What to do to use the 3.1 by dclink
Started on: 11-14-2003 08:51 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: The_Raven on 11-16-2003 12:59 AM
dclink

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2003 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dclinkClick Here to visit dclink's HomePageSend a Private Message to dclinkDirect Link to This Post
Well I couldn't find a decent 3.4 with low miles- but I found a promising 3.1 Lumina Mini van motor.

Reported to have about 60,000 miles. It is a '94.

Same money-$450 as the 3.4.

What do I have to do to change this motor? Starter is OK, right? How about engine mounts? Wiring? Injectors?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post11-15-2003 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Does the motor have iron heads? If so, swap in the Fiero heads and intake, use the stock Fiero injection system and ECM. You're putting this into a V6 Fiero, right? If not, then you'll need all of the ECM/wiring/injection system off the van. The Fiero heads are better than the van iron heads. If the van has aluminum heads then you're looking at a total engine swap, you can't use any of the Fiero ECM or injection system at all. You'll have to fabricate exhaust parts to connect the 3.1 engine's manifolts to the Fiero downpipe, etc.

A lot of the answers you need depend on knowing what you've got car-wise right now, and what heads the van engine has on it.

JazzMan

The_Raven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2003 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_RavenClick Here to visit The_Raven's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_RavenDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero heads are the same as the Lumina APV heads, same ports, same valves, same water jackets, etc.

------------------
The Raven :Under Construction
"James" 1985 GMC Jimmy, 3.2L turbocharged intercooled hybrid 13.873 @ 99.08

"Speed Costs, How fast do you want to go?"

dclink

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2003 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dclinkClick Here to visit dclink's HomePageSend a Private Message to dclinkDirect Link to This Post
Well, I got the 3.1. I used a magnet to check- it has iron heads.
I am putting this into my '86 v6 GT.

Is there a web site with photos, directions? Shoud I change out the water pump?

Do I need special mounts like the 3.4?

headhunter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2003 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for headhunterSend a Private Message to headhunterDirect Link to This Post
Hey, I'm in the process of doing a 3.1 right now too... the block is sitting in the garage now, just cleaning pistons. From what I understand, if you can certainly replace the water pump, and possibly do timing chain and oil pump. But from all my mechanic friends, "do the water pump".

Anyways I kept all my 2.8 intake stuff, have been porting and polishing as well everything and gasket matching. This takes time plus carbide bits if your interested.

Dunno how much hp exactly but judging from the roughness and mismatch of openings it should be an improvement.

Also get your headers done, ie atleast open them up so they flow properly.

but to let ya know... if i had to do it all again, i would have scrapped the 3.1 and gone for the caddy 4.9, from what i hear, they are dirt cheap(its highly suggested u just put the motor in, don't go ****ing with it), an awsome improvement in power, only wiring just seems to be an issue.

Ivan.

The_Raven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2003 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The_RavenClick Here to visit The_Raven's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_RavenDirect Link to This Post
I recently had a chance to see how the 4.9 was put together, and let me tell you, IMO the engenere was on some good crack that day, the way the heads are bolted on, the rocker girdles and how they attach, the way the intake is attached to the heads, all quite bassackwards.

I still like my 660s.

------------------
The Raven :Under Construction
"James" 1985 GMC Jimmy, 3.2L turbocharged intercooled hybrid 13.873 @ 99.08

"Speed Costs, How fast do you want to go?"

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay