Need Fiero-savy muffler shop -or- map to nearest sinkhole by JT6666
Started on: 11-27-2003 03:57 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: timboski on 12-03-2003 10:08 PM
JT6666

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2003 03:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JT6666Send a Private Message to JT6666Direct Link to This Post
85 V6
Failed Maryland State inspection-
twice.
Exhaust leaks - one inspector said do-nut, another said muffler & tailpipe.
Want to get it right on the first try.
Anyone recommended in the Washington DC Metro area?
Thanks,
-JT
Also- Thought I'd saturate all bolts w/liquid wrench before sending it out- Good idea or waste of time?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lemonicegt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2003 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lemonicegtSend a Private Message to lemonicegtDirect Link to This Post
Good luck gettin any of those off. We broke one off and had to grind it down and use an exhaust clamp to fix it but luckily we dont have emissions in West Va haha. Those bolts are probably pretty well stuck on there....although my dad said he saw a guy use some stuff at autozone that actually sucked right down into any and every openening in the bolt when he took one of our calipers in and he said it broke loose with no problems at all......you may want to head there and ask what they recommend
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2003 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
ive had good luck with pb blaster, let it soak for a couple of days, the vibration and heating/cooling of running the car will help too. after you get them off, make sure to use some some anti-seize on the new bolts.
Monster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2003 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonsterSend a Private Message to MonsterDirect Link to This Post
JT - Nice to hear of another local owner. I don't know of a local exhaust shop that I can suggest offhand but I'll check with a buddy who should be able to suggest one.
Stay away from those sinkholes in Frederick!

Where about in Montgomery County are you?

If you were doing it yourself, I'd say soak-em good. If you'll be starting or driving it, I'd say hold off & let the shop fight the battle - It may be a bolt breaker of a job anyway depending on the rust.

I'll let you know what I find as soon as I can.

Jay

timboski

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2003 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timboskiSend a Private Message to timboskiDirect Link to This Post
I am also in MD ,Glen burnie area.I have an 85 se just failed state inspection because both exhaust manifolds were leaking.i fixed the easiest one already but am having trouble getting to the other in the back.Any suggestions before I end up breaking the bolts and having to pull the engine??Th e shop wanted alot of $$$$ to fix them.Tim
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2003 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lurker:

ive had good luck with pb blaster, let it soak for a couple of days, the vibration and heating/cooling of running the car will help too. after you get them off, make sure to use some some anti-seize on the new bolts.

SS STUDS donot put bolts even new bolts back in

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

DustoneGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2003 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DustoneGTSend a Private Message to DustoneGTDirect Link to This Post
Whatever you do make sure the shop you go to has a competent welder in house.

You might want them to put new exhaust pipe from the cat to the muffler and from the muffler to the tips to prevent leaks not being fixed. A new cat and muffler while having this done is not a bad idea.

I would get new aftermarket tips while doing all this for cosmetics, but that's up to you.

JT6666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2003 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JT6666Send a Private Message to JT6666Direct Link to This Post
Monster- I've PM'ed You.

TimBo- What Kinda money was the garage talking? My Priority is more about Durability than Performance or Price- Don't want to go Midas or Meineke.
Even considering the Fiero-savy Mechanic from Allentown who put up a Post here.
If You're going to do the job yourself, maybe we can co-ordinate something (umm- you good with tools?)

Later
-JT

timboski

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2003 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timboskiSend a Private Message to timboskiDirect Link to This Post
JT,
The price they quoted me was for 2 brake rotors,fix drivers mirror,fix dash lights,missing mount bolt and both exhaust manifolds leaking.They told me 1000.00 labor.Because of the difficulty of the rear manifold.
I have repaired everything myself except for that manifold for under 200.00. I had a friend help me with the front manifold( closest to the rear of car)$ bolts came out easy 2 other were already broke off,so we had to drill them out and only after heating them up we finally were able to get them out.and replaced with all new bolts and gasket.,But are having trouble with the other which we cannot get off the head of the bolt is stripping and I do not want to break the bolt,but this is all that is holding my inspection up now.So I trying to get the inspection station to help me out and cut me some kinda of break ,cause it is not leaking that bad.keep me posted about your Fiero.Tim.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock