Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  ECM/PCM guru's (Darth, Will , and others that I can't think of at the moment LOL)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

ECM/PCM guru's (Darth, Will , and others that I can't think of at the moment LOL) by LS1swap
Started on: 11-15-2003 09:17 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: LS1swap on 11-15-2003 03:35 PM
LS1swap

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2003 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
I heard on another forum that the LS1 PCM could be programed to control any GM electronic transmission. Is there any truth to this. It was a while back and at the time I wasn't too interested, and they were talking about other RWD auto tras. I know jack about pcm or how they control the shifting in an auto.

The reason being I am considering putting an electronic auto behind an LS(x)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2003 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
Contact Steve Cole at TTS and ask. He will know the LS1 code. If it's like the others, they answer is likely yes. This is for the 97+PCM's only.

Terry

Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2003 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post
I know that Darth is going to reprogram an LT1 PCM for my LT1 which is going in front of a 4T60E. He would be your best bet. If anyone can do it, it would be him.

------------------

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2003 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
LS1swap, as Mr. Pat said, I am currently working around the differences between the 4L60-E the LT1 computer wants to see and the 4T60-E it is going to control. Your situation may be a little more different and you might be better off going with the 4T65-E auto instead of the 4T60-E Mr. Pat is using. Tell you what, let me look at some wiring diagrams for the LS1 computer and late model 4L60-E transmission and get back to you on how you can use the LS1's computer to control a FWD tranny.

------------------
power corrupts. absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Custom GM Chip Burning | Fiero Engine Conversions | Turbocharging | dtcc.cz28.com

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2003 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Darth Fiero

5921 posts
Member since Oct 2002
Ok, I have looked over wiring diagrams for both the 4T65-E transmission and the 98 Camaro LS1 computer. According to my information, the 4T65-E should work with the LS1 computer, but there might be a few issues.

The 4T65-E has a trans range pressure switch that appears to be identical in function to the 4L60-E's. The exception is the 4T65-E has a pressure switch for TCC release and the LS1 computer does not this. No big deal.

The LS1 computer does have an output for a 3-2 downshift solenoid that the 4T65-E does not have. You will need to "pacify" the LS1 PCM into thinking there is a 3-2 sol by using the appropriate ballast resistor to simulate the electrical load of a solenoid.

The 4T65-E also has an Input Speed Sensor that will not be used by the LS1 computer. However, I believe the 4T65-E has a 29-31 tooth reluctor wheel for the VSS/output speed sensor. This sensor will register about 30 pulses per wheel revolution or about 22,000 pulses per mile for the standard size tire. The LS1 computer is going to be looking for a 40 tooth reluctor wheel mounted on the driveshaft which, with a rear axle ratio of 3.23, this would give the PCM about 130 pulses per wheel resolution or about 95,000 pulses per mile using the standard size tire. So as you can see, these two speed signals differ greatly. However, the LS1 computer should have tables that address the speedo and VSS sensor calibration so this should not be an issue. Other than that, I see no reason why the LS1 computer could not run the 4T65-E trans. In fact, it looks like this will be easier to do than what I am trying with Mr. Pat's LT1/4T60-E combo because the 4T60-E does NOT have a gear pressure switch.

In any event, I will let you know how this turns out for Mr. Pat.

LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2003 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
Yes keep us posted...... I was just curious what I was up against before I jump in with both feet. I am in no hurry to start, but have been batting around the idea. When I heard that the pcm could possibly control other autos I was more interested. Positives for all three of you

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock