Steering column Question!!! by BAM-BAM
Started on: 11-20-2003 10:56 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: BAM-BAM on 11-22-2003 10:13 PM
BAM-BAM

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2003 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BAM-BAMSend a Private Message to BAM-BAMDirect Link to This Post
Can a standard column, without Cruise and Delay, be upgraded for both by adding the correct turn signsl stock?? LMK

Peace, B2 OUT!!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2003 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
The cruise switches are in the Multi function lever (stock) But the pulse/delay wipers is built into the wiper switch within the steering column
GTDude

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2003 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
Yes, but you must realize that you must also install the other components for the cruise and delay wipers.

Phil

------------------
87 FIERO GT 2.8 5spd
0-60 in 6.8 seconds!
If you found my advice helpful, please take the time to give me a positive rating. Thanks

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2003 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
For the delay wipers all you have to do in addition to the switch is replace the motor with a delay motor. The wiring and connectors are the same, and you can pick them up on eBay for about $10.

For cruise I would suggest aftermarket. You can pick one up for little over $100 USD and wire it into a turn signal stalk that is identical to the stock ones. It will look and operate like factory.

Fierobsessed

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2003 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
Jscott, close. But there is a delay module, its to the right of the steering colum bolted to the support for the instrument cluster. its a black box with aluminum fins about 2"x3" It goes in line with the pulse wiper switch and the (what I think is the) standard connector that runs to the motor.

------------------

84 Indy Quad 4
88 Silver GT 5 SP

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post11-21-2003 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Fierobsessed, you are both right and wrong. The '84 had the delay module mounted under the dash, but starting in '85 the delay function was incorporated into the motor itself as a piggyback circuit board.

JazzMan

BAM-BAM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2003 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BAM-BAMSend a Private Message to BAM-BAMDirect Link to This Post
Ok, let me clarify. I have an 87GT with cruise and delay wipers. It was recently stolen and needless to say, the column fell victim to the @*#&$ heads that stole her. My delima is that I am having trouble finding a column with delay and cruise. what must I do to make a standard column suitable??

Peace, B2 OUT!!

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2003 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I didn't know about the delay module in the 84. I do know in my 88 I replaced the motor and switch and I have delay wipers now.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2003 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001
Bam-Bam what you want to do is even easier. The columns are the same. Just replace the wiper switch. It's not that hard. For cruise, just replace the stalk.

For both jobs you will have to remove the lock plate, (get a lock plate remover) I can't recall the exact order of things off the top of my head, but remove the turn signal switch and a few other things and it will be obvious how to replace the wiper switch.

If you don't have a delay wiper switch you should be able to get one anywhere. The saginaw column has only been made for like 30 years or something like that.

BAM-BAM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2003 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BAM-BAMSend a Private Message to BAM-BAMDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, I guess I can get it done. I have most of the old column and a new delay?cruise switch.

Peace, B2 OUT!!

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post11-22-2003 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
The only parts unique to the tilt/cruise/delay column are the tilt-related parts. All the other parts interchange. The cruise stalk doesn't even activate anything inside the column. Instead, its wire just goes down through the column to the cruise connector under the dash. You have to remove the shroud (the part that holds the ignition switch) to swap the wiper switch. Since the shroud is most commonly broken by theft, you could just swap over the replacement shroud after swapping over the wiper switch. It would help to know exactly what was broken in the column.

JazzMan

PFF
System Bot
BAM-BAM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2003 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BAM-BAMSend a Private Message to BAM-BAMDirect Link to This Post
JazzMan, that was my first consideration. However, there were a lot of pieces missing. I had a line on a complete column about a week ago but I was a bit slow in responding and it was sold when I got to the yard. Oh well, I can be a little more patient.

Peace, B2 OUT!!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock