Engine will not run - HELP!!!!! by johnmac
Started on: 10-30-2003 01:59 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Weponhead on 11-29-2003 12:43 PM
johnmac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnmacSend a Private Message to johnmacDirect Link to This Post
Several weeks ago my V6 Engine on my runner, a 85 GT stopped running about a block away from home.

Decided to do a good upgrade job.

Replaced distributor, timing chain, sprockets, water pump, fuel filter, alternator, plugs and wires.

Also changed out the ignition module (which came with the new distributer.

Placed the new distributer pointer on the mark - engine turns over but will not start.

I rotated the distributer counter clockwise and then she starts and quits seconds later. I assume somehow she missed her mark so I relocated the distributer 1 cam spoke.

Nothing - will not start.

I AM FRUSTRATED!

WHAT ELSE CAN I REPLACE OR DO? HELP!! Anyone have this problem before?

Would a bad coil do this? Or bad fuel injection?

HELP!!!!!

HELP.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
Got fuel delivery?
Good spark?
Try rotating to TDC and double check the distriubtor seting.
johnmac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnmacSend a Private Message to johnmacDirect Link to This Post
How do I check for fuel delivery?

I will recheck the TDC of the distributer. I have a spark.

johnmac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnmacSend a Private Message to johnmacDirect Link to This Post

johnmac

180 posts
Member since Nov 1999

Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnmac:

Several weeks ago my V6 Engine on my runner, a 85 GT stopped running about a block away from home.

Decided to do a good upgrade job.

Replaced distributor, timing chain, sprockets, water pump, fuel filter, alternator, plugs and wires.

Also changed out the ignition module (which came with the new distributer.

Placed the new distributer pointer on the mark - engine turns over but will not start.

I rotated the distributer counter clockwise and then she starts and quits seconds later. I assume somehow she missed her mark so I relocated the distributer 1 cam spoke.

Nothing - will not start.

I AM FRUSTRATED!

WHAT ELSE CAN I REPLACE OR DO? HELP!! Anyone have this problem before?

Would a bad coil do this? Or bad fuel injection?

HELP!!!!!

HELP.

Remove #1 spark plug, rotate engine with socket on harmonic balancer pully bolt, while you have your pinky over the #1 hole. When air comes out you are getting close to TDC, you rotate until timing is at 0 degrees.
Remove distributor cap and rotor should be pointing directly at #1 cylinder. If not then pull dist. and position so it does. Also check wires rotation is clockwise, FO 1-2-3-4-5-6. It should fire......Paul

Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnmac:

Squirt a bit of fuel in the throttle body and try to start it. If it goes you have a fuel problem. After all, it quit for a reason.

If it does take off, you need to measure the fuel pressure. Check it out and post results. At that time, you will be instructed how to check for fuel pressure if you want to invest in the test gauge.

[This message has been edited by Indiana_resto_guy (edited 10-30-2003).]

jmblimo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2003 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmblimoSend a Private Message to jmblimoDirect Link to This Post
How many weeks ago did it quit? From sitting, I know, the injectors will stop working. Took a new set to get my '87 GT running from sitting 6 months. Like you, I tried everything else first.

------------------
Current Fiero Fleet

2 '87 GTs
1 '84 SE

DZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2003 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DZSend a Private Message to DZDirect Link to This Post
On cars this old sometimes the rubber hose inside the gas tank that attaches the fuel pump to the gas pipe can blow out, no gas. I put in a new pump and used the old hose, started the car and it died. Hose had blown out. Took me a while to figure it out. You should be able to push in the schrader valve this is on the top right hand side of the plenum. If gas squirts out you have fuel, if not then the problem is fuel line, filter or pump. The valve has a cap that you take off then push in. This is where you would attach a fuel pressure guage.
johnmac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2003 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnmacSend a Private Message to johnmacDirect Link to This Post
FINALLY FOUND THE PROBLEM.

It was a bad fuel pump. Had to drop the tank but it wasn't that bad of a job.

I put in a delco unit to be sure.

Hint - when I pushed the Schraeder valve ontop the engine, the gas should squirt out at least 12 inches.

Weponhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2003 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WeponheadSend a Private Message to WeponheadDirect Link to This Post
agg i hate that job , ive had my fuel tank out 3 times now.. may have it out again to replace a noisy possibly cheap fuel pump.. you can hear it whining like a banshee inside the tank. Can anyone else CLEARLY hear their fuel pump whining all the time?
jim123185

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2003 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jim123185Send a Private Message to jim123185Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Weponhead:

agg i hate that job , ive had my fuel tank out 3 times now.. may have it out again to replace a noisy possibly cheap fuel pump.. you can hear it whining like a banshee inside the tank. Can anyone else CLEARLY hear their fuel pump whining all the time?

I can!!!! I used to think I was the only person with this problem. It got a whole lot louder when it would suck air because it was low on fuel, and it'd even make the car vibrate. For a long time, I thought it was my brakes till it started making that sound without me braking, and then ran out of gas, even though the fuel gauge wasn't quite on empty.

PFF
System Bot
Weponhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2003 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WeponheadSend a Private Message to WeponheadDirect Link to This Post
Yea. Fiero fuel guages tend to not read true after a while, If you take your tank out and adjust your sending unit properly it should work then.. hehe unless you have done this already. i think the resistance goes from 1.8 - 90 ohms thats from the E mark to the F line , it can go over if you put extra gas in. My fuel pump doesnt shake my car but it is quiter with a full tank of gas.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock