Started on: 11-26-2003 05:21 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: linenoise on 11-27-2003 02:51 PM
linenoise

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post
Ha dthe Gt out on the highway today, and when ever I got above 75MPH the steering wheel would really shake and the steering felt floaty.

I took a video of the steering while it was doing it. which can be viewed here http://www.ghettosled.com/steering/DSCN0921.MOV
What should I be checking/fixing?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
oh great, your steering is all over the road, and your taking video? Deathwish?

Did this happen all of a sudden, or has it always been that way? what shape are the tires? Shocks? Ball joints?

Could be a lot of things. Mine does the same thing. But I know I need shocks, struts, lower ball joints, Tires, and and allignment. I need brakes on the front too. but thats not why mine wanders. I got myself a busy Thanksgiving weekend.

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com Support Mental Health, or I'll Kill Ya!!
Yellow Formula Signature

• 88 Yellow FORMULA-undergoing a ZZ3 350 with Accel 1000CFM Street Ram TPI and Gen VI DFI=345HP/390TQ
  • I Keep them in seperate garages and never take the bra off of one.
  • Black 88 formula-stock black and tan.
  • My Shower Cam

[This message has been edited by KissMySSFiero (edited 11-26-2003).]

linenoise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero:

oh great, your steering is all over the road, and your taking video? Deathwish?

Did this happen all of a sudden, or has it always been that way? what shape are the tires? Shocks? Ball joints?

Could be a lot of things. Mine does the same thing. But I know I need shocks, struts, lower ball joints, Tires, and and allignment. I need brakes on the front too. but thats not why mine wanders. I got myself a busy Thanksgiving weekend.

1st time I have had it above 75 since buyingit, Tires are good, and I had just had the pressure checked (oil change and such), It drives in a straight line with hands off the wheel even thought it jumps around. Shocks/struts seem good.

buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
does it pull to one side, if so i would suspect a slipped belt.
linenoise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

does it pull to one side, if so i would suspect a slipped belt.

already stated it drives in a straight line.

Whuffo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhuffoClick Here to visit Whuffo's HomePageSend a Private Message to WhuffoDirect Link to This Post
How's your alignment? Suspension parts tight and right?
Jdlog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JdlogSend a Private Message to JdlogDirect Link to This Post
I know...I know...I know! See the temp guage?
Your car is running too cold!!!!

Seriously now, 4 wheel alignment, front tire inflation, worn dogbone (I was told), steering stabilizer (if applicable) and last but not least, worn cradle mounts.

Mine did it bad until I inflated all tires evenly. Oh, did the alignment and it may have helped because the effect of under-inflation in one of the front tires causes less of the problem than it did before. Now it is mild if it shows up. Next, dogbone. Last, cradle.

Ain't this car fun!

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
could be rotted rubber suspension, mine did the same thing as yours then I replaced it with poly. Could be a number of things mentioned above though.. good luck

------------------
88 5spd Modified 3800 Series II SC Formula
Modifications/2004 - Intercooler 2.8 pulley, 1 inch drop, interior

linenoise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jdlog:

I know...I know...I know! See the temp guage?
Your car is running too cold!!!!

Seriously now, 4 wheel alignment, front tire inflation, worn dogbone (I was told), steering stabilizer (if applicable) and last but not least, worn cradle mounts.

Mine did it bad until I inflated all tires evenly. Oh, did the alignment and it may have helped because the effect of under-inflation in one of the front tires causes less of the problem than it did before. Now it is mild if it shows up. Next, dogbone. Last, cradle.

Ain't this car fun!

Lol That normal operating temp for my car, only seen it higher than that once, after 2 hours of Stop and go cruising.

I figure it's bushing being rotten.

Firefighter1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Firefighter1Send a Private Message to Firefighter1Direct Link to This Post
I have an '87 GT and had what I believe is an identical problem. Solution, if yours is not an '88. Replace the front steering stabilizer with a new Monroe SC 2943. In fact, get two. Buy the stabilizer doubler kit from Rodney Dickman and install. A very easy job. Then get a 30 lb. weight from a weight set and bolt it to the underside of the donut spare. It then takes up NO room. Do not just set it under the donut spare because it will jam in place as you try to get the spare out. I have done all of the above with remarkable results. My GT is rock solid up thru 110 mph. I'm afraid to go any faster.

------------------

linenoise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Firefighter1:

I have an '87 GT and had what I believe is an identical problem. Solution, if yours is not an '88. Replace the front steering stabilizer with a new Monroe SC 2943. In fact, get two. Buy the stabilizer doubler kit from Rodney Dickman and install. A very easy job. Then get a 30 lb. weight from a weight set and bolt it to the underside of the donut spare. It then takes up NO room. Do not just set it under the donut spare because it will jam in place as you try to get the spare out. I have done all of the above with remarkable results. My GT is rock solid up thru 110 mph. I'm afraid to go any faster.

88 here

PFF
System Bot
Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2003 02:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Mine is due to loose tie rod ends (just getting old), old steering stabilizer, and until recently, unbalanced tires. If its been a while or never been done, get your tires balanced. Any tire shop can do it. Cost me $20 and made a world of difference.
TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2003 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
do v6's run that high on the tach at 75 on purpose? mine does it too and i didnt know if it was because something was wrong. dont mean to hijack

------------------
'86 Fiero GT

www.KylesFiero.tk

linenoise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2003 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TaurusThug:

do v6's run that high on the tach at 75 on purpose? mine does it too and i didnt know if it was because something was wrong. dont mean to hijack

Well I have the Three speed auto (don't know the ratio) wo thats why it's so high

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock