v8 sbc headers? by breakneck88
Started on: 04-22-2003 12:59 PM
Replies: 43
Last post by: Mr. Pat on 02-23-2004 06:08 PM
breakneck88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for breakneck88Send a Private Message to breakneck88Direct Link to This Post
What are you guys running?? And what are the part #s??? I welcome experience as well as opinions!!!! I know Alot of you have gone through the trial and error, it is greatly appreciated if you would share those experiences!!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
V8FieroEast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8FieroEastSend a Private Message to V8FieroEastDirect Link to This Post
I think most guys are running the Sanderson CC90 block huggers. I modified mine for better flow. IMO they are crap. Poor construction, restrictive collector, overpriced. Quality like a $79 Heddman but cost $220. I am close to starting the exhaust on my 86 and will build my own with parts from headers by Ed. Ed has built headers for me before. Ed is the man.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
What do you want for the Sandersons??

------------------

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I want durability so i used cast iron RamsHorn style OEM.
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
I'm going with the ram horns too. Durable and cheap. You can pick them up on ebay for anywhere from $5 and up. The ones with the 2 1/2 inch colloctor is more expensive and came on the older Vettes. Thats what I have. I think most have a 2 inch collector.

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com Support Mental Health, or I'll Kill Ya's!!
Yellow Formula Signature

• 88 Yellow FORMULA-undergoing ZZ3 350 with Accel 1000CFM Street Ram TPI and Gen VI DFI=345HP/390TQ
  • chevy S10 Parts Fetcher-getting a new engine to haul my fieros(and others)
  • 87SE V6 auto-L4 to V6 done, Daily Driver
  • My Shower Cam
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Damn, Roger. You've got almot 9000 posts!
breakneck88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for breakneck88Send a Private Message to breakneck88Direct Link to This Post
anyother major companies been used besides sanderson??? How about just normal center dump blockhuggers or the shorty type with the collector on the right bank straight back and the left angled down more? I guess they were Blazer exhaust manifolds
skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
I believe West Coast Fiero is now making headers for the V8 in Fieros.

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 Supercharged
White 88 GT Stock
Please give me a rating if you appreciate my contribution.
History of Skitimes Car

West Coast Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for West Coast FieroClick Here to visit West Coast Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to West Coast FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skitime:

Heres a few shots of them installed on a block and trans, however no in car shots of them as of yet due to pending V-8 kit development.

------------------
( the above was the thoughts, views, and opinions of a disgruntled Fiero mechanic, and do not express or
imply those of West Coast Fiero, Fieros West, or any other organization - just that of this poor
bastard )
:)

Eric Nelson
Technician,
West Coast Fiero
310-305-4111

Jim88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTDirect Link to This Post
I used Sanderson ceramic coated when I did my ZZ4 S-10 conversion 3 years ago. I'm happy with the quality and they are still leak free and look great after 40,000 miles.
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skitime:

Can you imagine all the heat that would add to the engine compartment.

Also the tube from cylinder #1 would not clear the alternator. The 4 tubes from the front side of the engine run right above the starter & we all know how much starters like heat. Also, routing the remote oil filter hoses would be a nightmare. Can you imagine trying to service that exhaust in the car?

I'll bet there isn't a V-8 Fiero running around with that system on it.

Come on Eric, show us pictures of a finished car that actually has that system on it.

breakneck88: Block huggers hug the block too closely and the #1 exhaust tube interfers with the alternator. I've researched virtually every kind of header and the Sanderson is what fits best.

Archie

Tell me now what can fit or look better than this.....

PFF
System Bot
cardealer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cardealerSend a Private Message to cardealerDirect Link to This Post
88GTNeverfinished

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTNeverfinishedSend a Private Message to 88GTNeverfinishedDirect Link to This Post
I smell another west coast/midwest feud a brewin.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

Damn, Roger. You've got almot 9000 posts!

Bow down......... (wish I had a dollar for each one)

KissMySSFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
CarDealer,
how are the SSAutochrome ones holding up? I've seen the other shorty's they sell and was far from impressed. They had thin tubing and thin flanges.
West Coast Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for West Coast FieroClick Here to visit West Coast Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to West Coast FieroDirect Link to This Post
As my previous post clearly stated, these are not installed due to pending kit development as it is just not high priority at this point in time - read into each of my posts just a little more before you go on the defensive.

Question - any particular reason why these remote oil filter lines are so long and ( appear to ) run right by the header?

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by West Coast Fiero:
Question - any particular reason why these remote oil filter lines are so long and ( appear to ) run right by the header?

They have at least 4" of clearance to the Header and downpipe.

As my previous post clearly stated, these are not installed due to pending kit development as it is just not high priority at this point in time - read into each of my posts just a little more before you go on the defensive.

It's not about me being defensive, Lord knows you have nothing to offer that I need to be defensive about.

This is about you advocating (by posting pictures of) a system that is untried and untested. The guy asked about what people are using now, not some pipe dream of what you think will work.

Archie

John Boelte

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2003 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for John BoelteSend a Private Message to John BoelteDirect Link to This Post
Damn Archie! Kinda rough on the guy, huh?

That said, the block huggers are more appealing to me. I wouldn't want all that exhaust tubing baking the engine compartment. Sorry West Coast.

cardealer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2003 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cardealerSend a Private Message to cardealerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero:

CarDealer,
how are the SSAutochrome ones holding up? I've seen the other shorty's they sell and was far from impressed. They had thin tubing and thin flanges.

the ones i got are great, although i didnt get mine for as cheap as on ebay. i ordered mine directly from ssautochrome. i had a 2 minute phone conversation with the people at sanderson and swore i would never do business with them(her) again. the ones i got from ssautochrome seem well constructed, thick flanges, ect. but for as cheap as they are on ebay, hell just buy two pair.
good luck

breakneck88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2003 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for breakneck88Send a Private Message to breakneck88Direct Link to This Post
Hey Now!!!!
Everyone take a time out!!!!! lol! Wow!
West Coast Keep working at it! the experimenting is half the fun! I think I might try the ssautochrome headers. Although I am curious to see if anyone has tried two left bank (ODDS) headers, instead of the center dumps. I am just not sure if the rear headers aiming out torwards the right rear would work??? So looking at the sbc from the back of the car, the front header goes left and the rear header goes right? Either way, with any of the above set ups you guys are running, Do you run true duals???? and what mufflers are you going with? ( this is kind of changing the subject,) I appreciate EVERYONES experience, opinions and attempts.
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2003 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cardealer:

the ones i got are great, although i didnt get mine for as cheap as on ebay. i ordered mine directly from ssautochrome. i had a 2 minute phone conversation with the people at sanderson and swore i would never do business with them(her) again. the ones i got from ssautochrome seem well constructed, thick flanges, ect. but for as cheap as they are on ebay, hell just buy two pair.
good luck

I was wondering about those when I spotted them on ebay last week.

They certainly look good on the engine!

(cardealer's photo- I'm just borrowing it from his Yahoo album)

Do you have any further details about your exhaust system (what else do you have in there? cat(s)? muffler(s)?) I'm just curious, as it'll be a long time before I get around to actually working on my V8 project

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

PFF
System Bot
West Coast Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2003 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for West Coast FieroClick Here to visit West Coast Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to West Coast FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by breakneck88:

Hey Now!!!!
West Coast Keep working at it! the experimenting is half the fun! I think I might try the ssautochrome headers. Although I am curious to see if anyone has tried two left bank (ODDS) headers, instead of the center dumps. I am just not sure if the rear headers aiming out torwards the right rear would work??? So looking at the sbc from the back of the car, the front header goes left and the rear header goes right? Either way, with any of the above set ups you guys are running, Do you run true duals???? and what mufflers are you going with? ( this is kind of changing the subject,) I appreciate EVERYONES experience, opinions and attempts.

No worries, just throwin in some ideas.

West Coast Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2003 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for West Coast FieroClick Here to visit West Coast Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to West Coast FieroDirect Link to This Post

West Coast Fiero

2044 posts
Member since Jun 2001
[quote]They have at least 4" of clearance to the Header and downpipe.[/qoute]

OK, Still - why are they so long? If you choose to avoid the question, I understand, thats just your style

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2003 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by breakneck88:

Hey Now!!!!

If the front header goes toward the left it is going to be real close to the starter. If it goes to the right it will be close to the A/C compressor. The header also needs to stay a certain distance from the block. Also, for servicablity and clearance, the tubes of the header need to stay above the spark plugs. The center dump CC90 style header is the only one that fills all those needs.

On the rear header the header collector needs to be as short as posible to make the pipes fit and stay out away from the block to clear the axle shaft. A header that goes to the right will interfer with the toe link from the suspension & any pipe that attaches to it will be difficult to route. Once again I can't understand why people can't accept that someone has already tried all these variations.

Another note, almost all headers that are of the style you are looking at are designed for a front engined rear wheel drive car and they tend to stay in too close to the engine block for our purposes.

Archie

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2003 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Archie

9436 posts
Member since Dec 1999

[quote]They have at least 4" of clearance to the Header and downpipe.[/qoute]

OK, Still - why are they so long? If you choose to avoid the question, I understand, thats just your style

Eric, pay attention just in case you haven't noticed, I don't like you even a little bit. After all the crap you've given me over the years with all your lies and miss-informed comments, I don't avoid your questions, I IGNORE THEM.

I've been using the same oil hoses for 16 years now and they work just fine. Just in case you can't figure ot out, the hose closest to the engine has to run alongside the engine between the block and the starter, so it's length is a given. To make that hose shorter would invite kinks. Since the area where that hose has to run is good and safe, the other hose is the same length with the same routing.

Archie

KissMySSFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2003 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
My truck has longer hoses to the remote oil filter then a V8 fiero. And it comes that way from the factory. They also run about the same distance from the manifold.

BTW: I can understand why people insist on trying other methods. Did you listen to your parents everytime they told you not to do something? Even though, they had already done it? Go figure, same thing happened just like they said.

GKDINC

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2003 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCDirect Link to This Post
Someone should ask what tranny you intend to use? The auto might make a difference in your choice. JMO Gary P.S. I use the ram horns funished by Archie with the auto. Works Great.

[This message has been edited by GKDINC (edited 04-23-2003).]

Mr. Farknocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2003 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. FarknockerSend a Private Message to Mr. FarknockerDirect Link to This Post
I think this topic has been covered several times.

I use Archie's ramhorn manifolds. Dave Vizard's literature says that this is just about the best stock manifold you can get your hands on in terms of flow (i.e., cfm). There is no doubt in my mind that it is extremely durable, fits well and performs well.

Others have used Sanderson's CC90 with success. It sports 1-1/2" diam. primaries.
These headers are similar in shape and form, have separate primaries, angle straight down instead of toward the oil pan and extend about 3.5" from the head (if my memory serves me correct).

Pictures of the CC90 have been posted before by another member and are reproduced here for illustrative purposes:

Pictures comparing ramhorns and the CC90s have also been posted before by someone else in the forum. Here they are:

A while back, I purchased a set of Sanderson's CC2. They are similar to the CC90 but sport 1-5/8" primaries instead of 1-1/2". I think the collectors are also angled slightly toward the oil pan. They reportedly fit so I purchased a pair. I have yet to install them though. Obviously, these headers will provide better flow figures than the CC90s and the ramhorns.

Here are some photos I took of the CC2:

I'll post 2 additional pictures in the following posts because of technical limitations imposed by this forum.

Farknocker

[This message has been edited by Mr. Farknocker (edited 04-24-2003).]

Mr. Farknocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2003 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. FarknockerSend a Private Message to Mr. FarknockerDirect Link to This Post

Mr. Farknocker

431 posts
Member since Dec 2001

Farknocker

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2003 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
so the CC2's are the ones to get?
im gonna buy some i think

------------------
Rich
white 86 se, 2" drop, coil overs, KYB's. CRX intake, ported manifolds

Gold 86 se, Built 355, 4:10 adjustable Koni's, Eibach's,polly. and lots more!!

SOLD the Mitsu.

$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2003 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
$Rich$

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2003 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post

$Rich$

14575 posts
Member since Dec 2002
i talked to the guy at sanderson, he said the cc90's are the ones to have , and he said i could get them cheeper through century performance.com
he was right,
they were $15 cheeper through century, they cost me $360 + $15 shipping

not that you all care, i just thought id share

------------------
Rich
white 86 se, 2" drop, coil overs, KYB's. CRX intake, ported manifolds

Gold 86 se, Built 355, 4:10 adjustable Koni's, Eibach's,polly. and lots more!!

SOLD the Mitsu.

1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2003 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Direct Link to This Post
Farknocker,

How did the CC2's fit?

No issues?

John

donk316

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
User Banned

Report this Post07-27-2003 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Direct Link to This Post
Im not a V8 guy but the set up that WCF has is identical to my V6 setup the firewall bank comes up and over the tranny and meets the rear bank at the top. There is no 'added heat'. Geez look at the factory V6 exhaust that basically coils around the bottom of the engine creating a blast furnace effect. Those V8's with block huggers I assume run the firewall side down and under the car. To me, that doesnt make sense, but then again thats my opinion Heat radiates UP not down. If your heat source is above or level with motor your not gonna heat soak it.
Lambykin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2003 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LambykinSend a Private Message to LambykinDirect Link to This Post
In answer to the original question, like many others, I use the regular "ramhorn" style of exhaust manifold you can easily find on most GM V8s from the 70s and 80s.
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2004 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
Just bumping this to the top to see if Mr. Farknocker has had a chance to try out the CC2's.

------------------

Russ544

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2004 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by $Rich$:

i talked to the guy at sanderson, he said the cc90's are the ones to have , and he said i could get them cheeper through century performance.com
he was right,
they were $15 cheeper through century, they cost me $360 + $15 shipping

Let's just assume you simply made a typo.
I purchased a set of CC90 from Century les than a year ago. Freight included they cost $227.01.
And contrary to another post, the Sandersons are well made, with some of the thickest flanges on the market.
Wile it's correct that the [sweet young lady] at Sandersons is [less than courtious], the people at Century are great to work with and quite helpfull.
Maybe some folks on this board just don't get enough sx

PS: Keep working on it West Coast. Nothing wrong with trying new things. You may want to look at a clearance issue with the shift cables, on some trans, and the top ex pipe shown in your photo.

Russ Camp

------------------
86 SE350 x 4 speed (my way)
86 SE2.8 x 4 speed (all-option restored)
88 coupe x 5 speed (future IMSA 4.3L project)

[This message has been edited by Russ544 (edited 02-22-2004).]

Tina

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2004 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinaSend a Private Message to TinaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Russ544:

Wile it's correct that the [sweet young lady] at Sandersons is [less than courtious],

ROFLOL

Sooo, ... you had the pleasure to talking to the .... too.

------------------

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2004 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tina:

ROFLOL

Sooo, ... you had the pleasure to talking to the .... too.

I warned both of you, didn't I?

Arcfhie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 02-22-2004).]

Tugboat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2004 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TugboatSend a Private Message to TugboatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donk316:

Im not a V8 guy but the set up that WCF has is identical to my V6 setup the firewall bank comes up and over the tranny and meets the rear bank at the top. There is no 'added heat'. Geez look at the factory V6 exhaust that basically coils around the bottom of the engine creating a blast furnace effect. Those V8's with block huggers I assume run the firewall side down and under the car. To me, that doesnt make sense, but then again thats my opinion Heat radiates UP not down. If your heat source is above or level with motor your not gonna heat soak it.

Do you worry more about what's happening when you're driving or parked? There's a lot more cool air under the car than in the engine compartment at speed. I'd rather have the exhaust under the car than running around the engine compartment. All that surface area radiates heat.

Headers don't hold enough heat to do much heat soaking, but they radiate plenty!

GL

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock