Started on: 11-17-2003 01:57 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: WikedV6 on 11-20-2003 11:03 AM
Black-Azz-GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2003 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
140k miles, runs very good and strong. How long will it last with 5 lbs of boost blowing through it?

I am buying a turbo kit for my new engine that I am building, but want to put the Turbo on my current engine, cause it looks easy and I just cant wait. What do yall think?

------------------
-Chris
85 GT
New Exhaust, No Cat, Flowmaster, Polly mounts, Intrax 2" drop springs, Sencetrack Struts and Shocks, 17" Gun Metal Wheels, Khumo Tires, Racing Seats, Grant Steering wheel, Carbon Fiber Dash and Shiter.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hoola47

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2003 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hoola47Send a Private Message to hoola47Direct Link to This Post
I'd like to know too, I bought a turbo for my car, and it has 190km on it, pulls strong still, and would like to know if its safe to add for now until I get more money to rebuild it with lower compression pistons and goodies?

------------------
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
Auto, soon to be 5 spd Getrag from 88 z24, Best 1/4 = 16.1 at 83mph, mods, wires, CRX intake, and power pulley. Planning Turbo 2.8 swap for a little more umph!!!!

Bought for 2500$ Canadian.

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2003 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
Bump
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2003 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I thought about turbo and didn't go there.

It is true that boost shortens the life of an engine. How much varies from engine to engine. There really is no measurement, but there is seat of the pants experience.

Some guys will say they never have had a problem in 2 years and tomorrow they'll throw a rod.

If I was doing it, I would put out the expense for forged pistons and stainless valves.

Cheaper in the long run.

If you are only going 5 psi, why not consider a carb? A Holley 390 is 15HP bolt-on minimum.

I'm planning on simple plumbing and a carb with Edelbrock intake and Flowmaster 2.5" and I expect a minimum of 170 hp and if I'm lucky 180hp.

Nothing dramatic, but a nice shot when you need it.

Good luck to the guys boosting. It is alot of fun to feel that turbo kick in.

------------------
Arn Brown

Street&Strip Performance

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2003 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Street&Strip PerformanceSend a Private Message to Street&Strip PerformanceDirect Link to This Post
You should be good for 5-8psi without any worries anything over 10psi is usually when you want to beef up the internals.

PS. It's Sensatrac struts and shocks.

[This message has been edited by Street&Strip Performance (edited 11-18-2003).]

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2003 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
I remember when motors didnt last 140k miles. Just dont build em like they used to. Thank God. (or Honda?) Unfortunatly, your actually the best judge of the shape of your motor. If you've taken good care of it, changing the oil & such, doesnt burn oil, no slight rod knocks, you should be OK. Theres an old wife's tale of "dont put a new head on an old block - you'll spin a bearing".
hoola47

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2003 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hoola47Send a Private Message to hoola47Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

If you are only going 5 psi, why not consider a carb? A Holley 390 is 15HP bolt-on minimum.

I was thinking carb too, but I think 5 psi is more than 15 horsepower

Thanks for the responses, I'll see how it goes.

------------------
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
Auto, soon to be 5 spd Getrag from 88 z24, Best 1/4 = 16.1 at 83mph, mods, wires, CRX intake, and power pulley. Planning Turbo 2.8 swap for a little more umph!!!!

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post11-18-2003 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
You could have your oil analyzed if you want to know the shape of your engine for sure.
Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-18-2003 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post

Howard_Sacks

1871 posts
Member since Apr 2001
I'd also do a compression check before and after a couple hundred miles on boost.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2003 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
The real determinate will be the way you drive the car. If you are "boost crazy", and many get that way, then you are going to have problems eventually. Good tuning is the key, and making sure the engine is not detonating. But understand that you are putting additional stress on the engine, so you are shortening its life.

But I would say go for it. That's what I did and eventually had to rebuild.

Why is everyone so into forged pistons? Not necessarily, absolutely needed, for a boosted engine. Especially considering the cost.

------------------
87 Fiero GT (3.2 soon to be turboed)www.angelfire.com/pa5/davidfiero/

hoola47

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hoola47Send a Private Message to hoola47Direct Link to This Post
Great suggestions, I'll look into a compression test first, and then later after a while on the boost.
Thanks

------------------
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

PFF
System Bot
Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-19-2003 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
You can make mistakes with forged pistons that a cast piston won't tolerate.(and they can be lighter then stock pistons and while you're replacing the piston, you can use good rings .. and and and)

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

Why is everyone so into forged pistons? Not necessarily, absolutely needed, for a boosted engine. Especially considering the cost.

hoola47

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2003 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hoola47Send a Private Message to hoola47Direct Link to This Post
Anyone know where I can get forged pistons in a lower compression for the fiero, in a slightly larger overbore?
rings?

------------------
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2003 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I do not believe that it is the best idea to boost high mileage engines. Boosting increases the stress on an engine. Turbocharging can cause already well worn components to fail. However, there may be one exception. If that engine was run with 100% synthetic oil from day one, a turbo would probably not hurt. Synthetic oil apparently has a dramatic effect on reducing wear. A friend of mine has a Ford turbo 2.3L with 160K miles. Not only does the engine burn no oil, the turbo has never been rebuilt....and it still runs well. Synthetic oil is costly but amazing stuff.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://www.turbochargerpower.com/turbo.htm

WikedV6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2003 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WikedV6Send a Private Message to WikedV6Direct Link to This Post
To me it not a good idea to run turbo's on a motor that was never built for forced induction. However if you use good tuning device and detonation management (0 knock retard) you may be ok for a while. with low boost. One thing I would do is a use a remote oil system where the turbo only see filtered oil. This way if you grenade your motor the turbo will be saved from all the blown up metal particles in the oil.

Good luck
Prasad

------------------
"Turbo Cars are like hot women. A little edgy, every guy wants one, some guys can't handle them, and if you throw a little alchohol in the mix they'll rock your world"
1986 GT (waiting for Buick GN setup trasplant)
1984SE 5 Speed W/SBC V8
1987 Buick GN(10.70@124MPH)
1987 Trans Am SBC 355cid Twin Turbo(no track times yet)
1992 GMC Typhoon(13.20@ 99mph)
Other cars; JaguarXJ6 & Mercedes AMG 500SEC

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock