Not a Fiero, but you guys can help! by MickeyAsh
Started on: 11-24-2003 01:45 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Jim Porter on 11-26-2003 01:28 AM
MickeyAsh

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2003 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MickeyAshSend a Private Message to MickeyAshDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys! On a side note, I drove the my 86 GT with the '97 3800SII SC about a week ago for the first time... very pleased, it still has a few bugs to work out. But for now there's a larger problem at hand. While the swap is going on I'm driving an '88 Chevy Blazer S-10 to and from work (it's a 2.8l V6, hence the relevance to you guys =) ). Went out to crank it today and she rolled over about twice under the starter's power, then "click!"... the lights dimmed and the starter stopped turning. So I let go of the key and turned it to 'start' again, and this time I got chattering from the starter and dimmed lights. And finally I tried it again, key to off, key to start and this time only the solenoid clicked, no chattering, no engine rotation. Went under the car and tapped the starter a few times, tried starting again to no avail. What's my course of action? Thanks guys.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2003 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post
Does it start with a jump?

Mostly likely is a dead/drained battery.

naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2003 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post
If you can jump it, let it run for a while, see if it'll charge up the battery. If it dies after you remove the jumper cables, or if you remove the cables and it runs for a while and then dies, it could be an alternator problem, your alt. may not be charging the battery. How many miles on the battery and on the alt (and the starter)?

[EDIT]
If it does die after removal of the cables, it isn't necessarily an alt problem, it could be that the battery won't charge, as well.
[/EDIT]
------------------
Nick www.naskie18.com AIM: Naskie182010

[This message has been edited by naskie18 (edited 11-24-2003).]

azfieroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2003 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for azfieromanClick Here to visit azfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to azfieromanDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a Battery or Allternator problem to me, I had this same problem in my FORMULA. Lucky for you, they are both more accesable in a blazer than in a Fiero to replace
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2003 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
As azfieroman says dead battery or alternator.First check to see if the alternator belt is still there,then clean the battery cables to make sure you are getting good contact.Call you local auto parts store and see if they can test your alternator.Most likely it's the battery though, because they don't last very long compared to an alternator.
Trais

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2003 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TraisSend a Private Message to TraisDirect Link to This Post
i work at auto zone we test alternators and batteries for free. jump it and swing bye one
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2003 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
10 to 1, all you have are dirty connections on your battery if it starts with a jump. Don't assume they'er good cuase they look OK. Take the dam things off and clean the connectors and the battery real got with a wire brush.
Jim Porter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim PorterSend a Private Message to Jim PorterDirect Link to This Post
Won't crank over?
I'll go with the most likely first:
If it will jump and start...
Dirty/corroded battery terminals. This is very common. The battery will not charge effectively with dirty/corroded connections. The battery will drain.
Loose battery cables.
Dead Battery. Usually without major warning.
Alternator belt loose. Tighten.
Alternator defective. You can replace the diode packs in a 88 chevy yourself.

If it will not jump start...
Battery cables corroded or broken.
Starter problem.

Not much left to check.

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay