where's my fuel filter?? by SpeedRacer88
Started on: 11-28-2003 11:23 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: SpeedRacer88 on 11-29-2003 11:21 AM
SpeedRacer88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2003 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedRacer88Send a Private Message to SpeedRacer88Direct Link to This Post
my car still won't start, alternator, starter, battery, are all good, just not getting fuel. I went to change my fuel filter, (2.5, 1988) and to my dismay it wasn't in the engine bay.... It doesn't say anything in my hanes manual about them changing the position at all, help me please.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2003 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
It's down on the lower edge of the front fire wall near the area of the cat. Jack up the car and crawl under(jack stands of course)and there you will find othe object of your quest.
DustoneGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2003 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DustoneGTSend a Private Message to DustoneGTDirect Link to This Post
Turn the key to on position and listen for the buzzing sound coming from the console between the seats. If you don't hear a buzzing sound your fuel pump isn't running.

That's another thing you might want to check on before changing the fuel filter.

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2003 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
It's either down by the cat,near the passenger seat or on the upper left portion of the engine.Looks like a big stainless steel soda can.But I dought it's that.It might be your fuel pump relay or your fuel pump.Do you hear a Buzz for a few seconds when you turn the key?Your either not getting spark or not getting fuel.You might try spraying a little fuel into the intake to see if it fires over,this will tell you if the problem is fuel related.If it's not fuel related pull the codes and see what it says.From there it could be the ignition modual or coil pack.Possiby rust inside the distributor or the wireing harness to the right of the battery,below the harness were the wires attach rust can form.
camon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2003 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for camonSend a Private Message to camonDirect Link to This Post
Question!

Do you hear the fuel pump run when the ignition is first turned to the on position without starting the car (it will sound like a buzzing that lasts approx. 2 secs when you hit the key)?

The reason I ask this is because it maybe the fuel pump or fuel pump relay. If you don't hear the buzz then I would start by checking the fuel pump fuse, then I would move onto the fuel pump relay these 2 things are by far the easier things to replace). If still no start then I would replace the fuel pump which is located in the gas tank. The problem with this replacement is the tank needs to be dropped and can be a pain (especially depending on the amount of fuel in the tank).

Just giving you other idea's to your problem if the fuel filter is not the cause!

Good luck!

edited in.....I see Dust. and James beat me too it!

[This message has been edited by camon (edited 11-28-2003).]

SpeedRacer88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2003 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedRacer88Send a Private Message to SpeedRacer88Direct Link to This Post
The fuel pump does seem to kick on when I turn on the ignition, but for the past 2 day's it has been blowing about 40 miles an hour, so it's hard to hear things. I did change the relay, and I'm in the process of putting the new fuel filter in, by the way is much more of a pain than it was in my 84. So we will see if she want's to start this morning

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock