Started on: 09-19-2003 12:01 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: buddycraigg on 02-10-2004 03:45 AM
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2003 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
I have asked the question before without a response but…
What are the European requirements for a safety inspection?

I am going to assume that it is the brake lights must be on, in red, on both sides when the break pedal is depressed.
The turn signals must be amber, and blink when the turn signal is on.
And the two systems must be independent of each other.

If the turn signals can be red that would make things easier but it can still be done.

Lets attack the turn signals first.
The wiring…

The power runs this route…

Stop lights
fuse box
stop light switch
turn signal switch
rear bulbs

Turn signal
Fuse box
Flasher
Turn signal switch
Rear bulbs

The turn signal switch opens the stop light circuit to whichever side you are turning and closes the turn signal circuit to that side.

For them to have independence from these two circuits you are going to have to cut and splice some wires.

If you want to keep the tail / stoplights lens as they are, and add an amber light where the reflectors are in the bumper. Follow steps 1-5

If you have an 84 model and would like the turn signals on the outer most bulb. 6-17

If you have an 85 and up and would like the turn signals on the outer most bulb. 8-17

If you have an 84 and up and would like the turn signals where the reverse lights are.1, 1a, 18, 19, 20, 3, 4, 5, 12

If you have an 85 and up and would like the turn signals where the reverse lights are.8, 9, 18, 19, 20, 3, 4, 5, 12

No, I didn’t mention the C500 connector. I am trying to keep this as simple as possible. (for me)

1 Cut the stoplight / turn signal power wires to all three lights on each side.

1a (for 84 only) unplug the lower relays on the rear firewall.

2 Add your amber light housing.

3 Run the original stoplight / turn signal power wires from the center bulbs in the car harness to the new lights.

4 Cut the output wire from the brake light switch under the dash and splice in a new wire to run to ALL 3 red brake lights.

5 Verify that the turn signals flash at a good speed, you may have to use a different flasher to get the correct flash speed.

6 (for 84 only) unplug the lower relays on the rear firewall.

7 Cut the stoplight / turn signal power wires to the inner most bulbs.

8 Cut the stoplight / turn signal power wires to the center bulbs

9 Cut the stoplight / turn signal and tail light power wires to the outer most bulbs.

10 Run the original stoplight / turn signal power wires in the car harness to the outer most bulbs.

11 Cut the output wire from the brake light switch under the dash and splice in a new wire to run to the inner most and center bulbs.

12 Verify that the turn signals flash at a good speed, you may have to use a different flasher to get the correct flash speed.

13 remove the tail light housings.

14 CAREFULLY take them apart. The clear lenses are sealed to the base and will crack easily if you get in a hurry. I start at the bottom of the lens, unclip the locks, pry it apart just a tiny bit. The unclip the top and then work my way around SLOWLY.

15 cut out a section of the inner red lens to the outer bulb area.

16 put everything back together with sealer.

17 use an amber colored bulb in the outer most sockets

18 cut the power wire to the reverse light bulb socket.

19 Run the original stoplight / turn signal power wires in the car harness to the socket

20 install an amber bulb.

------------------
Buddy "there are two Gs in my name"
Ling = 84SE 350 N2O Poly MrMike seats Sequentials
Julia C = 85GT stock (mostly)
KCFOG
got a broken stud?
car doesn't crank over?

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 02-11-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofetish

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post09-19-2003 05:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your patience with a novice; I appreciate your help!!
Fierofetish
fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post09-19-2003 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

fierofetish

19173 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Success!! Now working perfectly...thanks Everybody, including specifically buddycraigg, for taking the time to go through it in an idiot-proof fashion!!
Fierofetish
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2003 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
Hurray!

Glad I could help

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2003 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
Hi!
Does anyone have pics of these converted notchback taillights? I'd love to see some converted.
Sammy Williams

------------------
1988 Fiero Formula T-tops
CJB 143 of 1252 "factory T-top cars"

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2003 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
there are some out there in the covert threads, but the pics are down right now. cliff is doing some testing.
Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2003 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
BuddyCraigg! I'd give you a half dozen pluses for this one if I could. Nice completely beyond the call of duty response!

[This message has been edited by Scott-Wa (edited 10-09-2003).]

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2003 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
in my best Elvis voice, "thank you, thank you very much."
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2003 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13588 posts
Member since Jul 2002
and thanks for spelling my name correctly
PK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2003 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

I have asked the question before without a response but…
What are the European requirements for a safety inspection?

I am going to assume that it is the brake lights must be on, in red, on both sides when the break pedal is depressed.
The turn signals must be amber, and blink when the turn signal is on.
And the two systems must be independent of each other.

Eeeek wish I had caught the earlier thread(s) on this! Thats spot on (for the UK at least). Many Fiero's have survived unconverted as lots of testing stations are not too concerned about this set up (as long as the lights work as they were originally intended). The only thing I would add is that converting the reverse lights (as I did) is not ideal in the UK as indicators have to be a certain distance apart and the reverse lenses are under the required distance, again I cannot think of any testing station that would be at all bothered by this as long as the lights function.

Thanks for the detailed info buddycraigg thats a real help.

Cheers
PK

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2004 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
this might help with your GT to notchie convert
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock