Suspension Bolts by bobmarshall
Started on: 11-23-2003 09:16 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: PK on 11-24-2003 07:33 AM
bobmarshall

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2003 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bobmarshallSend a Private Message to bobmarshallDirect Link to This Post
During the rebuilding of my front suspension in my 88 GT I had to cut off one of the bolts. I found out that finding replacement metric bolts with the same hardness isn't easy. They are not available from Pontiac dealers. Here is a web site where you can order the correct size bolt, nut and washers. They also offer stainless steel fasteners. www.boltdepot.com. We would not have to go through all this if GM would have spent a penny on anti-seize on these bolts. Don't make the same mistake. Your alignment guy will thank you.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Solo2

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
User Banned

Report this Post11-23-2003 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Solo2Send a Private Message to Solo2Direct Link to This Post
Just let your fingers do the walking. Try looking in the yellow pages for "bolts" most major cities have metric and english warehouses / supplies shops that carry them.

Been doing that for years.

88GTNeverfinished

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2003 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTNeverfinishedSend a Private Message to 88GTNeverfinishedDirect Link to This Post
I run into the same problem. What really blows my mind is that cars have been using metric bolts for decades now and they are still a pia to find.

Go into any hardware store and you will find a whole aisle of standard bolts and nuts in every size and grade imaginable.

Look for metric in that same hardware store and you may find a small rack with few to none in the size you need and for sure not the 10.9 hardness you need for suspension bolts.

Anyway good find thanks

bobmarshall

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2003 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bobmarshallSend a Private Message to bobmarshallDirect Link to This Post
Where I live, Northern Virginia, the only hardware store is Home Depot and Lowes. Every bin I looked in was empty or had the wrong bolt in it. All the little hardware stores have been put out of business by HD and Lowes. Sad situation.
L67Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2003 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67FormulaSend a Private Message to L67FormulaDirect Link to This Post
I got mine at www.mcmaster.com page 2933. Metric Blue 12.9 class M12-1.75 x 90mm. You get 10 package(min order). Around my town the bolt houses(the ones that sell real bolts) have a minimum ticket order of from $35-$50. 10 bolts from McMaster-Carr is a little over $10 and they are pretty nice bolts. It's a better grade bolt than the one you took out.

jp

PK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2003 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKDirect Link to This Post
If anyone is struggling to find suspension bolts then give me a shout.

Cheers
PK

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock