than factory but shouldn't be too hard to make work still. Might have to make the steering shaft hole bigger. Is stainless steel good for using it on the major suspension bolts, or is it a no-no?
L44_87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
User Banned

Report this Post11-30-2003 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L44_87GTSend a Private Message to L44_87GTDirect Link to This Post
Sounds and looks like a tak-togeather job.Whatever floats your boat if you trust your assembly to hold up on the highway then go for it.
1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2003 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Oh I'm not going to trust it till its reinforced, but it'll be done when I have more time and work on it. I'll make sure everything is tight and aligned properly first, and the tie rod ends will have to be done right. Once my car is done and I can drive the car with the rack, I'll drive it around my neighborhood a few times to make sure it doesn't break or something. Now when I put the small block into my fiero, is there enough room to fit a power steering pump with the sbc? I really don't wanna have to wire up an eletric controller as the MR2's is ecm controlled, and I'm unsure if there are other electronic pumpsout there that could work. Itsure would be easier though. Could archie's a/c spot on his kit be made to fit a pump?
GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2003 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
I got a one owner 84 from a guy in NC and it has 0 rust. I've been over it with a fine tooth comb. We don't usually have much of a rust problem, but this one doesn't even have any surface rust!!!! Lucky me.....about time....lol.

Hey.....it looks like this rack is gonna work. What kind of pump are you gonna use? Electric up front or engine driven rear?

Phil

------------------
87 FIERO GT 2.8 5spd
0-60 in 6.8 seconds!
If you found my advice helpful, please take the time to give me a positive rating. Thanks

[This message has been edited by GTDude (edited 12-01-2003).]

1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2003 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Not sure, I need to figure out if i can fit a mechanical pump on a sbc in the back.
FinoGT3800

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoGT3800Send a Private Message to FinoGT3800Direct Link to This Post
bump
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
that rack didnt look very rusted.

here is the pictures of a 87 t-top GT i picked up that came from cleveland ohio.

1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
ewww. No work done lately on the rack, been working on my custom idiot guage overlays. See signiture.

------------------

For more info on the idiot light overlays please click here:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/036100.html

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2003 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1985FieroGT:

Not sure, I need to figure out if i can fit a mechanical pump on a sbc in the back.

You may be able to squeeze the small pump from a Toyota in there. They use a remote tank and are popular with the circle track crowd.

Roy

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock