Started on: 05-08-2003 02:16 AM
Replies: 242
Last post by: fieroturbo on 04-03-2004 08:31 AM
Patrick's Dad

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2003 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick's DadClick Here to visit Patrick's Dad's HomePageSend a Private Message to Patrick's DadDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKOV:

I can't wait to get a few of these in some of your hands to test out for me.

DKOV -
DMS

I can't wait to bolt it up to the engine! I'd love to be a test mule (I already offered - above), but you'll be done with these well before I've got my engine done....

IP: Logged
FXRseen

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2003 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXRseenSend a Private Message to FXRseenDirect Link to This Post
I wish I could do something like this to the Fiero.
http://www.seqshift.com

I think with enough money anything is posible.

1985FieroGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2003 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
I'll test, I'll either be running a 3800 supercharged, or LS1. (Depends how much money I'll get from my new job)

------------------
PONTIAC FIERO OUTLAW

-JESSE JAMES-

1984 Pontiac Fiero SE
Project Weekend Warrior has started...
(No engine for right now... What will I get next that I hope will be actually *good*?)

Patrick Horne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick HorneSend a Private Message to Patrick HorneDirect Link to This Post
Well, geez, if we're signing up for testers, count me in. Got a N* that's been waiting for this transmission...

------------------
Patrick Horne

OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroDirect Link to This Post
Still interested in this one, heres a bump to put it back to the top.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
I am in it too, can you show some spy pics?
Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 03:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will-Martin:

Um, so you are saying that a Northstar engine will bolt up to this thing as well DKOV? I have been told that the bolt pattern matches the 2.8, 3.4, 3800, etc.. If so, that finalizes my swap decision, they have another customer willing to part with $1800, and you have another set of demographics to pitch to the makers – Cadillac automobile owners who want a high performance stick shift... hehe… if there is such a thing. You may want to contact CHRFab as well and see what they think about all this. They may jump on the bandwagon. Best of luck and keep us informed ~ PLEASE!

--Will

Just bought a Northstar engine today. If you would like a serious test bed - I'll offer as well.

--Will

breakneck88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for breakneck88Send a Private Message to breakneck88Direct Link to This Post
uh uh uh!!! me!!! Pick me Pick me!!!!! I have my archie kit and a fresh 325-350hp sbc on a stand waiting to go in!!!!!!!!! I bought a tranny, but we all know that wont last long. With a little juice ill wheelstand your tranny!!! hows that for a test bed!!! lol. A couple 5000rpm neutural drops ought to be sufficient to consider it "TESTED"!!
DKOV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post
Sorry guys for not posting in a while... been hard at it. I'm sure you'll all forgive me for not posting when you see what I have coming late next week

Ooooo.... I can feel the anticipation!

It's not mine however, the tranny is for testing and verifying and will need to go back, but it IS one step closer to out dream of dreams!

Stay tuned...

Oh, and for those of you that have ben wondering, YES... we have planned to make these available to W-Body owners as well

DKOV -

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
With Spec and QuarterMaster clutches, we've pretty much covered the weak clutch issue. If you come up with a tranny that can hold uber-power, with abuse, then you will have answered a lot of dreams!

SuperBuick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperBuickSend a Private Message to SuperBuickDirect Link to This Post
"Oh, and for those of you that have ben wondering, YES... we have planned to make these available to W-Body owners as well "

As an eager W-Body owner - how will you address the issue of a place to mount the clutch pedal in newer W-Bodies? My 1990 Buick, though never offered with a stick, has a place to put a clutch (all 88-93 W's do), but none of the 94-2003 cars have a place for a clutch. what good will this awesome tranny be if we can't put a clutch pedal in our cars!!!

-Tom

PFF
System Bot
bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
Hey! If you need a test car, my Quad4 HO turbo should be finished in about a month. We should have about 350whp at 15psi and over 400 at 22psi. Since the best launches are high RPM ones, I'll test the transmission for you!
--Bryson

------------------
88 Fiero GT Quad4 Turbo...It has begun
88 VW GTI 16v
90 Olds Calais International H.O.
88 Fiero Formula

DKOV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SuperBuick:

"Oh, and for those of you that have ben wondering, YES... we have planned to make these available to W-Body owners as well "

As an eager W-Body owner - how will you address the issue of a place to mount the clutch pedal in newer W-Bodies? My 1990 Buick, though never offered with a stick, has a place to put a clutch (all 88-93 W's do), but none of the 94-2003 cars have a place for a clutch. what good will this awesome tranny be if we can't put a clutch pedal in our cars!!!

-Tom

That is a situation to be addressed. For obvious reasons, we are going after the market that will easily take them as stock or lightly modified to fit the needed conversions to 5 speeds. Developing a solution for NON 5 speed capable cars is costly and we need the cash flow to support it.

I totally agree... if/when we come out with the complete auto-to-manual conversion kits, we open a whole new market. It's a matter of time though... realistically.

Not the best news, I know, but it is not a complete "no".

DKOV -

DKOV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post

DKOV

1564 posts
Member since Mar 2001
To all potential "Testers"...

My thoughts were not originally designed to say that I would be giving away free trannies to test... However, your response has given me some ideas along those lines.

I'm considering a "sponsorship" program allowing for deeply discounted trannies for testing and racing purposes and some of you may be fortunate to benefit from it... I just need to think up a reasonable and fair criteria for selecting the participants. Seems like it may be a good marketing plan and you all obviously are interested in them.

Let me work something out.... Thanks.

DKOV -

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I'd be willing to test one for you. When I get the heads & cams on my Northstar I'll be pushing about 380 ftlbs and spinning to the far side of 9K.

What ratios/FD's will be available?

breakneck88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for breakneck88Send a Private Message to breakneck88Direct Link to This Post
how hard would you want to test them!!! I have everything I need for a blower motor 6-71 383 all forged!! I wouldnt waste the time putting it in the fiero now!!!!!! BUT IF I HAD A TRANNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would have to fab somekind of wheelie bar setup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive got a chubbie!!!!!!!!!!! hey my fiero has plenty of room for graphics on the sides! hint, hint, hint,!
DKOV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post
The three final drive ratios available. They are 3.55, 3.88 and 3.94. I'm deciding between the latter two for the "common" or default configuration.

Any thoughts on which one should be the basic set?

DKOV -

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I'm thinking the 3.55 would be good for most V8's, especially with the deep 1st gear, if it's similar to a Getrag 1st gear.
DKOV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post
3.36 or 3.54 1st gears.

DKOV -

cancerkazoo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cancerkazooClick Here to visit cancerkazoo's HomePageSend a Private Message to cancerkazooDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cancerkazoo:

Can you integrate a pocket in the bellhousing webbing for a Northstar starter, and maybe pick up that last bolt or will that mess it up for the other engines?

Steve

Oh, Are those LSDs biased for mid engine rwd cars?

^

timg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgSend a Private Message to timgDirect Link to This Post
If you need beta testers for a 95+ w-body, I have a turbocharged 3.4 DOHC in a 95 Chevy Monte Carlo Z34. I've been looking into 282 and 284 swaps for a while. Right now I'm running about 6 psi of boost and will up it to 7-8 psi with the addition of an intercooler in the next few weeks. Let me know. If not these, I'd probably end up with a 282 to start with (cheap + LSD) and have to figure out the transmission controls to trick the ECU.

Tim

PFF
System Bot
Fiero STS

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSDirect Link to This Post
Would seriously consider one for an N* swap I have done the N* with the auto but I think a manual trans would be very fun.
SuperBuick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperBuickSend a Private Message to SuperBuickDirect Link to This Post
DKOV - my thoughts are that if and when you are able to produce a kit that would enable the installing of a manual tranny into the newer W-Bodies - you will hit a gold mine. I can't IMAGINE how many of the GT and GTP owners over at clubgp would die to have a manual in their cars. If and when you do - I'll be so inclined to buy a GTP JUST to do the manual swap.

-Tom

NOSV8SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2003 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NOSV8SESend a Private Message to NOSV8SEDirect Link to This Post
This is my very first post to this BB and I have to say, I am glad there is one for our Lil' sports cars! I too live in the Vancouver/Portland area! I am in Battleground to be exact. I am bigtime into dragracing and I am building my Fiero to be a street/strip car. I thought it was the perfect balance between the import crowd and the traditional domestic crowd as it is small like an import, but RWD/V8 powered (when it is done). I already picked up a SBC 4 bolt block, just got my Eagle crank from UPS TODAY!, and am waiting for the Scat rods and SpeedPro pistons I ordered to come in. When they get here (should be any day now!)then it is off to the machine shop I go. THen the heads and all the other good stuff.
The goal is around 550hp on the bottle so it should move pretty well....therefore, I will probably be in need of this hot new tranny with a LS you guys have been talking about.
I look forward to talking to you all!!

------------------
1985 Fiero SE, 350 V8, NOS injected fun!

[This message has been edited by NOSV8SE (edited 06-12-2003).]

Lowerd1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2003 04:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lowerd1Send a Private Message to Lowerd1Direct Link to This Post
The 94-UP w-body 5speed swap has been done and all the problems have been solved. Just thought I would share that. You have to find a Donor pre94 5speed W-body and do some swapping.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/soccrplayrgtp

He did the swap and shows the step by step and all.

As for the computer DHP can hook you up with that.

Once again Thank you! The W-body community is doing Backflip and anykind of flips over this.

nocutt

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-12-2003 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nocuttSend a Private Message to nocuttDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lowerd1:

The W-body community is doing Backflip and anykind of flips over this.

LOL!!

------------------
3800 II v6 intercooled turbo...CWP!

CSTMGP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2003 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSTMGPClick Here to visit CSTMGP's HomePageSend a Private Message to CSTMGPDirect Link to This Post
Yes, there is definitely interest in the W-body crowd.
I have already decided to purchase one of these trannies for my 91 GTP with the SC3800. I would like to have the 6-speed, but may start with the 5 if it is going to be available soon.

------------------
91 GTP W/ SC 3800 swap and custom paint, interior, and stereo

dykz34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2003 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dykz34Send a Private Message to dykz34Direct Link to This Post
Hey there--just another Gen. 1 W-Body owner here saying that this is gonna be a great project. I can almost guarantee you my money, but I need to see some testing first.

------------------
http://dykz34.com

DKOV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2003 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the positive notes guys. This is exactly the kind of support I need to prove my case with the manufacturers. Keep it up!

More news to come...

DKOV -

hiller21c

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2003 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiller21cSend a Private Message to hiller21cDirect Link to This Post
page 4! nonono. im very interested still whats going on any news??
just alittle bump
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2003 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Shoot... I just have a piddly little 3.4 with an automatic, and I still find this interesting as all heck.

Therefore,

<bump>

------------------
Raydar

88 3.4 coupe. 17s, cut springs 'n all.

PFF
System Bot
DKOV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2003 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post
The latest...

We've been going over the "optimum" gear ratios to find the design that we will call our base configuration. In other words, what will we sell the most of. It's been difficult becuase of the wide variety of engines that the Fiero community has been running behing them

Taking into consideration the W Bodies and other models that may take advantage of these new trannies as well, we've been focusing on a ration closer to the 3.88 or 3.94 final drive ratios. The 3.55 will still be available but in order to commit to volumes, we have to gamble on a unit that will fit the widest variety of applications.

The other developements and considerations have been to the strength of the actual gears in the tranny. We have been discussing the various steel strengths we can add and the variety of configurations we can assemble to get the overall strength we are looking for while not compromising on weight to much. I'd like to take advantage of a 650 ft lb capable configuration but the weight makes it difficult to justify. Maybe stronger gears in 1st and 2nd, less in 3rd, less in 4th, even less in 5th... hopefully the average will level out?

These are the things we are working through now.

Keep checking back, we'll have some soon

DKOV -
DMS

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2003 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
DKOV - I would be willing to pay for one of these for my 3.4l DOHC Turbo car. Consider it testing and ask whatever you want from the car. Let me know. I have the money sitting, waiting if needed.

Matt

------------------
86 GT, 5-Speed
87 GT, 3.4l DOHC Turbo

f-stop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2003 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f-stopSend a Private Message to f-stopDirect Link to This Post
page 7? I don't think so. Bump.
JEDI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2003 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JEDISend a Private Message to JEDIDirect Link to This Post
650lb Tq? DAMN! Someone could put in the 454 Small Block that was in Hot Rod recently. Talk about a stupid fast Fiero...

How many Synchros per gear are you looking at?

bushroot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2003 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bushrootSend a Private Message to bushrootDirect Link to This Post
bump
DKOV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JEDI:

650lb Tq? DAMN! Someone could put in the 454 Small Block that was in Hot Rod recently. Talk about a stupid fast Fiero...

How many Synchros per gear are you looking at?

Dual synchs in 1st and 2nd, singles from there... That's on our standard HD tranny in both 5 and 6 speed figs.

DKOV -

DKOV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post

DKOV

1564 posts
Member since Mar 2001
UPDATE :

You'll all be glad to know that we have one of the 5-speeds ON THE ROAD in testing. Running it against a Turbo'd motor at around 300 HP for starters. Holding together so far

More to follow... stats, performance, reviews, disassembled measurements, et all.

DKOV -

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

UPDATE :

You'll all be glad to know that we have one of the 5-speeds ON THE ROAD in testing. Running it against a Turbo'd motor at around 300 HP for starters. Holding together so far

More to follow... stats, performance, reviews, disassembled measurements, et all.

DKOV -

I have been reading this thread thinking you were in Italy or something. I just realized that you are in Portland. WOW. I grew up in Aurora about 20miles from there. My father still lives in Aurora. Hmm maybe I will have to come down for a visit and see one of these 6spd cars in Action. (Seeing as how as how I have blow 3, 4spd's in less than a year.)

------------------
85GT 2.9 4spd
www.david.westcoastfieros.com

DRH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2003 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHDirect Link to This Post

The other developements and considerations have been to the strength of the actual gears in the tranny. We have been discussing the various steel strengths we can add and the variety of configurations we can assemble to get the overall strength we are looking for while not compromising on weight to much. I'd like to take advantage of a 650 ft lb capable configuration but the weight makes it difficult to justify. Maybe stronger gears in 1st and 2nd, less in 3rd, less in 4th, even less in 5th... hopefully the average will level out?

Personally I'd rather have it heavier and more reliable. For your target market I'd think power handling capability would be the #1 priority. Weight is a consideration, but I don't think it's nearly as important. Just my .02...

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock