Phantom Wipers. by Pyric
Started on: 11-10-2003 05:06 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: Larry Nakamura on 11-29-2003 02:07 PM
Pyric

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2003 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyricClick Here to Email PyricSend a Private Message to PyricDirect Link to This Post
ok... I know I'm not the only one with this issue... My windsheild wipers turn on all by them selves and I don't want to replace the whole system... so if anyone knows from experiance, it will be appreciated.

is it the wiper circuit board, the switch in the stearing column or a short in the motor?

Thanks.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
twinfieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2003 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twinfierosSend a Private Message to twinfierosDirect Link to This Post
im also having some phantom wiper issues, however i in no way have answers.
i recently put a new steering column in my car and now they wipe as soon as i start the car and that never happened before!
Pyric

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2003 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyricClick Here to Email PyricSend a Private Message to PyricDirect Link to This Post
I looked at the electrical diagrams and those seem to be the only parts in the circuit... but each one is about $70-$90 and I don't want to end up going through all 3. If it was the column... yours is probably a short in the switch....
GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2003 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeClick Here to Email GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
25 yrs experience says its the circuit board.......of course 35 years experience says it could be sometyhing else......LOL

Just kidding.......should be the circuit board

Phil

------------------
87 FIERO GT 2.8 5spd
0-60 in 6.8 seconds!
If you found my advice helpful, please take the time to give me a positive rating. Thanks

Mark

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2003 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkClick Here to Email MarkDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have a link to the windshield wiper motor circuit? Haynes doesn't seem to have it.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post11-10-2003 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManClick Here to Email JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
If it wipes on bumps, turn signal applications, or whacking the steering wheel, then most likely it's a bad switch in the column. At least, that was the case with mine.

JazzMan

chameleogaz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2003 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chameleogazClick Here to Email chameleogazSend a Private Message to chameleogazDirect Link to This Post
Do they turn on when you use your turn signals? Mine did that, I replaced the multifuntion stock hoping that would cure it, but it the wipers still wiped when I used my turn signals. I recently replaced the expensive (over $100) windshield wiper switch inside the steering collumn. The windshield wipers now only wipe when I want them to, no more ghost wipers!

-Jeff

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
There is some info at Oliver's site

http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/wiper.html

Mark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkClick Here to Email MarkSend a Private Message to MarkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

There is some info at Oliver's site

http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/wiper.html

Thanks!

Olorin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OlorinClick Here to Email OlorinSend a Private Message to OlorinDirect Link to This Post
Mine does the same, it turns on when I turn my key to the on position. Don't mind, it only does 1 wipe.

------------------
Olorin Alpha: XP 1800+ Palamino @ 1.53GHz, soon to update to T-Bred 2
256MB PC2700 DDR RAM
ATI All in Wonder Radeon 7500
OS's: Dualbooting Windows 2000 Professional SP4 and Linux Slackware 9.1!

Olorin Beta: 1986 Pontiac Fiero
4 cyl 2.5L Stock
5 Speed Manual Transmission
Quarter Mile: ??
Top Speed: ??

texasfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroClick Here to Email texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroDirect Link to This Post
Here's another site. Look for "Ghost Wipers".
http://chuck.kichline.com/fiero/fiero.htm
PFF
System Bot
Graudefas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2003 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GraudefasSend a Private Message to GraudefasDirect Link to This Post
Had the same problem on my '85. It turned out to be the "park" switch, in the wiper motor proper, was pitted and oxidized. Took a point file to it, cleaned it up and no more problems.

The hardest part was getting the motor apart (drove the rivets through) to get to the switch.

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 308
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2003 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Whew! All these instructions are a lot of work when all you have to do is change the circuit board on the wiper motor that is located under the hood. Good call, GTDude!
weldon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2003 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weldonClick Here to visit weldon's HomePageClick Here to Email weldonSend a Private Message to weldonDirect Link to This Post
Were is a good place to buy a circut board?
spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Found the source of “phantom” wiper operation on my 88 Fiero. Knew it was the circuit board causing the problem but was curious about which component was faulty. Turned out to be a large diode labeled “CR1". The diode was conducting in the reverse direction causing the timing capacitor (C2) to slowly charge enough to trigger one operation of the wiper every ten minutes or so.

Like everyone else I couldn’t find a drawing of the wiper circuit so I cut and pasted one together as shown here:
http://members.cox.net/2dry4u/fiero/wipers/delaywiper.html

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 05-05-2004).]

spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2003 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Here’s a schematic of a 1988 Fiero wiper control board associated with the wiring diagram posted earlier. The board assembly number is 22062693, revision “1" so it may only be found on the 88's or maybe only on some of the 88's. I think GM redesigned the control board many times during the eleven years it was used (1984-1994). Another board I have, (from a 1993 Sonoma) assembly number 22093948, revision “B” is designed differently. But, the boards are interchangeable.
http://members.cox.net/2dry4u/fiero/wipers/cktbdschm.html

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 05-05-2004).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2003 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I replaced the wiper switch and the module under the hood using parts off eBay for less than $30. I see the delay motors, (which include the circuit) there all the time for $10. The wiper switch couldn't have been more than $20.
spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2003 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Be careful of used wiper switches from anything other than a Fiero. Many cars use the same wiper motor and control board but the wiring harnesses are different and the switch functions come out on different pins.

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 11-29-2003).]

Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2003 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageClick Here to Email ElectrathonSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
S10 parts are a direct fit, easy to come by too. The only differance is that the wires to the switch are a couple inches longer. Motor and delay board are identical.
Larry Nakamura

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2003 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry NakamuraClick Here to Email Larry NakamuraSend a Private Message to Larry NakamuraDirect Link to This Post
I had this happen once, my wipers would come
on when I turned the car over.

I had to wash out the inside of the front
compartment and got the large connector next
to the heater blower motor housing and the
brake housing, wet. The one on the fire wall,
right above the A/C orifice valve. I tried
to dry it out with a hair drier, but
couldn't get it to work. I just had to wait
a few days for it to dry out. So I
disconnected the motor for those few days.

The point is that you may try to play with
that connector a bit a see if there is a
short/resistive connection being made to
another wire. There is a screw that holds it
together and has about 40 wires it connects.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock