Front trim of Ttop removal by LuvMy2seater
Started on: 11-17-2003 07:12 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Raydar on 11-17-2003 11:16 PM
LuvMy2seater

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2003 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LuvMy2seaterSend a Private Message to LuvMy2seaterDirect Link to This Post
on trying to remove the front windsheld body panel from my Ttop project car.. we found that not only is there an excessive amount of mastic under it.. it's also trapped with it's orginal hold down bolts and the front trim peice of the Ttop!! My bro in law cracked the windsheld.. sigh.. "don't get too close to the edge I said".. oops.. too late...

Anyway.. how do I remove that Peice of trim from the Ttop? Drill some rivets?

Also.. are P seals only available from that guy in Maine? $48.....

denise SE PA

------------------
Denise, SE PA2m6 86 se,5spd,black. 86 SE project car Ttop(yes really 86)4spd V6

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2003 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
If you are talking about the t-top front trim piece? yes it's riveted on. Better question is why are you trying to remove it?

P-seals are optional...they are not weather seals so you don't have to replace them if you don't want to.

Indiana_resto_guy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2003 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
If your talking about the piece which runs around the windshield top, bottom and sides it is not a t-top conversion part. Just obtain a different top and make a new one. If you really want that one, you are correct about the bytle tape being heavy. All Fieros are like this it must be worked gradually till you can pull it off. Patience is a virtue on getting them off any car, take your time and pry from the outside not on the windshild.
I take a scaling knife around the inside lip of the top frame around the windshield to cut any polyurethane which might be holding it down. Remove the two retaining nuts inside and gain access from the outside lip of the windshield and slip the knif in there and start going up and down the side cuttting the bytle tape. This tape is around both vertical windshield posts and across the top, the bottom should be free. If not it is being held down by the windshield polyurethane, use the knife to cut it.

And yes, currently to only outlet to get P seals is from Fiero Parts and Appraisials.

Welcome to the Forum!

LuvMy2seater

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2003 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LuvMy2seaterSend a Private Message to LuvMy2seaterDirect Link to This Post
whoa.... come on guys BE NICE.. i'm not taking it off for fun.. it's going to be painted and the trim around the winsheld was a mess, not to mention the rust under it.

yes, the trim on the front of the T top... it's alumimin and the top was made by C&C. It's one of the only 86's with a T top. Which.. is why i'm restoring it duh. We didn't want to mess with the T top but the windsheld frame(panel) is trapped with the bolts and the trim, we can't pop it out of the holes. Yes i can get another cut it to fit..BUT I still need to remove the T top trim peice.

so.. let me ask again... ANYONE KNOW HOW TO REMOVE THE FRONT TRIM OF THE T TOP?

THANKS
Denise

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2003 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Denise, you are new to the forum, but I think we were trying to be helpful, so maybe cut us a little slack huh?

The front T-top trim piece is riveted on. drill out the rivets and it will pop off.

does this help?

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 11-17-2003).]

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2003 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
Don't take this wrong Denise, but your questions and statements don't quite make sense.

The front trim piece IS that rounded strip that runs along the width of the car at the leading edge of the T-Top section.

That is help down by several rivets. I take it that you have this piece removed already.

Underneath that is the actual T-Top frame assembly. You don't really want to go removing this, it's a long procedure to drill all the rivets holding the T-Top frame in place, plus you really need frame spreaders to hold the car apart while this frame is removed.

The A pillar panel - thats the body panel around the windshield thats painted body color is sandwiched under the T-Top frame. To remove this you need to remove the T-Top frame first.

If you are trying to pull this panel, I'd recommend leaving it be and having it painted on the car, unless there is major unrepairable damage to that panel.

Any way you can get pics of what you want to remove?, pics are worth a thousand words

[This message has been edited by jelly2m8 (edited 11-17-2003).]

LuvMy2seater

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2003 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LuvMy2seaterSend a Private Message to LuvMy2seaterDirect Link to This Post
I'm not new.. just this name is new. I've been around for yrs. I'm not new to Fiero's either. Thanks! I'll look for the rivets. The top rear clip came off in quite easy.. even with all the mastic.

By the way. We are taking the panels.. and switching them with orginal color gold mettalic it was a tacky after market met blue. yuck.

Got this one from under a pine tree where it was for 4 or 5 yrs. started right up, showing only 79 k on the odmeter. SE 2.8 4 spd, no smoke. I've had it for 4 yrs now. time to get it d o n e. even though my black SE got most of my $ during it's Restore.

It's just when ever I ask a question...i get questions back more then answers

denise

------------------

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2003 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
let me guess, the name is new because your last username was banned for rudely responding to people who were trying to help you? I think we are trying to answer your questions but sugar goes a lot farther than vinegar.
LuvMy2seater

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2003 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LuvMy2seaterSend a Private Message to LuvMy2seaterDirect Link to This Post
ok. Jscott answered what i wanted to know.
My first posting I think was cleary saying the trim on the front of the Ttop. No..I don't plan to remove the Ttop assembly.
thanks guys stay cool

------------------

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2003 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Glad I could help
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2003 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Denise,

Check this link. Goes into a little more detail... http://www.fierottop.com/waterleak/

Also check out the main page. http://www.fierottop.com/

------------------
Raydar
88 3.4 coupe.

Coming soon...
88 Formula, presently under the knife.

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page