Started on: 11-26-2003 06:50 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: theogre on 11-29-2003 03:33 PM
Rainman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
The lower slider pin on the front driver side caliper was FROZEN on my Formula. It took me ~3 hours of pressing it out with a large c-clamp, penetrating oil and a hammer to finally get it out of its bore.

The frozen slider caused my outer brake pad to wear unevenly, and even to score the rotor on that side. Just a warning to watch for, and to keep those sliders well taken care of.

Also a good time to loc-tite those caliper mounting bolts into place too. They tend to back out when not locked into place.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
88GTNeverfinished

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTNeverfinishedSend a Private Message to 88GTNeverfinishedDirect Link to This Post
Good reminder, old news.

88 calipers sliders are notorious for seizing and when they do your braking goes to hell. The infamous 88 creaking brakes are a dead give away that they aren't sliding how they should. If the sliders are moving freely, 88 brakes don't creak or groan

Remove and relube with sil-glyde twice a year or you're asking for trouble.

[This message has been edited by 88GTNeverfinished (edited 11-26-2003).]

Larry Nakamura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry NakamuraSend a Private Message to Larry NakamuraDirect Link to This Post
I do my own brake jobs and every other time
I do the brake pads, I also pull the calipers
off and rebuild them (new seals). So I
pull them off every 2-3 years. No problems
ever with the bolts. Yes I also use lock
tight on the bolts when I reinstall them.
neverendingproject

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neverendingprojectSend a Private Message to neverendingprojectDirect Link to This Post
Are there any tricks to reinstalling the sliders? It took me a while to get the little seals seated, there must be an easy way.

------------------
Alan Frazier
'86 GT-'92 3.4 TDC
'84 2m4 daily driver
'88 Silver coupe, auto For Sale

88GTNeverfinished

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTNeverfinishedSend a Private Message to 88GTNeverfinishedDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by neverendingproject:

Are there any tricks to reinstalling the sliders? It took me a while to get the little seals seated, there must be an easy way.

I can do it in less than 5 minutes each caliper, but it is tough to explain.

Here goes best I can:

Always work from the rear of the caliper out.

Take the inner boot, stretch it over the end of the slider with the bigger hole for the bolt head. Slide it down the slider until until the big opening of the boot passes the end of the slider but not so far that the small opening falls into the groove on the end of the slider. Now postition the slider on the back of the caliper and carefully work the big end of the boot into the caliper. Now push the slider in with a slight twisting motion. It will seat the inner boot fully as is goes in. Once it is past the the inner boot and the big end of the inner boot is seated in the caliper housing you can allow the smaller opening to pop into the groove on the inner end of the slider. Inner side done. Now seat the bigger opening of the outer boot into the caliper. Keep pushing the slider through until it gets past the outer boot seat and holds the outer boot in place. Now push it slightly past the outer side of the caliper to enable you to get the smaller opening of the outer boot seated in the ridge of the slider and push back into postition.

Hard to describe, probably hard to follow those intructions. Read carefully. Once you do it on one, the rest is pie.

Rainman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2003 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
A quick response. I was getting no brake squeaking/creaking even with the seized slider pin. I overhauled the entire brake system ~2 years ago(all new everything), and hadn't touched it until this week. So I'm guessing every 6-12 months its a good idea to dig in there and touch up those sliders.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2003 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
The 88 slide is a tighter fit than the older ones but they all can have the same problem.

The entire bore and slide of all brakes that use slides should be greased with brake grease. The grease is as much to keep water out as lubricate.

------------------
Be alert. The world needs more lerts...

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock