Pinging Problem on an 88' Coupe by HummelHund
Started on: 11-11-2003 08:49 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: nick2x88 on 11-12-2003 02:39 AM
HummelHund

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HummelHundSend a Private Message to HummelHundDirect Link to This Post
I've been battling a pinging under slight load problem in my 88' Coupe for some time now. I've replaced:
MAP Sensor
MAT Sensor
EGR Valve
O2 Sensor
All vacuum hoses
PCV
Fuel filter
Plugs, Wires

I took care to replace all of these with quality parts, using AC Delco replacements if I could. Even after all these parts, it still has a very slight rattle under load, which goes away if I floor it.

The next step for me is to fill up at a different gas station next time, to see if the actual gasoline is the problem. The car runs great and very smoothly the rest of the time.

So any opinions on the next thing to check? I need to get this fixed so I can start to work on getting it to sound less like there's a diesel under that valve cover.

------------------
88' Fiero Coupe 2.5L, silver 5-spd.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NINJAX

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NINJAXSend a Private Message to NINJAXDirect Link to This Post
Dont just try differnt gas but try higher octane. and bust out the timing light for good measure.
HummelHund

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HummelHundSend a Private Message to HummelHundDirect Link to This Post
The thing with trying higher octane is, won't that just cover up the real problem? The car should run ping-free on 87 octane, and I'd like to get it so it will.

And I was under the impression you didn't mess with the timing on the DIS cars. If you can, how would I go about adjusting it, I've got a timing light.

Thanks for the response, keep 'em coming!

nick2x88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nick2x88Send a Private Message to nick2x88Direct Link to This Post
NOTE: edited for readability

1988 Pontiac Fiero L4-151 2.5L
PROM - Multiple Driveability Concerns

Bulletin Number: 89-6-65 Reference Number:
Publish Date: 936516R 8/89
Subject: MULTIPLE DRIVEABILITY CONCERNS, FOR 2.5L ENGINE (INSTALLATION OF NEW PROM)

Models

Affected: 1987-89 6000, GRAND AM AND FIERO
This bulletin contains new and revised calibrations to address additional driveability conditions.

Some 1987-89 6000 and Grand Am and 1987-88 Fiero models may exhibit one or more of the following driveability conditions:

1. Hard Hot Engine Restart
2. Intermittent Higher Than "Normal" Idle
3. Spark Knock (Detonation)
4. Code 42

If these conditions cannot be addressed through normal service procedures, they may be repaired by installing the appropriate hardware as outlined below.

SERVICE PROCEDURE:

1) Use a scanner to determine the PROM I.D. that is currently in the vehicle.

2) Look for that PROM I.D. in Table 1 or Table 2 as indicated below, and select the corresponding required parts:

If the major condition is hard hot engine restart, use Table 1.

If hard hot engine restart is not the major problem, but the condition is intermittent high idle (similar to cold fast idle), spark knock, and/or Code 42, use Table 2.
3) Install the new parts and verify that the driveability conditions have been corrected.

Pontiac Table 1 -- TABLE 1 (SNIPPED)

Pontiac Table 2 -- Table 2 (see next post!)

Copyright © 2003 ALLDATA LLC
Terms of Use

[This message has been edited by nick2x88 (edited 11-11-2003).]

nick2x88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nick2x88Send a Private Message to nick2x88Direct Link to This Post

nick2x88

450 posts
Member since Feb 2003
nick2x88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nick2x88Send a Private Message to nick2x88Direct Link to This Post

nick2x88

450 posts
Member since Feb 2003
That's correct, there is nothing to adjust, there is not even any timing marks! Besides the PROM comments, you could check to make sure the plugs you have are the correct heat range, and that your EGR is working and not plugged up.

Originally posted by HummelHund:

The thing with trying higher octane is, won't that just cover up the real problem? The car should run ping-free on 87 octane, and I'd like to get it so it will.

And I was under the impression you didn't mess with the timing on the DIS cars. If you can, how would I go about adjusting it, I've got a timing light.

Thanks for the response, keep 'em coming!

Smooth 88coupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smooth 88coupeSend a Private Message to Smooth 88coupeDirect Link to This Post
I think that I had the same problem with my old car. If I remember correct it was the dog bone. It made a banging sound and a pinging sound. It kind of depends on the way that it looks. If the rubber is torn you might want replace it even if thats not making the noice. However, that fiero was the fiero from HELL!! It made all sorts of noice threw out its life with me. In fact if I were to fix everything that is wrong with in now it would still make something break.
HummelHund

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2003 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HummelHundSend a Private Message to HummelHundDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I never would have thought of the PROM being the problem. How do I go about scanning and changing it?

The EGR is a brand new AC Delco replacement, and it tests fine. I did notice some carbon deposits in the intake, I may end up taking it off and cleaning it out.

Smooth 88coupe- I've checked for things that could be ratting, and didn't find any. The dogbone is in good shape, so I don't think that's the problem.

RossT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2003 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTDirect Link to This Post
I would de-carbonize the car.

1. Run a good fuel system cleaner like techron thru the about 2 tanks of gas.

2. Clean out the TB with a good TB cleaner such as seafoam.

3. Run a good cleaner thru the oil such as seafaom. I personally use a product called www.auto-rx.com This was the only thing that stopped the pinging in my 85 k-10 truck. and like you, I tried everything. For more info on autorx check out www.bobistheoilguy.com and click on forums, then go to additives. This stuff is amazing!! Other than techron and seafoam it's the only additive product I would every use.

No more pinging for my truck.

BTW, that web site by bobistheoilguy will give you more infor about oil and lubricants than you really want or need to know about!!

[This message has been edited by RossT (edited 11-12-2003).]

nick2x88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2003 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nick2x88Send a Private Message to nick2x88Direct Link to This Post
most likely you could just pull the console, pull the little door on the ECM (two 6-point screws), and read the code right off the prom (there is a sticker on it). then match it up to the chart above.

You might try a full tank of 89 or higher, just to see how bad the problem is. If the best you can get (91 here in california, 93 elsewhere, maybe even 94?) won't make it go away, then you know (presumably) that it's either not in the motor, or that there really is a root cause (such as carbon buildup somewhere).

Has this motor been babied a lot/ driven at lots of low rpm's, etc.? The 2.5 is no powerhouse but an occassional run through the gears helps keep the combustion chambers clear on any motor, or so many people say.

Originally posted by HummelHund:

Wow, I never would have thought of the PROM being the problem. How do I go about scanning and changing it?

The EGR is a brand new AC Delco replacement, and it tests fine. I did notice some carbon deposits in the intake, I may end up taking it off and cleaning it out.

Smooth 88coupe- I've checked for things that could be ratting, and didn't find any. The dogbone is in good shape, so I don't think that's the problem.

------------------
88 4cyl 5spd & 88 Formula 5spd Formula is SOLD :( One day I'll have another...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock