Which 3800 to buy? by FleshRocket
Started on: 11-25-2003 06:18 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: fierofool on 11-25-2003 08:24 PM
FleshRocket

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2003 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FleshRocketSend a Private Message to FleshRocketDirect Link to This Post
As I'm searching for a 3800SC for my conversion this winter, I've noticed people here say that the GTP motor is the preferred one for the Fiero swap. Thing is, I don't remember anyone saying WHY the GTP motor is better. Can someone enlighten me?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
boristheblade

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2003 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boristhebladeClick Here to visit boristheblade's HomePageSend a Private Message to boristhebladeDirect Link to This Post
The GTP is the signature model for the SC3800.
Out of the other Grand Prixs, it will not be S/C
boris
naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2003 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by boristheblade:

The GTP is the signature model for the SC3800.
Out of the other Grand Prixs, it will not be S/C
boris

I believe he's asking why to get it out of a GTP as opposed to say a Bonneville SSEI or a Regal GS or a supercharged Riviera or Park Avenue.

I believe the only reason there would be for the computer, the Grand Prix would probably be programmed a bit "sportier" than the Buicks or the Bonney. But thats just a guess, I'm not positive.

------------------
Nick www.naskie18.com AIM: Naskie182010

Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2003 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
From personal experience, I'd say go with a GTP motor if you can. Don't go with a Riviera motor. I'm using a '98 Riviera motor, and attached 4T65E-HD auto tranny. Turns out the '98,'99 Park ave and Riviera used a slightly different 4T65E with a different sized pass. axle, which was a pain to get. Also, you need a GTP (or other) oil filter mount instead of the Buick's. And the Riviera's (and I assume Park Ave's) SC tensioner / idler pulley setup puts the belts right into the passenger side hinge, not a good thing. You need to design a new pulley setup or use the GTP pullies. The computer seems OK to me, but I haven't *really* looked into it. People say the Buick antitheft Passkey is harder to deal with, but I found it easy. Just use the original Passkey box from the car. Just some thoughts from my experience! (and BTW if I had to to it over again, I'd go 5 speed Getrag!! Axles were a pain!!)

------------------
Bob Williams
Multi-colored '87 Mutt, a work in progress! (3800SC installation in super-slow-motion progress... I turn the key and it starts, I turn the key off and it stops. I give it gas and the axles spin. WOOHOO!! It works!! It works!! It works!! Did I mention IT WORKS!?!?)

TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2003 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
The GTP engine is slightly narrower to fit in the W body. The pulley bracket isn't as wide.

Other than that, they are the same engine and produce the same HP. Nothing is tweaked or special in the GTP engine. The new Comp GT engine doesn't count. It's not all that cosmic anyway.

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2003 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
I don't know how the Pontiac compares with the other engines, but Consumer Reports deemed the 2002 Pontiac 3800 engine the most reliable of all the Pontiac 3800's. There has been a recall on all Pontiac 3800's from 2000 up to replace some fasteners on the intake to prevent coolant leakage into the oiling system. I assume this would also apply to all other GM 3800's of the same years.

Edit: "deemed the 2000 Pontiac 3800 engine the most reliable"

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 11-26-2003).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock