Started on: 11-21-2003 12:44 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: jscott1 on 11-21-2003 09:46 PM
fierofetish

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post11-21-2003 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
I know there is no real comparison between a v6 gt and a 1988 fiero L4 auto, but I do feel that it is a bit lethargic pulling away, although top speed is over 100mph on the clock...any comments as to whether this is normal? I'd have thought a light car with 2.5 litres should move off the line a bit quicker!!!
fierofetish
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2003 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Before I bought my 2.8 GT, I also drove a Duke auto.

It was really uninspiring.

You have to remember that the 2.5 auto was not marketted for sports enthusiasts. It was a commuter car.

The best thing to do is to ensure that the Catalytic Converter is not plugged. That can make a huge difference. It made a big difference on my GT.

The other thing is to ensure everything is tuned and lubed with clean filters.

Good luck.

By the sounds of it, I think you want more power and that will take a turbo or another motor.

fierofetish

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post11-21-2003 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Arns85gt.The 88 is my wife's, and I have an 861/2 v6gt...thereby the unfavourable comparison! After driving mine, my wife complained that hers was too slow!!!It has a new cat installed and the tuning appears to be spot-on, and so I guess the only answer is not to let her drive mine again!!
fierofetish
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2003 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
As previously mentioned, my 88 4 cylinder automatic was uninspiring as well.
Not only does the 4 cylinder have less power, the final drive of the '88 4 cylinder automatic tranny is 2.84, while the V-6 auto is 3.33 (I believe).
The 4 cylinder will rip along all day at 80 MPH, but it will take half the day getting up to that speed.

Mine was slow, but it's all better now. (See sig.)

------------------
Raydar
88 3.4 coupe.

Coming soon...
88 Formula, presently under the knife.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 11-21-2003).]

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2003 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Remember my little 88 T-top coupe that I drove on the RFTHs a few years ago, Steve? It was the only 4-cylinder on the whole run and I had no trouble running with everyone else... As a matter of fact, I was in the front half of the pack!

I know I had a slight advantage in the turns because of the 88 suspension but the motor AND suspension was worn out in this car and it was still quick! Maybe it was just a fluke...

Anyway.. on the recent California Coast Run, at the first stop the guy behind me was shocked that my car was an automatic because I was running the curves so fast... Of course this is a 2.8 but people always assume autos to be slower than manuals too so I figured I'd throw it in here...

------------------

Fiero-Performance.com - New mods for your Fiero from Fiero Performance Bayern in Germany

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2003 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Hey Songman,

Are you sure you have a Duke?

Are you sure you don't have a Superduty block? An old semi-worn Superduty would run pretty much as you describe. Probably like a good 2.8

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2003 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
One of the first things you should check, if the car is feeling sluggish, would be your engine compression. If the numbers are low it just means that your engine is worn out and will require a rebuild to regain the performance it once had.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2003 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
My 88 L4 Auto is pretty quick from 0-20 but it runs out of steam pretty quick after that. It takes forever to get up to 60.

It will run all day at 80 mph and not struggle, but acceleration is not the duke strong suit. Also the economy isn't all that great either, so my suggestion is that is you want performance or economy then an engine swap is in order.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock