Odometer Doesn't...! by Deezlfitr
Started on: 11-18-2003 01:22 AM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Whuffo on 11-21-2003 07:10 PM
Deezlfitr

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2003 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeezlfitrSend a Private Message to DeezlfitrDirect Link to This Post
When I got my Fiero, the odometer was not working. I'm ready to try and fix it... if possible? Anyone successfully repaired their odometer? Just point me in the right direction--->

------------------
Deezlfitr
"Life is just a bowl of cherries... ya just gotta watch out for the pits!"

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2003 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post
Does the speedometer work?

If not, then your problem is the wiring to the gage cluser or the sending unit. If yes, then the problem is the wiring or the odometer itself.

Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2003 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Direct Link to This Post
If the speedometer is working then your problem may be an unplugged odometer. (Maybe a previous owner didn't want to stack up the miles?)
Look on the circuit card that the speedometer mounts to. There are two connectors, one for the odometer and one for the trip odometer. Make sure both of them are plugged in. If they are, and the tripodometer is working, you may be able to swap the plugs. If the odometer starts working, then there is a problem on that circuit card. If it's still dead, then the stepper motor that drives the number wheels may be bad. Hope this helps.

------------------
Rod Schneider, Woodstock, Ga.
White 88 GT

2000RagTop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2003 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post
If your speedo and radio aren't working?......
It's a good chance you might have a blown fuse.
does your radio work?

Michael

------------------

88GT/Auto/Beechwood Leather/Sun Roof/ Wing/Sub-Woofer/w-EQ/225/45/17 Michelin Pilots/All Opts Ex.T-Tops-Mores Pix https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/031475.html

Deezlfitr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2003 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeezlfitrSend a Private Message to DeezlfitrDirect Link to This Post
I guess I should have also stated that the speedo does work; and, the trip meter works... kinda sometimes! I have to hold the reset button in and let it snap back... and keep my fingers crossed! I will check the odometer/trip plugs and the stepper motors. Thanks for the info! Any more suggestions??

------------------
Deezlfitr
"Life is just a bowl of cherries... ya just gotta watch out for the pits!"

2000RagTop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2003 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post
gently push the reset button it/out about 10-15 times........it well help!

Good Luck!
-Michael

fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post11-19-2003 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Somebody else had this problem on the BB a little while back, and so do I!!! Apparently He disassembled the odometer, and found something was jammed up with old grease...will try and find the thread...
fierofetish
Found it!! It was Whuffo in general fiero chat..17.7.03 under (score! snatched up a good one!)about 10 postings down!!
good luck!!
fierofetish

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 11-19-2003).]

Whuffo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2003 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhuffoClick Here to visit Whuffo's HomePageSend a Private Message to WhuffoDirect Link to This Post
Yup, that was me. It was the trip odometer I was having trouble with and it was caused by the grease on the reset mechanism being old, sticky, and dirty. Cleaning it out and applying fresh lubricant fixed it up.

This won't be the problem with your odometer, though. About all you can do is check to see if the plug from the odometer motor is plugged into the circuit board. Anything other than a loose plug means replacing the speedometer assembly...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock