Started on: 10-28-2003 08:28 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Zoom88 on 12-19-2003 09:48 AM
Zoom88

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2003 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post
I am getting ready to install Poly on the front end for the second time.
I noticed there are gaps of about 3/16" on one end between the bushing and the top A-arms both sides of the car the gaps are on the ends that face the driver and passenger. I wouldn't think there would be this much slack. Actually looks like the bushing is not all the way up in the arm but all bolts are tight.
I'm thinking, maybe there is something I am doing wrong or installing incorrectly.

Are there maybe some inner or outer sleeves for the poly that I may have left out ?

Doesn't the ID of the Poly bushing ride on a sleeve that slips over the shaft or is it just Poly riding on the shaft?

How about the OD of the poly bushing is there a metal sleeve that should be here ?

Any spacers used I may have left out the first time?
This is on an 88.

[This message has been edited by Zoom88 (edited 10-28-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
SeattleRedFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2003 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SeattleRedFormulaSend a Private Message to SeattleRedFormulaDirect Link to This Post
We're talking upper A-arms here on an '88, right? The bushing itself should have a metal sleeve (mine was brass-colored steel) lining the hole--the new sleeve comes with the bushing kit. Grease the bushing hole before you push that sleeve in. The A-arm spindle slides into that sleeve. There should be a metal sleeve, about 1.5" in diameter and 2" long already installed on the original A-arm. You'll re-use this old sleeve so leave it there. The bushing slides into that sleeve; You probably should put it in a vise and gently press it in but grease the inside of the sleeve before you press the bushing in. There should also be a large (thrust?) washer against the inner and outer ends of each bushing. The washers keep the A-arm from sliding back & forth on the bushings.

Lower A-arms bushings are slightly different and have that extra "doughnut", which goes on the inside end of each bushing. Also, they have no end-washers. Because of the way the lower A-arms mount to the frame, washers are not necessary. Otherwise, the same general techniques apply as outlined above for the uppers.

If I left something out or got something wrong, hopefully someone else will fill in the blanks and/or supply some pics. I think there are some good write-ups in the archives. Good luck.

Edited for clarity.

[This message has been edited by SeattleRedFormula (edited 10-28-2003).]

Zoom88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2003 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by SeattleRedFormula:

There should be a metal sleeve, about 1.5" in diameter and 2" long already installed on the original A-arm. You'll re-use this old sleeve so leave it there. The bushing slides into that sleeve; You probably should put it in a vise and gently press it in but grease the inside of the sleeve before you press the bushing in.

Edited for clarity.

[This message has been edited by SeattleRedFormula (edited 10-28-2003).]

Hmmm, I don't remember the 1.5" in diameter and 2" long sleeve from my last rebuild, not to say its not there.....is it saved from the old rubber bushing ?
I'm going to start tearing it down tonight
so I'll have some better idea of what I have.

[Edited...because I don't think I can post anything without having to edit it for one reason or another !! Boy , its tough getting old !!]

[This message has been edited by Zoom88 (edited 10-28-2003).]

Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2003 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
Hey Zoom,

can you post pics of your progress, i'm planning on rebuilding my front suspension real soon.

thanks,
toms...

------------------

SeattleRedFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2003 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeattleRedFormulaSend a Private Message to SeattleRedFormulaDirect Link to This Post
Based on my limited firsthand experience, the outer sleeve for the upper bushings appears to be an integral part of the upper A-arm, so you might not notice it as a separate part. That being said, I think I have read of some PFF user removing it and regretting it. In fact it can be removed and when removed it is a separate sleeve. New ones are not included with the bushing kit. My advice...don't remove it, just observe that it is there and work with it. Good luck.
Zoom88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2003 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom Slick:

Hey Zoom,

can you post pics of your progress, i'm planning on rebuilding my front suspension real soon.

thanks,
toms...

I will try Tom,
I have alot going on right now ...I am also trying to finish up some welding on the front end of the car so I can get my front facia and a new radiator in by this weekend. It might be better if you Email me maybe next week and remind me, either I'll post some pics on Pennocks or I will send the info straight to you.

Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2003 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
thanks Zoom...

toms...

Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2003 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
Zoom,
Did you ever get those pics of your poly install?

toms...

Zoom88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2003 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom Slick:

Zoom,
Did you ever get those pics of your poly install?

toms...

Tom, I have Poly all the way around on the car now, when I brought up the questions in this thread it was becuase of problems I was having with the front end and I was going to do a rebuild. I have since resolved the problem by finding an alignment tech who actually knows what he is doing !!
I am however going to switch back to Rubber in the near future on the Front upper and lower control arms (still will have Poly on the rear and both sway bars)
Tom, I will help you out on any questions you may have if you would like just Email me at zoom88@diginostics.com

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock