gt purchase by Vaughan
Started on: 11-13-2003 07:43 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: DJRice on 11-14-2003 08:27 AM
Vaughan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2003 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VaughanSend a Private Message to VaughanDirect Link to This Post
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I have just sold my Maserati Merak and I am looking for an American sports car. I am going to take a look at 400hp 86gt. I have some concerns about the horse power. I have been monitoring the chats for a while an I just need some insite from someone that has been around a high HP cars like this and what I should look for. The car I am looking at was done professionally and the engine was built by an engine builder not a backyard car. I realize that the car only has a 8 gal. gas tank. Can another one be put in the car? Any thoughts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2003 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum. The smallest gas tank is in the pre-87 cars and has about a 10.5 gallon capacity. The later cars hold one gallon more. If the car you are looking at is truly 400 HP, you might have problems with breaking the stock tranny, and clutch slippage, especially if you plan to beat on it often.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2003 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Tranny is the issue.

The Pontiac 6000 transaxle works, as well as some others.

400 HP is nice, but your rear springs and shock absorbers will need to be beefed with that amount of torque on 2700 lbs.

What motor are you contemplating?

Vaughan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2003 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VaughanSend a Private Message to VaughanDirect Link to This Post
The car has installed a beafed up chev trans from a cavelier, and its a 3 speed auto. From my understanding the trans has no problem with the power.
naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2003 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum

Here's a thread about getting more fuel into the car, on of these options may be the way to go for your thirsty V8 //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/043429.html

------------------
Nick www.naskie18.com AIM: Naskie182010

1985FieroGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2003 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Your dropping a Maserati for a Fiero? Cool I guess. Look up the California Kid, Tina, and the few others with 400-450 hp sbc's.
DJRice

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2003 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DJRiceSend a Private Message to DJRiceDirect Link to This Post
400hp on a 3spd Auto??? Wow.

You probably want to have a conversation with Archie.
www.v8archie.com

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock