Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  removed fierostore power pulley, my car has a perfect charging system once again!!!!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

removed fierostore power pulley, my car has a perfect charging system once again!!!! by m0sh_man
Started on: 11-27-2003 03:12 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: jonnyfilmboy on 11-29-2003 02:41 PM
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2003 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
well up until today i had been having trouble with my batterys, alternators and everything electrical related in my 87GT 3.4L so i decided to put the stock pulley back on after 5000 miles with the smaller pulley. my battery stays charged at 15.3 volts while the car is running and at 12.8 volts when its shut off. the throttle response is much better, and fuel economy went up 3 MPG in the 100 Miles i drove it.

with the power pulley installed my voltage would run about 11.8 volts off and 13.4 volts running if i turned the heater on high with the headlights on, the volts would drop to about 10 volts. now it stays above 13 volts, Im much happier now!

my large aftermarket stereo system now sounds great too!!!

anyone wanna buy a powerpulley

matthew

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MiZer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 211
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2003 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MiZerSend a Private Message to MiZerDirect Link to This Post
with brutal honesty like that.. id think not.. =p

------------------

Mastermind

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 207
User Banned

Report this Post11-27-2003 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MastermindSend a Private Message to MastermindDirect Link to This Post

What was the power pulley suppose to do?
Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2003 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Is that the power pulley they sell for the 2.8l? I wasn't aware that it fit the 3.4 as well. Anyway, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. PM and lets talk.
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2003 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mastermind:
What was the power pulley suppose to do?

Robbing power!
With the smaller pully the alternator turns slower so there is more HP available at the cranck. But it seams the alternator turns too slow to deliver enough current. I heard several bad stories about this setup...

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2003 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
just have to be sure your cars charging system is up to par and not, then you can run it.

I ran mine on a 2.8 then my 3.4 for I believe a total of 3 years? no probs on the 2.8 no probs on the 3.4

[This message has been edited by LoW_KeY (edited 11-27-2003).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2003 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
There are several factors that determine if you will have problems with this or not... Some people get aways with them, other don't.

It's covered in Watt Story in my cave.

------------------
Be alert. The world needs more lerts...

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2003 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
We found the same thing when I changed the diameter of the alternator pully to get more belt surface area contact. Larger pully on the alt without changing the harmonic balancer. I believe this is what killed our first alt, but I am still running it.

------------------

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2003 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Yes, a larger alternator pulley by itself is the same effect as a smaller crank pulley.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post11-28-2003 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
The thing with running "power" pulley arrangements is that the power only becomes useable at wide open throttle, or maximum power output for any given RPM. What does that mean in the real world? Well, if you think about it the only time that becomes a factor is on a dyno or a race track environment. On all public roads if you run a motor at full power output for more than 30 seconds or so one of a few things will have happened. You will have crashed the car, you will have blown the motor up, or you will have been arrested.

So for daily driving use a power pulley is pretty meaningless, and moreso when it starts killing batteries and alternators. I'd be more than happy to sacrifice a horsepower or two at WOT in order to have a reliable daily driver.

JazzMan

connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2003 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
I have had absolutely no problems since I installed mine 1 year ago. I reall think it depends on your electrical system. It isn't the pulley's fault alone. I mean why does mine work fine? And BTW the car seemed to have better throttle response when I installed mine. Spins up faster.
PFF
System Bot
Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2003 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Conneticut, i never had trouble with mine either. These cars are not new and even though your gauge may look like it's charging fine it might actually be getting weaker. If you put the power pulley on and it causes problems it's a good possibility that your system is weak in one way or another. The alternator was designed to provide power for all the Fieros accessories easily and the pulley is designed to be small enough to gain more power without effecting this capability to charge and cool the car. This means that when you add something that draws a significant ammount of extra power that you'll probably have a need for as much juice as you can get. So in Mosh's case, he might not have an electrical problem but the stereo and pulley just wont play well together in other words.
The pulley helps reduce the parasidic loss from your accessories on the engine. It does in fact benefit the engine at all rpms and not just WOT or top end. Basically, there's less drag on the engine at all times.

------------------

Activities Director N.I.F.E.

Larry Nakamura

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2003 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry NakamuraSend a Private Message to Larry NakamuraDirect Link to This Post
I have the power pulley to put on my 3.4L,
but have not yet. So I'm very curious about
this thread.

One point was made, but hasn't been asked
about yet. He said he has a large aftermarket
stereo. Just how large. What power are you
running for your stereo??? Maybe it's a
monster set up and is part of the problem he
had. Did you try disconnecting the stereo
and see if the problem persists? Were you
measuring the voltage with the battery gauge
or a multi-meter (DVM).

ceo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2003 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ceoClick Here to visit ceo's HomePageSend a Private Message to ceoDirect Link to This Post
can the pulley on the altenator be swap'd out with a smaller pully "to adjust for the differance of the underdrive/power pully" that you are using?

would that work?

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2003 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
I got the Fiero Store power pulley, and had a weak alternator. At a stop light at night, my lights would dim ALOT. my dash lights were almost off. wipers barely made it across the windshield. blinkers barely blinked. The alternator finally died, and I replaced it with the CS alternator. world of difference. everything works great. blinkers blink, wipers wipe, lights light. I even have a better idle now, went from a 900 rpm that hunted up to 1100 rpm, to a rock solid 750-800 rpm idle. The power pulley makes a bad alternator seem 10 times worse. but with the new CS alternator, you'd never know the difference.
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2003 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
i disconnected my stereo and it didnt make much of a difference.

ive got a sony mobile ES 5046 amp, pulls 60 amps of current at max draw. im already running a CS alternator. and i put a smaller pulley on it so it turns faster. Id like to get a larger output alternator.

my current battery is about 6 months old, and my alternator is less than a year old. im starting to think the problem lays in the wiring of this car.

matthew

jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2003 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Direct Link to This Post
most all high output alts run a smaller pulley. contact Powermaster http://www.powermastermotorsports.com contact coy hudnell and ask for a smaller pulley for your alt, then put you power pulley back on. it should leave your alt running @ same as factory rotation but will leave everything else running slower. Last alt pulley I bought was around $10-15.

[This message has been edited by jb1 (edited 11-28-2003).]

FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2003 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyDirect Link to This Post
has anyone put a horsepower number to the power pully gains? i can't imagine it being noticable
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2003 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Direct Link to This Post
I dont see it being very noticable. How true it is or not I was told on an average 65-80 amp alt it only took 1 hp to turn.
I have competed in DB DRAG racing (car stereo comp) for several years and ran 350 amp alts with 20+ batts when the batts go dead the alts will actually lock the motor down and will not allow it to turn over. But slowing down alt and water pump i dont see how it could be a big differance.
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2003 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Are you still looking to get rid of that pulley m0sh_man? Despite the possibility of problems listed here, I'm still interested. My car charges great, so I'm not too worried.
jonnyfilmboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2003 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jonnyfilmboyClick Here to visit jonnyfilmboy's HomePageSend a Private Message to jonnyfilmboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

The thing with running "power" pulley arrangements is that the power only becomes useable at wide open throttle, or maximum power output for any given RPM. What does that mean in the real world? Well, if you think about it the only time that becomes a factor is on a dyno or a race track environment. On all public roads if you run a motor at full power output for more than 30 seconds or so one of a few things will have happened. You will have crashed the car, you will have blown the motor up, or you will have been arrested.

So for daily driving use a power pulley is pretty meaningless, and moreso when it starts killing batteries and alternators. I'd be more than happy to sacrifice a horsepower or two at WOT in order to have a reliable daily driver.

JazzMan

I think this really depends on how you drive every day. I don't do dyno runs, and I don't race my car on the track. But I do use my cars power every time I drive. I have a power pulley on my 88 GT and I love it. I have had a few problems with it, low charging with the AC on at idle, had to replace an alternator once (under warranty-no charge), but other than that, the throttle response is much better, I have more power throughout the whole rev range, and I have loved it. I've had mine on for more than three years. Highly recommend it for a 2.8.

------------------
Black '88 GT - Beautiful, fast, and unencumbered by reliable engineering.
http://fiero.lightstormimages.com

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock