Autozone warning by lemonicegt
Started on: 11-22-2003 11:42 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: guitargeek2 on 11-23-2003 09:45 PM
lemonicegt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2003 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lemonicegtSend a Private Message to lemonicegtDirect Link to This Post
If you plan on getting parts go somewhere else........everything we bought from there either broke or was wrong, only thing we have on the car from a first time buy is ONE brake caliper. We have had a broke axle, broken alternator, motor mount with a stripped stud (twice), tranny mount with a ball piece on the top instead of a cylinder so we had to grind it to fit right, leaking brake caliper, bad master cylinder and we think the alternator belt they gave us is the wrong size because the alternator is fully slid out and the belt is still not tight (tight enough it runs but not where it should be)......if they keep this up we might just drive the fiero through the front of the store and sue them for selling faulty parts hahaahah. I mean could you imagine wrecking the car because they sold you an axle that broke when the car moved less than 25ft?? or couldnt stop because your caliper leaked and you had no brakeS?
We are HIGHLY disappointed with them and would not recommend (sp?) any of you buy parts from them.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ditch

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2003 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ditchSend a Private Message to ditchDirect Link to This Post
I'm not going to say that their parts are top notch. You're definitely better going with genuine GM parts instead of rebuilds.
My history with them as I can remember: (at least the more expensive items)

2 drive axles
4 alternators
2 starters
1 MAF sensor (yes, that's MAF, not MAP)
1 radiator

Of those, I had to replace 1 alternator that went out after about 11 months (covered under warranty, so no charge) and 1 starter...the casing broke after about 6 months, also covered under warranty.

Guess that's not a super track record in my case either, but that's the gamble I take by buying rebuilt parts. All the items I listed are real easy to replace, so I would still get autozone stuff in those cases.

If it were something that was a ***** to replace, I'd probably get a more expensive new one for the peace of mind.

2000RagTop

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2003 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear you've had bad luck with this Company..........
I can't say that I have!

Good Luck to you,
-Michael

------------------

88GT/Auto/Beechwood Leather/Sun Roof/ Wing/Sub-Woofer/w-EQ/225/45/17 Michelin Pilots/All Opts Ex.T-Tops-Mores Pix https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/031475.html

mshill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2003 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mshillSend a Private Message to mshillDirect Link to This Post
I get a lot of stuff from Autozone. Over the last 8 years (for five different vehicles) I haven't had to return anything or claim warranty on anything. There have been times that the parts didn't fit or were incorrect, but never had a problem returning them. I generally do not buy Fiero specific parts there for that reason. Stuff like engine mounts and hoses I buy elsewhere since they are not typically the right things at autozone.
88GTNeverfinished

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2003 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTNeverfinishedSend a Private Message to 88GTNeverfinishedDirect Link to This Post
I had a prob with them and 88 front calipers. 1st try ordered the left and got the right. Took it back. 2nd try again ordered the left and got the right.

My momma didn't raise no fools, so on the 3rd try ordered the right and got the left I needed.

stuartlowery

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
User Banned

Report this Post11-23-2003 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stuartloweryClick Here to visit stuartlowery's HomePageSend a Private Message to stuartloweryDirect Link to This Post
I get my alternators from there and so far only returned one out of six. But for parts that always need returning is my Lifetime waranteed Clutch Slave cylinder on my truck. I'm getting pretty good at changing them out without having to bleed much. 15 minute process from having to do about seven in about five years.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2003 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I have great luck there. I buy a LOT of parts for 6 cars of mine plus a lot of customer cars. Everyone is going to have defective parts, just seems like you had a particularly bad time. Ive got a MAT sensor there where NO ONE, including the dealer even had the part available. To make a long story short there are about 5 diff ones, and ALL the GM dealers had only one, which wasnt the correct one. The Zone was the only place in Columbus that actually had ALL 5. I just put rotors on the vette today. everyone wanted over $100 each, Autozone had them for $48 and they were right and work perfect. Ill accept a little trouble for what I pay.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 11-23-2003).]

HummelHund

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2003 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HummelHundSend a Private Message to HummelHundDirect Link to This Post
I used to frequent Autozone, but lately we've gotten two O'Reilly's Auto Parts stores in my area, and now I take my business there. Not only are they cheaper on most items, but they also carry more AC Delco parts, and if not that, Borg-Warner, which I've found to be more soundly built than the Wells parts AZ sells.
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2003 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
I don't think it's really Autozone alone.

I have the same problem with NAPA, etc here occasionally, crappy remanufacturing by the rebuilders.

I try to always get known quality name such as Wagner, or raybestos, etc, especially dealing with the calipers. I have seen worse remanufactured calipers than the core's I took in at NAPA through one of their cheaper line ups.

I know my NAPA for example does sell quite a bit of new stuff such as water pumps, steering racks and axles,for just a fraction more than remanufactured
I learnt long ago to thouroughly look the parts over in the store before I purchase them.

lemonicegt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2003 04:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lemonicegtSend a Private Message to lemonicegtDirect Link to This Post
Well I used to love Autozone......but now....no more haha...all their parts are remanufactured in mexico.....could be one possibility for cheaply and crappy rebuilt parts.....all I know is that one part out of all the ones we bought have worked correctly the first time and to me thats not a very good percentage.....I'm just givin you all the heads up that you might wanna go somewhere else.....we definitely are from now on.....and as for parts that are easy to replace.....i dont consider and axle "easy" nor the brake calipers, especially when nothing was wrong with the old ones in the first place. We just wanted the satisfaction of knowing it had new parts and shouldnt need replaces any time soon, and since the cradle was out and everything it was the easiest time to do it.....well it turned out to be WAY more work to use the new parts than to just stick with the old lol. I think our car is cursed anyways....we fix one thing and something else breaks....eventually the whole car will be new parts. My dad keeps sayin he is going to junk it but I know he won't...to much time and money invested already.....he said "I'm just going to crack the window and start dropping $5 bills in the car at the rate I'm spending money on it" LOL
Banner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2003 04:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BannerSend a Private Message to BannerDirect Link to This Post
I went thru 6 rear brake calipers (Three per side) when I replaced the rears this summer. Some where bad, some were missing things.

Yeah, I don't think brakes are a good thing to get there.

PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2003 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
I buy A LOT of parts from AutoZone (owned several cars over the years and used to do mechanic work on the side), and have great luck. Sure, I've had a few bad parts, but it's not their fault.

Interesting alternator story- The only bad alternator I ever got from them was a NEW AC-Delco unit. Took 3 tries to get a good one.

------------------

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2003 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

Interesting alternator story- The only bad alternator I ever got from them was a NEW AC-Delco unit. Took 3 tries to get a good one.

LOL yes I had the same problem, although I think it was a newly reman AC alternator if I remember right. AZ replaced it for me, no questions asked. And the funny thing, happened earlier: they put my old alternator on their testing machine, and they said it was good, but it clearly wasn't. Eventually I got a good replacement and the car's been good for a couple years with it.

Given the choice between a new AC product and a reman aftermarket part, I'll choose the new AC piece every time. Finding it in stock can be tough sometimes, so luckily for me there's an AZ, Carquest, and a Murray's all close. I shop them all.

------------------
88 Fiero GT 91K miles
91 Beretta 309K miles

REDHOTT88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2003 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for REDHOTT88Send a Private Message to REDHOTT88Direct Link to This Post
Sorry to hear you had problems...

I have frequented Autozone for some items, but not parts. I'll keep your comments in mind.

------------------
REDHOTT88
(Generic Bandwidth Saving Sig)

Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2003 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
I got vib dampener (2.8) from them and had to my own TDC mark on it since theres' was way way off! I think maybe it was for and S-10 or whatever. Anyway, I got to work. Glade I got engine internals elsewhere.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2003 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
I am not impressed with their low quailty parts, so I only buy oil and lube and filters from them. I have had great sucess with the high end NAPA brake parts. I try to buy GM as much as possible.
guitargeek2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2003 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for guitargeek2Send a Private Message to guitargeek2Direct Link to This Post
I work at Auto Zone, so I get to see what really are crappy parts and what aren't.

Tip: NEVER buy a fuel pump from Auto Zone unless it's a Delco. The other brand we carry, Master, is horrible.

However, for many items, we carry the same brand as the other auto parts stores. Brakes, for instance, we carry our cheapy Valucraft line, but we also have Raybestos, PFC, Morse, and Albany (which might be another AZ brand, not too sure).

I buy most of my parts there (since I work there and all) and I haven't had a single failure yet. Calipers, steering rack, all sorts of odd ignition/ engine management parts, switches, etc. I haven't had any problems.

I know that generally, Auto Zone doesn't hire the brightest bulbs in the box, but we're not ALL bad...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock